back to article Intel, Asus plead with Web 2.0 for notebook of the future

Ever wonder who's going to invent the next big thing in computers? Just look in the mirror. Of course, we're speaking about the fellow standing next to you. The world's just terribly unfair. But there's also a minute chance some tech innovation is rattling about your synaptic connections too. Intel and Asus are betting on it …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

interesting times

"Intel believes the spark for innovation can come from anywhere,"

in other words...

'cos it($$$) sure as hell isnt' going to be coming out of microsoft any time soon...

or is that just wishful thinking on my part?

2. Warhelmet

Yes, but, no, but...

So, they want someone to come up with a compelling vision of the laptot future and will reward them with gift vouchers? I think not.

Android and open source hardware projects are a better fit for user driven hardware development.

Some of this stems from the arrogance of hardware manufacturers. It's an attitude of build it and they shall come. There isn't always an effective communication channel between users and manufacturers. Some manufacturers are better than others. I've had some interesting email conversations with some, but no response from others.

3. Andrew Punch
    Paris Hilton

MF laptops on a plane!

Getting the peons of the internet to design a laptop? We all know how well that worked when the peons of the internet designed a movie...

Paris... because the ideal laptop design would incorporate her.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

MySharkbook Pro...

Please Sirs. I would like:

Ultrasonic Broadband - ScreamingPorpoiseNet based on modulating a data stream over the panicked squeals and clicks of half-chewed cetaceans.

Ampullae of Lorenzini driven user interface - Thrash about like a dying seal to make your selection from a number of PIM applications. Bleed slowly into the water to start IE. Float listlessly on the undersea currents to surf El Reg.

Pirate-themed navigation - "Arrrrgh! Take two steps towards yon Mount'n o Bones and ye be at yer treasured destination!"

Proactive malware removal - Remora Antivirus ("Will nibble your dorsals till your barnacles drop off!")

I could go on... Actually, no. I am tapped.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

So

they are hoping someone smart enough to come up with a vision for the future of laptops will be dumb enough to hand it over no strings attached for them to profit from.

Skull and Cross bone cos it's nothing more than IP piracy.

6. Mathew White
    Paris Hilton

Site Down

"Sorry

we've ancountered an unexpected error.

Please note the URL, and, if the problem persists, send us an email at support@wepc.com."

What error might that be then.... and was it really unexpected?

7. Chris G

Hmmm, fits on my lap perfectly

The perfect lap top for me would have to be externally the size shape and feel of Angelina Jolie wriggling a bit. Internally, like Angelina Jolie, but with massive memory and a super fast processor configured to respond only to me. Okay Intel, Asus, over to you. Oh I'd like it by next week please, the missus is away and it will allow me some personal time to get the feel of my new laptop!

8. Bassey
    Unhappy

Design by committee

Oh dear....

9. LINCARD1000
    Coat

SharkPC

Guys guys guys (and Gal, sorry Sarah)... you forgot to picture that shark being jumped over...

Mines the one with a remora clinging to it..

10. Kevin Hughes
    Thumb Up

My submission

I think my idea has got some future in the workplace. Ladies and Gentlemen I present....

The Whacktot!

http://www.wepc.com/vote/view/dream/744/The_Whacktot

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Credit where credits due...

...that is some funny sh*t!

12. Bruno Girin

TechCrunch

Not really new, others have been trying this recently, albeit in a slightly more open fashion: http://www.techcrunchit.com/2008/07/21/the-techcrunch-web-tablet-project/

13. Colin Millar
    Stop

The blind leading the bland

"This content requires Adobe Flash Player 10 - would you like to install it"

If I was going to build a box for the future I wouldn't start here

14. Spoonguard

A PC, any way you want it

so long as it is a laptop; modular as a monolith - durable as a box of tissue

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like