back to article Relocated Oz croc menaces tourist beaches

Oz's Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is taking a bit of stick for relocating a 3.5-metre crocodile to a north Queensland creek from where it has menaced nearby tourist beaches, the Australian reports. The EPA trapped the beast earlier this year 1000km south of its current home, close to the Cape York community of Bamaga …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Peyton
    Joke

Townsville you say?

Surely someone can just call the Powerpuff Girls in to deal with it...

(http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/tv_shows/ppg/ if that reference doesn't translate across the pond)

2. Paul L Daniels
    Pirate

Too close to home

You know, I read TheRegister to laugh at the crap happening to people in far away places, now I see this article and it's right in my backyard.

To be fair, we love our crocs here - they make excellent tourist-catchers, especially tourists who've watched far too many Steve 'Crikey' Irwin reruns - "Hunny, do you see the size of that... *CHOMP*"

3. Lee T.
    Pirate

Mmmmm, Croc

"The saltwater crocodile is an opportunistic apex predator capable of taking animals up to the size of an adult male water buffalo, either in the water or on dry land. They have also been known to attack humans."

saw plenty of salties in the Northern Territory.

wouldn't want to try to fight one (you'd lose, particularly if it was the croc jumping you and not the other way around)

tasty though.

4. Christoph
    Coat

Does that mean ...

If the crocodile has established a new home, does that make it Crocodile Dunroamin?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

See what happens

Steve Irwin goes to the great beyond and the crocs start taking over. I'm tellin' ya', it was that whole putting his finger up their cloaca that kept them in line.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

that's what i was wondering

Why hasn't this thing been thinned, skinned, and eaten yet?

7. Bad Beaver

so much

for romantic nights at the beach. Could get a lot more exiting than expected.

8. yeah, right.

drawcard?

More like tourists are a drawcard for crocs. Yum, crispy on the outside, squishy bits, then crunchy. What's not to love?

9. This post has been deleted by its author

10. David
    Coat

Never mind the crocs, here's my...

"Cape York is 1000km south of Townsville"..?!#!? Eh?

For crying out loud mate, y'er holding yer bloody map of Oz upside down again! Remember, the map of Tassie belongs at the bottom! (or more commonly, just in front of the bottom, depending on your particular projection... ;).

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mwahahaha

Gotta love the EPA... Deal with them on occasion and well this speaks for its self

12. wayne

Power Puff Girls might have got him, at least the plastic shopping bags did ;)

Last night, it was on the news. I think it was dead, ate something like 6 or 12 plastic shopping bags, an inflatable float, and something else, or two.

You guys are a bit slow ion the funny news aren't you. Parliament finished last Thursday and they have gone back to the capital.

> By Peyton Posted Friday 31st October 2008 13:35 GMT

> Surely someone can just call the Powerpuff Girls in to deal with it...

> (http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/tv_shows/ppg/ if that reference doesn't translate across the pond)

The irony does not escape people from the rival city Cairns. I was once thinking of going to Townsville, and that great big, Welcome to Townsville, "the capital of North Queensland" sign, and put a great big "The Home of the Power Puff Girls" sign underneath it. I had this nice great big Power Puff Girl poster picture frame too that I picked up cheap at the $2 shop to potentially go with it. Don't suppose I can do it now, too old, and the police would be able to trace me through this post :(.

Wayne.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like