back to article Intel teases Optane DIMMS, but you may need a new Xeon first

Intel’s teased the arrival of its Optane storage-class RAM in DIMMs. Dubbed “Optane DC persistent memory” and suggested as a tier of storage between DRAM and SSDs, the product will ship in 128GB, 256GB and 512GB versions. Intel announced that the product “is sampling today and will ship for revenue to select customers later …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm having an Yanny / Laurel moment with the sub title :)

128GB, 256GB and 512GB modules offered as new storage tier below RAM, above SSD

should it not be

128GB, 256GB and 512GB modules offered as new storage tier above RAM, below SSD

(if we're talking speed/latency times)

Discuss! (Rate Up/Down...Down/Up...you get the idea).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm having an Yanny / Laurel moment with the sub title :)

"below RAM" both in terms of performance (*), and cost per GB; "above SSD" similarly.

(*) Higher throughput and lower latency are both possible aspects of "higher performance"

2. BillG
      Coat

Hokey Pokey Marketing

I dunno... Intel introduces and discontinues products so quickly these days, I'd be skeptical committing to any Intel product.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

Re: I'm having an Yanny / Laurel moment with the sub title :)

That happens to be unclear given how much detail really was in the announcement. It appears that Intel is going with a hybrid approach with new Xeons, and likely chipset(s), with conventional operating system(s) and applications. Optane as a non-volatile RAMdisk. I think. Probably the easiest approach. Of course, Redis and other in-memory databases do provide another approach that is easy and off-the-shelf.

Were it me, I'd have already been playing with unconventional hardware, software, operating systems, databases,... already. I've not heard so much as a squeek. Yet. What I do know, and unfortunately will never get the privilege of doing as I'm terminal, is taking all the existing design publications, textbooks, tutorials, ... using them for nice winter fires, and doing something new. Intel was going to have to redesign what/how/where/when of what the CPU does as a result of Meltdown/Spectre. Unless they go with current designs already in the pipeline. I hope they fix that, now.

I'll stop there: Too long now. I've been thinking about the what and how for a decade.

2. Korev Silver badge
    Coat

You missed one there...

>Intel teases Optane DIMMS, but you may need optane a new Xeon first

FTFY

3. jms222

DDR5 ?

Don't the non-volatile modules aspect of DDR5 supersede this anyway ? Intel would rather you didn't know.

http://tinyurl.com/yazwcxj8 (Register article)

1. phuzz Silver badge

Re: DDR5 ?

As far as I can tell that DDR5 stuff isn't even a firm specification, let alone real hardware.

Anyway, If NVDDR is going to be a thing in the future, then right about now is a good time for Intel to be creating it's first version. I'm assuming that any work they do on these Optane DIMMs is going to be applicable to a future DDR5 version.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

more info needed

without releasing pricing and durability .... what's the point of announcing something that fits into the cache hierarchy between DRAM and SSD ? Surely this needs to be compelling for people to use this stuff

1. teknopaul

Re: more info needed

Agreed.

Not much of an announcement.

Its like saying someone will produce cheaper faster SDs.

That will work on some computers.

Someday.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> Its like saying someone will produce cheaper faster SDs

These are more expensive, faster SSDs.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Terminator

As always, that approach ever reminds that announced Vapourware (soft or hard) issued by Microsoft is a standard practice by other large enterprises. Keep those small fry rabbits, err, firms shaking in fear, not moving an inch.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not available - ever

Basically Intel refused to answer real questions at the fake launch because Optane DIMM tech is broken and will never come to market. Anandtech has a script of their questioning. SemiAccurate has analysis. Basically Intel is trying to dupe Wall Street types as this proposed (defective), tech is years late and doesn't function properly, especially for writes to memory which Intel can't fix. This tech is so riddled with problems Intel will end up throwing in the towel in 2019 or sooner.

6. VLSI

Pricing and compatibility

Is it just me or does targeting the DDR4 standard not mean that anybody capable of making a DDR4 controller will be able talk with an Optane DIMM?

Hopefully Intel will move to the prosumer market with these. I would love to buy reasonably priced 32 or 64 GB dimms for my Ryzen.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like