back to article Windows Server 2008 SP2 gets new support model

Windows Server 2008 SP2, which exits extended support on January 14, 2020, is getting a new support model. A Tuesday, June 12 blog post from the Windows Server Team announced the change, which will see the server adopt the “monthly quality rollup” scheme Microsoft brought to Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 as of October 2016. The …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Install only security UPDATEs to avoid Surveillance

Install only "security only quality UPDATE" (= security updates)

Avoid "ROLLUP", those patches just add Surveillance to former offline parts. (valid for Win 7 and Server 2008 R2)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Install only security UPDATEs to avoid Surveillance

"Avoid "ROLLUP", those patches just add Surveillance to former offline parts. (valid for Win 7 and Server 2008 R2)"

You allow unauthenticated internet access?! Otherwise it wont be able do anything. Not that it monitors anything of note on corporate Windows / server anyway.

2. big_D Silver badge

Roll-ups

are fine for clients or servers, where no additional software is installed.

For production machines with diverse software, having roll-ups can be awkward, as certain updates can break certain software. At least with the individual updates, you can pick and choose the ones that are compatible with your production software. That then leaves you open to chose other actions, if a security patch breaks something, for example, such as segmenting the network and firewalling the server in its own zone.

3. Snow Wombat
    Facepalm

Rollups suck...

They suck when one of the KB's breaks something critical, in a 20 patch KB rollup, and you have to uninstall the entire thing, then re install the 19 patches manually.

Idiotic.

1. big_D Silver badge

Re: Rollups suck...

Yes and no... As a user, I love roll-ups. I've been saying for years that Windows should have them. It makes setting up a new PC much easier - one or 2 patches and you're done, not 150 patches, reboot, 120 patches, reboot, 10 patches, reboot, 20 patches, reboot, 40 patches, reboot... Until all the patches for the last 10 years have been installed.

On the other hand, having the option to go roll-up or individual for machines with a delicate software stack would be better.

2. Amos1

Re: Rollups suck...

Oh, you mean like March 2018 where we could not deploy the sole patch because of how it massively screwed things up so we were pushed out of our "all critical patches within 30 days of release" compliance requirement?

4. Christopher Rogers

F*ck patching and everything to do with it.

1. Severus

LOL Chris, had some bad experiences here have we? You and me both!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Most shops hold on to old server OS for one reason

holding on to old applications.

In my experience IT is not given much control of application lifecycles, they are just expected to "deal with it"

Roll on the time I can charge my business areas more for each outdated platform version they insist I hang on to. They also don't realise that to maintain the old development tools, I also have to look after out of date desktops too.

Maybe I need to nuke them from orbit "just to be sure"...

1. a handle

Re: Most shops hold on to old server OS for one reason

We have a Building Management System running on 2008r2. The software does not support newer Windows. It'll be $30,000 to upgrade the Bms. Locked in by Windows and the lockin costs hey!

If it wasn't for the fact that it's a Siemens system as effected the Iran centrifuges we'd probably extend windows Support.

The new Bms software requires Flash ffs. Ffs. Ffs. Ffs. Cocks. Are other industries as clueless as IT?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Most shops hold on to old server OS for one reason

"Locked in by Windows and the lockin costs hey!"

No, locked in by your BMS. It's not a Windows issue.

6. David 155

"security only quality update" - that does not make sense to me. If its 'security only' then why add the word 'quality'? Just call it a security update.

7. chivo243 Silver badge
    Windows

Getting out, while the getting is good

I'm in the middle of an AD and server OS refresh. My old friend 2008r2 is being retired as we speak... most of the 2012r2 servers are going as well.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Getting out, while the getting is good

Did the same last year. regret not going straight to 2016 tbh.

8. Amos1

Does support end on Jan. 1, 2020 or Jan. 14, 2020?

The article says the 1st but I know of more than a few companies that are figuring the date to be Feb, 11, 2020. That's the date of the first Patch Tuesday where there are no more free patches for Windows 7 or Server 2008.

If you want to strike the Fear of <insert deity> into someone, go to www.timeanddate.com, click on Date-to-Date Calculator, click on the "Count only workdays" link and then fill in the fields. (The link calculates US holidays; I do not know if it works in other countries).

As of today there are 397 workdays left to convert every one of your Windows 7 and Sever 2008 systems AND their applications to a newer version, a few more if you don't get all of the holidays. Presuming of course that your company cares about such things.

580 days if you work in a sweatshop.

9. Borg.King

2026?

@Simon - where did you see information stating the end date was being moved out. I only see a change in the update model. I do not see any mention of the new model being continued past the already announced Jan 14 2020 end date.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like