back to article Servers crashed and burned. So, Qualcomm's back to Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V'ing Arm cores into phones

Following its Centriq server processor implosion, Qualcomm has dusted itself off, and today presented to the world another smartphone processor: the Snapdragon 710. And as for previous Snapdragons, Qualy has pretty much xeroxed off-the-shelf Arm Cortex CPU cores. Qualcomm shifted engineers from the Snapdragon team onto its …

1. Warm Braw

This AI stuff is getting used more and more by apps for touching up and correcting colors and lighting in photos, detecting faces in images, classifying food snapped in pics, and so on

When we've taught AI how to make lives look better, more interesting and healthier than they actually are, it's only a matter of time before it decides the training data is superfluous...

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

classifying food snapped in pics

Obligatory: Not a hot dog.

2. john.jones.name

server for the basestations ?

ARM based servers are far from done witness ampere etc.

Qualcomm would do well to open their "server" platform to suppliers such as the Nokia (NSN) and Ericsson of the world...

that means selling to the network people and giving long term supply some confidence, which to be honest should not be all that hard, the hyperscale people just wanted predefined designs and created noise...

3. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

And what about SPECTRE and Meltdown?

1. Pseudonymous Howard
      Coat

Don't worry!

Inofficial sources claim both will be supported.

(Getting the coat with the napkin the information was written on)

4. Missing Semicolon Silver badge
    Devil

"and struggling to make its NXP acquisition fly"

Every time one of the giga-mergers takes place, the sum is less than the parts in terms of value, profit, whatever. It seems amazing to me than shareholders keep voting this crap through.

What were Qualcomm's shareholders thinking of? Shouldn't the board all get voted off next AGM?

Or is it that the pension funds/401k's that hold most of the shares actually run their holdings to benefit the fund managers, not the investors!

1. springsmarty

Re: "and struggling to make its NXP acquisition fly"

High-tech acquisitions are the topic of my dissertation, and you are correct that they often look bad after the fact. But, how well would the individual companies have fared if the acquisition never happened? We will never know. Often, these mergers happen when one or more of the firms faces a bleak (or at least not-so-bright) future, so maybe the results would have been worse without the acquisition. In truth, no one knows.

5. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Bigger *always* looks better.

Not always so.

Likewise setting up a major bet-the-company project that's run by an outsider is something with more like a 50/50 shot at success to me.

Of course hindsight is always 20/20.

6. panoptiq

Overkill

Qualcomm's 700 series should never have deviated from using ARM based cores to begin with. They had it right from the 650-653, then thy went off track. Those SOCs performed well for the mid-range phone market. What I think they should've done was take the incremental approach; namely placing 4x A72 + 4x A53 on a 14nm dye add X12-LTE plus 8GB of RAM then call it a day. Voila the Snapdragon 7xx is born! But that's just me.

7. W.S.Gosset
    Flame

Boo

I've never forgiven Qualcom for buying then killing Eudora.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like