back to article HPE: Hell yeah, those job cuts worked out great… for our investors

Hewlett-Packard Enterprise is crediting the success of its Next corporate remake – as in, who should we fire Next – in helping it top expectations in its latest financial quarter. Execs at the IT goliath said Tuesday the ongoing efforts to focus its business and reduce headcount are working out better than planned, leading the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My 12 year old

Needs to get a job at the reg. She'll probably write a better analysis than this!

2. tfewster
    Facepalm

> Revenues of $7.5bn were up 9.7 per cent from $6.8bn a year ago

Please explain to me how job cuts improve sales? Unless they sacked the sales prevention and invoice deletion teams?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Revenue up

Well, there is a thing where management spend less time worrying about dozens of different things and focus their time just on a few things that generate more money.

A lot of the time its not just having salesmen out there but having all of the other bits that you need to make a deal closure work.

I know it sounds illogical, but it is perfectly possible theoretically.

2. SebastianRR

You have aptly described the HPE sales force.

Try getting a quote on time. Took us a few weeks to get a response. Firing those yahoos and giving the job to anyone with a heartbeat is an improvement.

3. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

In the short term, yes. Things will look good.

But, in the long term...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

in the long term?

IBM

4. sawatts

You can make huge profits by asset stripping.

1. 8Ace

To clarify

You can make huge profits by asset stripping.... for a short while.

1. tekHedd

for a short while

"It's funny how falling feels like flying, for a little while"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTYyS8bxV78

5. handleoclast

C suite thinking

Our operating costs are too high and our sales are too low. So we should fire everyone in operations and double the sales force. And give ourselves a gigantic bonus for coming up with such a clever scheme.

6. Jay Lenovo
    Terminator

People are what makes us different

HPE (Hewlett Packard Executives).

Let's contract out the rest.

1. not.known@this.address
      Trollface

Re: People are what makes us different

HPE (Highly Paid Executives).

Fixed :-)

(I'm sure trolls - even the hide-under-a-bridge-and-scare-billygoats variety - could do a better job...)

7. David Gillies

"Those job cuts worked out great for our investors". In other words they were a success by the only metric a business should have. Jobs are a cost, not a benefit.

1. not.known@this.address

"Jobs are a cost, not a benefit"

I think you're right - every worker should be sacked and replaced by an Outsourcing Manager who does absolutely f***-all except add extra layers of cost and paperwork for what his underlings do.

I vote we start by putting anyone who seriously[*] believes you have suggested a good business model in a submarine and outsourcing the OBOGS support role first...

[*] You *WERE* joking - weren't you??

1. David Gillies

Re: "Jobs are a cost, not a benefit"

Jobs being a cost to a business rather than a benefit isn't exactly controversial. It's an accounting identity. Arguing against it is like arguing against double-entry bookkeeping. If a firm can make more money (or even the same money) with fewer people, that's a GOOD thing. It's otherwise known as "increased productivity".

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cutting headcount always works in the short run

The question is whether it will hurt them in the long run - but by then the executives who made those decisions will have moved on, and cashed out.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm not sure how cutting operational staff makes a company more able to cope with change. Especially when the best and brightest are the most able to jump ship when see the possibility of job loss and I'm going to assume that's happened a lot. Oh well, outsource it all. How could there be an issue with that? ;)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like