back to article MOS-SAD: Israeli govt weighs in on Facebook privacy, promises action

Facebook – already kicked around the block by politicians in the US and Europe over privacy in the wake of the Cambridge Analytica scandal – has come under fire from Israel. Both government ministers and visiting dignitaries waded into the fray at the Cyber Week conference in Tel Aviv on Thursday. “We must ensure that global …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Why do you allow this to happen but not for the government that wants to protect you to collect intelligence?"

Mmm, lets see, corporation that uses the data to try and sell me stuff or government "hidden agency" that wants to control through fake news and enable totalitarianism, tough choice that one. Personally I choose neither.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Zuckerberg found dead in bed - suspected 'Heart Attack'

The west is too soft... Congress Q&A? ... A bad joke! .. Lets see how Zuk's testofmoney holds up when Mossad send in a hit-squad. No one fucks with the Israelis, absolutely no one. That's why the White House has been called a cabal of pro-Israeli interests for years. Enjoy what you've got coming Zuk!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Zuckerberg found dead in bed - suspected 'Heart Attack'

Zuckerberg - The clues in the name, Facebook helps Trump win election with Russians, Trump is pro-Israeli. Why on earth would the Israeli's have a problem with Zuck?

1. Schultz
        Stop

"Zuckerberg - The clues in the name"

Now how would you address that issue? Maybe hire IBM to create a database (don't forget to create a sensibly graded system for those of mixed ancestry), make them wear a star so they can be recognized, ...? Of course the same critique applies to the OP with his 5 beautiful upvotes. Your racist comments disgust me.

Now wheres the Grammar Nazi when you need him.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: "Zuckerberg - The clues in the name"

Excuse me? What the hell was racist about my comment? I am just stating a fact. He is Jewish and has a Jewish name, why would Mossad attack a Jewish person? If you fail to see the logic in that hypothesis then I'm not sure what to say. I also think my point about Facebook meddling in the election to help Trump win as being pro-Israeli grounded in facts, Trump has moved the embassy, ripped up the Iran deal and left the UNHRC because of criticism of the Israeli/Palestine situation. You can't get any more pro-Israeli policy than that. Therefore Zuckerberg is absolutely fine and has nothing to worry about from Mossad and so is Facebook. Feel free without using slanderous comments to offer a differing opinion though if you felt offended by my choice of words then I do sincerely apologise.

2. Alumoi Silver badge
          Trollface

Now wheres the Grammar Nazi when you need him.

Did somebody call me?

I see 2 main problems: where's and Grammer Nazi

1. Waseem Alkurdi
            Trollface

@Alumoi

Did somebody call me?

I see 2 main problems: where's and Grammer Nazi

Grammar Nazi, it's your turn to be Grammar Nazi'd!

Grammar Nazi, not Grammer Nazi !

xD

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> IBM to create a database (don't forget to create a sensibly graded system for those of mixed ancestry), make them wear a star so they can be recognized,

IBM and the Nazi were bad during WW 2 to the jude.

Now Zuck and his fellow investors took the role model of IBM, merging personal data of everyone and provide it to the bad guys. Kind of revenge. Conclusion, both parties are bad. And both tech companies have no ethics.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Typical anti-semitism, insinuating that the Jews have loyalties not to their own countries but only to other Jews. You are probably a Labour party member.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

'why would Mossad attack a Jewish person?'

You're looking at this all wrong! Facebook collates highly detailed profiles and leaks or sells that data to anyone who pays! In the hands of 'enemies' that data makes it easier to target Jews. So logically the Israelis see that as a threat. Don't forget history is littered with Jews who collaborated with oppressors. So your logic of Zuk is Jewish, therefore he's protected is questionable!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: 'why would Mossad attack a Jewish person?'

