back to article Oz pub dishes up really crap ice cream

A Sydney family's Sunday lunchtime in the pub has provoked a major rumpus after the hostelry allegedly served them with faeces-laced ice cream, Oz's Daily Telegraph reports. Stephen and Jessica Whyte, their three kids and chums Patrick and Tina Elliott were in the Coogee Bay Hotel's brasserie on 3 October to watch a rugby …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

"...who said she "now struggled when wiping her youngest son's bottom..."

What, now she's afraid there might be ice cream there?

2. Thomas
    Coat

Shitstorm inc.

'Nuff said.

3. Secretgeek
    Unhappy

I'm sorry, what?

Jessica Whyte, who said she "now struggled when wiping her youngest son's bottom...".

I really don't get that sentence. Has she suffered an unrelated hand injury? Or did she get a taste for it and is struggles to overcome the temptation to just try a bit?

Oh dear, I think I've disgusted myself.

Still, a new twist on 'chocolate log' I suppose.

Ok, now I feel ill.

4. Alex Wright
    Stop

Seesh!

A simple DNA test ought to be able to sort this out. Why all this nonsense and threat of lawsuits?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

What no DNA databse?

nuff said.

6. Tony

DNA

A quick DNA test on the offending matter should resolve this, surely?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

never complain in a restaurant, until

you have had all your food... simple...then if you are not happy don't tip.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

I think I see what's happened here..

Is this connected to the Reg story last week about the new beer measure in pubs? (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/24/new_beer_measure/).

Irish bloke goes into a pub at lunchtime and says "lager, please"

Barman says "A whole pint?"

"Nah.. two turds'll be fine.."

Mine's the one with the undigested sweetcorn in the pocket.

9. hugh
    Paris Hilton

serving poo in an ice cream glass?

reminds me of a video I saw on the internet once.

10. Steven Foster

It was all going well until...

The last comment about Jessica Whyte suddenly being unable to wipe her sons ass and go out eating. I agree they have a case if they were actually served shit but there's no need to phone it in to that extent. It's like people claiming to be on anti-depressants and unable to work after tripping over a paving stone and sueing the Council.

11. Jim Coleman
    Coat

Apparently

That quality establishment also has on the menu;

Turd in the Hole

Fish 'n' Shits

Shrimp & Crap Sandwiches

Fresh Chocolate Log

Arse Biscuits

Roast Backside of Beef

...and mine's the one with the pooper scooper in the pocket

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not a bad pub

I like the Coogee Bay Hotel. The beer tastes like piss but that normal for australia.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@DNA

DNA in the poo? So you want to test the DNA of the vegetable matter to see what veggy's theyv'e been eating? Oh sorry you mean you want to DNA test the poo to see who done it? I think you need to do some background reading before you post these suggestions. Suffice it to say that such a test would be very unlikely to produce any useful results.

Anyway even if the test was feasible who is to say the poo was produced by staff at the restaurant? It could be something they scooped up in the street.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Fine Dining

So who said australia wasnt know for its fine dining :)

15. Jared Earle
    Happy

Don't tip?

Yeah, don't give them extra money that is supposed to be a gratuity. That'll learn 'em. When did tips become obligatory?

If I want to show my displeasure, I find a 2p tip is much more of an affront than no tip at all. It shows you didn't merely forget.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@DNA

I seem to remember reading here, in The Reg, that the Israelis have technology for identifying dogs from their poo. I would guess they extract bits of intestine lining from the shit and do the DNA test on that.

17. Barry

DNA in poo

I'm pretty certain you can get human DNA from (human) poo.

The lining of the intestines is constantly being shed. All they have to do is pickup upon specifically those cells, and they can track the perp.

18. Dan
    Stop

$1 million?!

@Hugh

There I was, merrily NOT thinking of 2g1c until you came along...

@Jim Coleman

Very good! I'm liking those...

19. Chris

(with apologies to Monty Python)

Now a lot of people poo-poo Australian gastropubs, which is a shame as they have a lot offer the discerning gastronome. A particular favourite is the Outhouse in Brisbane, that serves a particularly piquant dunny burger. Also recommended is the sheep dip sherry cake - a must for fans of regurgitation, as this one's famed for opening the sluice gates at both ends.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Kevin Bacon Defence?

If it's not sh1t.

they must acquit!

21. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Bonus!

At least they got some ice cream, in many places in the UK you still only get fed shit.

22. Andy ORourke
    Happy

@ Jim Coleman

Just been to my son's student digs and noticed they had saved money on shopping by visiting Lidl, they had some imitation nutella called.......... Nut Nougat!

23. jake Silver badge

In this neck of the woods ...

... that kitchen would get shut down by the board of health until they got to the ... er ... bottom of the situation.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

I think I would

Rather feed a handful of knuckles to the knothead that served up that excrement delight and see how they like the taste of that.

25. Neoc

Lack of believability

When I first heard of the story (I live in the area) I was astounded at the stupidity of the family - they took the ice-cream away to have it independently tested.

Read that again: *They* took the ice-cream away.

Anyone with half an ounce of brains would have called the cops and gotten *them* to take the ice-cream away - there is now no way to "prove" that the ice-cream in the container is the same as left the building (unless, as someone pointed out, they check the poo for appropriate material to DNA, assuming it wasn't the dog's). A defence lawyer will have field day with the lack of tracking of the "evidence".

In other words, regardless of who is guilty this case is a no-show. Thanks for not bothering.

26. Adrian Esdaile
    Boffin

Some questions...

M'lud and members of the jury, I'd like to put two questions to plaintiff if I may; firstly, how did the plaintiff know that the icecream, quote "tasted like poo" unquote, and secondly, why, if the plaintiff could clearly ascertain the aroma using her olfactory sense, did she then proceed to place icecream that, quote "smelled like poo" in her mouth?

27. gg
    Thumb Up

the state government was probing the matter

nuff said already

28. Ian Tunnacliffe

OhMyGod - I've stayed in that hotel!

All I remember about that restaurant was that it was infernally cold - it was July. No poo in the puds to my recollection.

29. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Suspicions

Let me see, a whole family who has close relations with a branch of pubs, goes to dine at a competitor's pub, raises a fuss over some trivial matter, gets a complimentary ice cream, then accuses pub manager of serving human waste with it. Media takes to the story like flies to, um, right.

Let me try a different scenario : guy who owns a pub asks his sister to go trash his competitor's reputation. Sister kindly obliges and packs some dog doo and the rest of her family for the mission. When the complimentary ice cream comes along (proof that the pub owner has a sense of commerce as of yet unknown in Paris), she sees her opportunity and strategically stores the dung, then accuses the competitor with holy wrath. The almighty ruckus that follows means mission accomplished. Original pub owner now smug over his teleguided victory, and tabloids all over the world have three days of subject matter. Money shower is an additional bonus which family will conscientiously spend at brother's pub (if they get it).

30. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Am I missing a part of the story here?

"My question is: 'Did Kevin Bacon put the faeces in the ice-cream?'"

Objection m'lud! What has this actually got to do with anything?

31. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

@AC 11:42 re: kevin Bacon

But if Chewbacca lives on Endor...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like