back to article Rocketing iPhone sales drive Apple into phone vendor top ten

Apple joined Samsung and Sony Ericsson as the only major mobile phone makers to increase their market share during Q3, researcher Strategy Analytics said today. Apple's shipment of 6.9m iPhones during the quarter, up from 1.1m in Q3 2007, propelled the Mac maker into the top ten list of phone suppliers, SA said, displacing RIM …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Sixth, soon to be Fifth

Given that Motorola is restructuring itself out of existence.

2. Nuno

smartphones

It would be a better meter to compare Apple to Apples, right?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Halo

Not bad

Considering Apple only sell ONE high-end phone model, compared with dozens of low, medium and high-end models from other manufacturers, that's pretty good.

Wonder where they'd be on the list with lower-spec, lower-price models in their product portfolio too...

4. Neil Hoskins

Growth Figures

Just how "high-growth" is the "high growth US smartphone market"? Really, I'm interested. What is the value of the US smartphone market compared to EMEA and the Far East? What are the corresponding growth figures for, say, the last 12 months? What are the corresponding figures for dumb phones (although the distinction is getting increasingly blurred)?

And yes, agreed, Motorola seems to have a death wish, especially in the smartphone market. Given its significance in the US market, that has the potential to leave a pretty big hole.

5. ffrankmccaffery

blimey

thisll sure have the mactwats creaming

6. Mick F

Creaming MacTards

"It forecast some 345m phones will ship during Q4" - The G1 sold 1.5m in presales. Nothing special about the toy phone

7. John Molloy
    Flame

@ MickF

""It forecast some 345m phones will ship during Q4" - The G1 sold 1.5m in presales. Nothing special about the toy phone"

I am pretty impressed with that figure considering LAST week HTC who make them came out saying that they were only making 600,000 this year! If you're gonna slag off the iPhone at least do it for a sensible reason rather than reiterating some analyst bullshit number count.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Still bashing the IPhone?

..Really: are you still bashing it?

My Amiga is better than your Atari, blah, blah, blah.

Wake up boys: there are people making money out there and is on the IPhone platform. I wonder how wealthy some people are by keeping up with spanking the monkey this way.

Mab68

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Marketing over content......

....... isn't that the way it goes with most apple products.

I have a love/hate realtionship with mine (first apple product I have owned and will NOT be buying anything else apple, ever).

I LOVE all the features. I HATE not having some basic features that should be there but arent and the fact that Apple don't give a shit about you by making you use iTunes (perhaps the worst software ever written), locking down the phone and trying to lock you in to all their own shit.

I have been waiting for the iPhone killer from Nokia. So far I am not impressed with what they have come up with (maybe Apple has them in such a state because of patents?).

I beleive the 'establishment' underestimated what apple could do. Serves them right to some degree as the mobile phone market (IMHO) had become a bit stale in terms of innovation and design.

I sincerely hope Android takes off, certainly the next phone I buy will more than likely be Android based. Infact I guess the only thing to stop android becoming popular is either the continued marketing over content/usability or perhaps worryingly...... Apple realising their mistake and opening up the iPhone so users are not so 'tied in'.

I sort of hope that apple remain arrogant...... it will be the death of them in the end :)

As for people making money off the iPhone - True. They will more than likely be able to A) be more creative and B) make more money off Android though............. now what was that Android SDK downlaod address :)

10. David Kelly

@AC: re: Marketing over content

"first apple product I have owned and will NOT be buying anything else apple, ever"

Don't you think judging a company entirely by your experience with one product is more than a little closed-minded? Especially when said product is the first attempt by a company to create something in a specific market.

"I HATE not having some basic features that should be there but arent"

Don't we all. Still, these missing features are being filled either by Apple in OS updates or 3rd parties. As the product matures it will get a lot better.

11. Andy ORourke
    Happy

@ Marketing over content

Like you, the iPhone is the 1st apple product I have used and I love it, OK I'm not going to throw out my PC and become a fanboi and yes, iTunes is DIRE and the fact it is locked down (unless you jailbreak it of course) is a bit of a shame but other than that it is a very good product.

As David Kelly said, its not bad for a first go and it can only keep getting better. No other manufacturer I have seen even comes close to this (apart from that new Blackberry, that looks really nice!)

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ David Kelly

The reason I have avoided Apple till now is because of the way they operate & treat customers. The iPhone 3G confirms my worst fears.

It is their second attempt.

I dare say all those features may eventually appear - does not help the fact that I want to forward a text message now. Something I can do on every other mobile phone in existance (don't bother finding one that can't...... please don't waste your time).

Only 16 months to go b4 I can toss it on eBay............... If I could get out of the contract early without penalty - I would do.

13. Ivan Headache

@marketing over content

I'm not exactly sure what that means!

Anyway, "I LOVE all the features. I HATE not having some basic features that should be there but arent and the fact that Apple don't give a shit about you by making you use iTunes (perhaps the worst software ever written), locking down the phone and trying to lock you in to all their own shit."

As someone else has pointed out, basing an entire philosophy on one purchase is not scientific. Now claiming that itunes is the worst piece of software ever written - well what do you expect? It apple software running on a PC. On a mac it is a superb piece of software, intuitive to use and completely integrated and seamless in operation. We have the same issues running MS software on macs.

Something that puzzles me. What is this "the way they treat their customers" all about?

Apple treats their customers a darn sight better than many other companies do. I've been an Apple user for about 15 years and they haven't yet been round to burn my house, rape my daughters or beat me with a pointed stick. (OK it might be their cat that craps on my lawn - but I can't prove otherwise.)

The worst piece of software ever? That honour goes to MS Word.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like