You make a good point but I doubt even Facebook would allow people to identify people based on religion, it might let you serve ads to them but it's not going to help you identify the individuals, can you imagine the outrage? I'm also pretty sure that's got to be illegal in many jurisdictions.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

'I doubt even Facebook would allow people to identify people based on religion'

"The New York Times reported. It said it discovered some device partners could retrieve users’ relationship status, RELIGION, political leanings and upcoming events, among other things."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-04/facebook-disputes-report-it-grants-phone-makers-deep-data-access

----------------------

"The same watchdog fines Facebook 1.2 million euros for failing to obtain proper consent to collect and store sensitive personal data, including information on gender, RELIGION & internet use"

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-20/facebook-s-long-history-of-resolving-privacy-claims-on-the-cheap

2. Waseem Alkurdi

Re: 'why would Mossad attack a Jewish person?'

@Anonymous Coward (1)

can you imagine the outrage?

Like how we seen the public give a shit?

I'm also pretty sure that's got to be illegal in many jurisdictions.

Like how Cambridge Analytica's work was rewarded, er, punished?

@Anonymous Coward (2)

I understand the idea behind your comment, but I have some objections:

You're looking at this all wrong!

You can't be really sure what's wrong and what's right nowadays.

Everything is right, yet wrong at the same time.

Facebook collates highly detailed profiles and leaks or sells that data to anyone who pays!

That's their business model.

"Dumb fucks." -Zuk

In the hands of 'enemies' that data makes it easier to target Jews.

And so is the fact that a Jew has a Jewish name or lives in Israel. You don't need Facebook for that, if you were to target Jews (or anybody else for that matter). The White Pages works just as well. Go on.

So logically the Israelis see that as a threat.

So what you're saying is that they're following the policy of burned ground, where they set fire to an interest that benefits them and their opposition at the same time?

I beg to differ sir. The advantages of an all-seeing eye that is Facebook outweigh the disadvantages, from a tactical standpoint.

Don't forget history is littered with Jews who collaborated with oppressors. So your logic of Zuk is Jewish, therefore he's protected is questionable!

You know something? I do agree with your last sentiment. In this dirty business, there's no "friend, foe". Everybody and everything, Jew or otherwise, is an ally until the benefit is gone, at which they become consumable, expendable cannon fodder. We've seen that a lot in history.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Mossad won't hurt Zuck, both have the same religion.

[why everything gets censored these days?]

3. GIRZiM

Why?

"Why do you allow this to happen but not for the government that wants to protect you to collect intelligence?"

Let me see now.

What could go wrong if the service provider takes a dislike to what I do with my account/app/phone? I'm not sure but I suspect they exercise their Ts&Cs and cut me off/block me, rather than sending some burly men to cuff my hands painfully behind my back, put a 'spit hood' over my head and sit me in an unwelcoming room in which an even less friendly individual will shout "YOU DONE IT! WE KNOW YOU DONE IT! JUST ADMIT YOU DONE IT AND WE'LL TAKE THE RAT OUT OF YOUR ANUS AND YOUR BELL-END OUT OF THE MAGIMIX!"

What could go wrong if the government takes a dislike to what do with my account/app/phone? Dunno but it's probably less pleasant than having some Ts&Cs thrown in my face.

4. serendipity

Democracy?

"As a western democracy..."

Really? So the rights of your Arab citizens are fully respected then?

1. GrumpyKiwi

Re: Democracy?

You mean the ones that have voted in Arab MP's in the Israeli parliament? The ones that sit on the judges bench in the Israeli justice system? The ones that hold a General's rank in the Israeli army? Those Arab citizens?

Israel's problems are not with it's Arab citizens. It's with those next door who like to throw their gays off high buildings, execute dissidents in front of their families, construct bomb factories in schools and hospitals and chant 'death to the Jews, kill them all'.

1. wolfetone Silver badge

"You mean the ones that have voted in Arab MP's in the Israeli parliament? The ones that sit on the judges bench in the Israeli justice system? The ones that hold a General's rank in the Israeli army? Those Arab citizens?"

He's referring to the doctors, the journalists and the civilians who are shot dead like fish in a barrel just because they're throwing some rocks or trying to help those shot for throwing rocks.

And I don't need to draw your attention to the illegal settlements that make up Israel, do I? They're not very democratic.

1. MrRimmerSIR!

You mean the ones who were shot... and who just happened to be active members of Hamas, Islamic Jihad etc.? You know, the ones who wanted to break through the fence and kill all the villagers next door? Next you'll be telling us it was a peaceful protest!

