back to article Softcat scores big in Scotland: Many a mickle makes a muckle

UK-based box shifting titan Softcat, is cock-a-hoop after bagging a lucrative contract worth up to £160m to fling software at the Scottish public sector. milk production line. Photo by SHutterstock Tsk-tsk, fat cat Softcat: Milk-slurping reseller taken to court READ MORE The single-source contract, which lasts for two years …

1. Oh Homer
    Headmaster

Mony a mickle maks a muckle

STFY

(Sorteeeed That Fir Ye)

Although technically it should be pickle not mickle (yes really).

1. Mandoscottie
      Happy

Re: Mony a mickle maks a muckle

dunno what walloper the scotsmans been sooking on but its mickle, always has been.

its scots slang for a small amount, just as muckle is a larger amount. mickle is a tight handfu whereas muckle is a slack handfu

many a pickle makes a lot...that doesnt even make sense loon ;o)

re: softcat, widnea gie them steam aff ma shite, no better than Maplins for "value" RIP.

got that bad cold calling me in the office, I also reported them for unsolicitied calls and our legal dept ripped them apart ;) no more Softcat calls.

Not even "get tae f**** woulda ya!" from a 6' angry tech jock worked.

1. Oh Homer

Re: Mony a mickle maks a muckle

Nope.

mickle (adj.)

dialectal survival of Old English micel, mycel "great, intense, big, long, much, many," from Proto-Germanic *mekilaz (source also of Old Saxon mikil, Old Norse mikill, Old High German mihhil, Gothic mikils), from PIE root *meg- "great." Its main modern form is much (q.v.).

1. Mandoscottie

Re: Mony a mickle maks a muckle (or many a little makes a lot)

Errr yup, its old scots slang, it means little, being a Scot myself i can assure you it means a little in scots.

along the lines of the old saying "look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves." pennies = mickle amount of money pounds = muckle amount of money.

Used every day in spoken scots, just as pockled is (means exhausted)

2. Martin Summers Silver badge

Softcat? Good luck with that. They've messed up everything that I've ever been involved with them for and they were reasonably small things. When I moved jobs they would call persistently to try and win business despite being told we'd never deal with them. Last occasion the only way the guy would consider not calling us again was if we put the request in writing. Which I did to their data protection address. They've stopped calling now, I dare them to try again!

1. Jay 2
      Happy

Interesting, as I've pretty much had the opposite experience. Maybe it's because our account manger is a perfectionist, but I've never had any big problems. As I've said before in comments somewhere they put the value add into VAR for us. Mind you, some of their competitors don't help themsleves with not being able to correctly read emails with server specs in them or taking days to provide a quote.

1. 0laf
        Meh

I think overall our experience was, 'meh'. But then we deal with Crapita and NGA a lot so that does skew one's perspective of 'bad'.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Softcat used to purr, now they've gone wild

Ever since their stockmarket listing, management have evidently adopted a more wild-cat stance to keep those numbers up for the shareholders.

Latest nasty trick in Softcat's book is calling up resellers and trying to act as middleman for resellers.

When asked why one should loose margin to a middleman reseller when one should normally go higher up the channel to a disty, all they can offer is some artificial promises of "better pricing" (yeah, right, pull the other one).

But the big whopper comes when you ask "what about conflict of interest ?". They state they can offer nothing firm, just a "gentleman's agreement" from your Softcat greasy sales rep.

So basically disgusting predatory behaviour in order to gain more clients through the back door. You know what will happen, the sales reps will be sacked, your clients are already on their database, you ask them about the "gentleman agreement" the answer will be "what agreement ?".

4. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

But what do they do?

bloody middlemen.

Nice gig if you can get it.

1. Thomas Chippendale

Re: But what do they do?

They may appear to add no value: but do not underestimate the vital importance of a sanitised telephone.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon