back to article Adobe patches Reader flaw

Security watchers are warning of a critical flaw affecting older versions of Adobe Reader. Hackers might be able to exploit the bug using specially crafted pdf files with JavaScript content, Core Security warns. Ivan Arce, CTO at Core Security, said the security bug was discovered while investigating a previously disclosed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Michael
    Stop

I think you mean "foxit"

rather than "fixit".

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"affects older versions"

Does this include Acrobat 5, the one I use, because it's free of the major bloat in subsequent versions? Acrobat 5 reads everything it's ever needed to, despite the very occasional warnings about "files newer than your version"????

3. Vlad

Acrobat reader alternative?

I agree with AC's comments on Acrobat Reader bloat. I'm also sick of getting pop-up reminders about updates every time I open a PDF (and that's with a recent version of the program). Fair enough, it's good to know that they're offering updates to improve security, but as far as I know it's not possible to set the program to check for updates only once a month or so. I'm going to give an alternative - PDF Xchange Viewer a try.

4. Doug Glass
    Go

Why Worry...

...Be happy. Get rid of Adobe Reader and get Foxit Reader. Free, works beautifully, lasts a long time. Well, for Windows.

5. Matt Hines

Core security Vulnerability Advisory

Here's a link to the actual Core Security vulnerability advisory on the CoreLabs homepage: http://www.coresecurity.com/content/adobe-reader-buffer-overflow .

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like