"You mean the ones who were shot... and who just happened to be active members of Hamas, Islamic Jihad etc.? You know, the ones who wanted to break through the fence and kill all the villagers next door? Next you'll be telling us it was a peaceful protest!"

Well, lets be honest. Israel have been killing Palestinians for years for those villagers to live on land that doesn't belong to them. And, to be even more bluntly honest, it's only Israeli news outlets that are saying that. Outside journalists (like the one shot by an Israeli sniper) themselves weren't Jihadists. They weren't members of Hamas either and have reported as such. They were innocent human beings forced in to something akin to South African apartheid, against their wishes, which is resembling genocide every month.

If I rocked up to your house, took over your garden and your kitchen, and built a big wall around where YOU live, you'd be throwing rocks and stones at me too. Wouldn't you?

1. MrRimmerSIR!

At least you don't try to dress up your anti-semitism.

So only Israeli media say they were members of Hamas? I suppose this site is part of a global Jewish conspiracy then... https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/maureen-clare-murphy/50-hamas-members-claim-does-not-justify-gaza-massacre. Please let me know if I missed the refutation.

How about CNN? https://edition.cnn.com/2018/05/16/middleeast/hamas-members-gaza-deaths/index.html

"those villagers to live on land that doesn't belong to them". From the river to the sea?

"At least you don't try to dress up your anti-semitism."

You need to read up on your definition of anti-semitism, and apologise for daring to accuse me of such a vile thing.

Being critical of Israel as a country has absolutely nothing to do with anti-semitism. I haven't mentioned the Jewish faith, and I haven't mentioned the countless Jews who, too, appose Israel in their genocide of the Palestinians.

Get back under whatever rock you crawled out of.

1. MrRimmerSIR!

You're not an anti-semite? Really?

Perhaps you should read this example of a definition then...

https://www.holocaustremembrance.com/working-definition-antisemitism

"Denying the Jewish people their right to self-determination, e.g., by claiming that the existence of a State of Israel is a racist endeavor."

Tick.

"Applying double standards by requiring of it a behavior not expected or demanded of any other democratic nation."

Tick.

i could go on but I can't be arsed to trawl through your other posts on the subject.

Do tell me how you're getting on with protesting against the Turkish genocide in or what Iran/Saudi Arabia are doing to Yemen. When you start giving a shit about all the other conflicts in the world (noting that the Syrian civil war for instance has killed almost half a million people compared to the 80000 in the whole of Israel's existence), then you can stand on your moral high ground preaching.

2. MrRimmerSIR!

Perhaps you can tell me if this guy is an Israeli stooge then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=9-umTdeh_bQ

I'm sure your Arabic is better than mine, so please feel free to validate the translation from this article

https://www.memri.org/tv/hamas-minister-interior-and-national-security-fathi-hammad-slams-egypt-over-fuel-shortage-gaza

1. Waseem Alkurdi

@MrRimmerSIR!

At least you don't try to dress up your anti-semitism.

Aaaah, that anti-zemitizm scarecrow again. You wave it in the face of anybody who dares say a word. It's become obsolete, friend. Try something else.

So only Israeli media say they were members of Hamas? I suppose this site is part of a global Jewish conspiracy then...

https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/maureen-clare-murphy/50-hamas-members-claim-does-not-justify-gaza-massacre.

Please let me know if I missed the refutation.

First, the media says. "The media" is a collective noun that's treated as singular even when it comes in the plural.

Back to the topic at hand:

Have you read the article you cited? Or is it blind copy-paste? The refutation to your VERY point is in the same article, or actually, the same article (itself).

I find your way of thinking really strange, my friend.

"those villagers to live on land that doesn't belong to them". From the river to the sea?

Using your own "axiom" to justify that the land you live on belongs to you? That's a breakthrough in proving land ownership, frankly.

Maybe I should dream up some "axiom" as well and take over Paris, France? Maybe something to the tune of "From the Eiffel Tower to the Seine?"

