back to article Dell scrambles onto de-dupe bandwagon

Dell has jumped on the Quantum/EMC de-dupe bandwagon and is developing a single block-level de-dupe and replication architecture spanning its own, Quantum and EMC storage arrays. De-duplication involves detecting and removing repeated block-level patterns of data in a file and replacing them with pointers thus reducing the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Eddie Edwards
    Paris Hilton

Rookie question

I'm a programmer and what goes on in the data centre is a mystery to me, so this question might be very very stupid.

If you have multiple backups of the same data, and you "de-dupe" it, doesn't that mean you now only have one backup of that piece of data, so only one point of failure?

How does that help? Surely if you're running full backups you want discrete copies rather than de-duped copies, which are more-or-less equivalent to an incremental backup?

And, conversely, if you want de-duped backup data you just run an incremental backup in the first place, without paying anyone a dime for de-dupe techonology.

What am I missing here? De-dupe sounds like a stupid idea for backup data.

Paris, because I wanted an icon with a question mark on it, and I can see the IT angle.

2. amanfromMars Silver badge

SMARTer Enabling QuantumWwwware ..... for the Virtual Space Time Traveller

"If you have multiple backups of the same data, and you "de-dupe" it, doesn't that mean you now only have one backup of that piece of data, so only one point of failure?" ... By Eddie Edwards Posted Monday 3rd November 2008 16:13 GMT

Eddie, You also have one point of Source thus is all Progress of Mutual Mind and Mutually MetaDataMined. Which is QuITe Clever.

3. Warhelmet

Monkey Gland Extract

Can I has Fuse?

4. Tony Paulazzo
    Coat

Doubleplusgood

I used to think I was... not stupid... until I read this article. Is this like non lossy JPG? surely squashing the data down further and further until it reaches a quantum singularity will drag everyones' data into a binary black hole. I can see the Reg headline now:

Cloud computing disappears up its own backside.

That's it, I'm off to rebuild a PC (faster, stronger, better - we can rebuild you), and make myself feel better.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

c:\windows\

Eddie,

"And, conversely, if you want de-duped backup data you just run an incremental backup in the first place, without paying anyone a dime for de-dupe techonology."

where you're backing-up dozens or hundreds or thousands of machines/VMs including their OS system files, that still leaves a lot of duplicated data.

I would imagine you'd still want to keep multiple backups, maybe on different sets of disks/different locations..

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like