Perhaps you can tell me if this guy is an Israeli stooge then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=9-umTdeh_bQ

I'm sure your Arabic is better than mine, so please feel free to validate the translation from this article

https://www.memri.org/tv/hamas-minister-interior-and-national-security-fathi-hammad-slams-egypt-over-fuel-shortage-gaza

I have to reiterate what the other commentator has said:

Israelis drove Palestinians out of their homes and built walls around their towns.

And you're expecting they cry and give you roses and doves instead of showing resistance?

This is called action-reaction. You do something, you get the response.

5. JassMan

Actions speak louder than words

If they were really concerned about privacy they would support some of the free open source mobile OS initiatives such as UBports Touch, KDE plasma or PureOS. The Israelis supposedly have some of the best programmers in the world, so why not show it by either funding one or more of these OSes or writing some killer apps which give Linux some traction on mobile devices. By providing the source we can all check to see that they are not putting in backdoors/ accessing other parts of the system for they have no valid reason. A good starting point would be to make the UBPorts installer allow you to install any of the other flavours of linux.

IMHO Tizen is guaranteed to fail because the user has no more control over rights than they do in Android, which is not helped when they provide games which want access to your phone contacts, turn internet on/off, read location etc when there is no obvious reason for any of these.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Mr. Diskin--It's not hypocritical at all to not want government access to smartphone data

The last I heard, as big and powerful as they were, neither Facebook, Google or Apple had the legal power to levy taxes or penalties, to arrest and detain, to impound property, to restrict your rights to travel across borders or via certain transportation modes.

And these companies are ultimately answerable to the marketplace. If they really screw up, then they will lose users, advertisers and developers, and someone else will invent a less intrusive platform if that is what the market demands. Meanwhile if Mossad or some other intel agency oversteps the law, the worst that will happen is that a director or assistant director will get thrown to the wolves, and the underlying organization and culture will march merrily on its taxpayer-funded way.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Facebook – already kicked around the block by politicians in the US..

Hmmm, I must have missed that happening.

Did this "kicking" happen before or after the episodes where geriatric congress critters with no knowledge of how FB works threw softball questions at Zuckerberg?

Mark has shown time and time again that he is a compulsive liar or is willfully ignorant of just how much user data has been exploited.

Facebook is the biggest rootkit ever pushed on to the world!

Hidden Facebook pixels or invisible Facebook buttons running on almost every website.

Marks world vision "Graph" and his Graph API are inside the vast majority of apps on the Play Store and third party sites known for distributing repackaged and malicious apps and Mark gives users data away by purpously leaving filtered intents open in the manifest of his official app for all to slurp.

https://commonsware.com/blog/2013/04/17/do-not-have-accidental-api.html

http://blog.palominolabs.com/2013/05/13/android-security/index.html

Mark even created an emblem of his Graph world vision and had it sewn on the inside of his jacket:

https://christconquers.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/facebook-mission-symbol.png

8. JohnFen

I disagree

" It’s better to “pay in privacy than pay in human life,” Diskin asserted."

I disagree with Diskin here.

While this is more of a spectrum than a binary choice, and I actually fall more toward the center of that spectrum, I do generally agree with the sentiment that I'd rather live as a free person in an unsafe world than an unfree person in a safe world.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's great to know that as soon as you see an article about either Israel or someone of Jewish heritage the comments will be riddled with anti-semitism before you even read them! What a wonderful time to be alive!

1. MrRimmerSIR!

Indeed, it is fascinating to see how much hatred is directed against Israel, out of all proportion and with complete disregard to other similar situations around the world.

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/why-do-you-hate-israel/21297

2. Waseem Alkurdi

anti-semitism

More of the anti-zemitizm scarecrow. That's typical of despotic regimes. We live in a free world where we have the right to speak our minds with regards to issues of the world and say what we see as right.

Waving your anti-zemitizm flags against people who critisize Israel is against the right of free expression. By the way, criticism of Israel and Zionism != criticism of Jews!

A good man called Descartes once said, "I loathe what you said but I defend to my death your right to say it."

This despotic attitude is so 1930. Time to get a life.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like