back to article LG chairman Koo Bon-moo dies, aged 73

LG chairman Koo Bon-moo has died, aged 73. Koo has been seriously ill for some time but retained his role as chairman out of respect for his massive contribution to the business and the fact he was the third of his family to helm the conglomerate. He became chairman in 1995 and has quintupled LG’s revenues to ~US$150bn, over $ …

1. TRT Silver badge

Originally known as Goldstar, it renamed itself Lucky Goldstar or LG some time ago. IIRC it acquired a chemical company called Lucky Chemicals or something. I had a Goldstar monitor/TV for my Amiga back in 1988.

1. Youngone Silver badge

I assumed they rebranded to LG because the Goldstar products were so awful they had to distance themselves from them.

I only ever owned one Goldstar product though, so I might be biased, but that alarm clock radio was responsible for me being late for work a few times.

1. Sanctimonious Prick

@Youngone

That's what I recall too. Goldstar had the worst reputation for shoddy electronics.

1. Sam Therapy

Yup. They were the cheap and nasty cassette recorders and portable tellies in catalogues such as Grattan and Freemans.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

To be fair, my parents have a Goldstar microwave/combination oven that's still going- albeit after a couple of repairs- around 23 years later. Though that would have been bought not long before they changed their name, so it's possible they were already improving by then.

2. Dave K

Agreed, Goldstar were seen as very budget indeed. I remember once having a Goldstar CD drive that wasn't exactly the best piece of kit I've ever used.

Of course, you can give credit to Koo Bon-moo for upping the quality of LG's products, and rebranding them as well to distance from the reputation of their earlier stuff. Result is that LG now make some pretty respectable kit overall.

2. Dieter Haussmann

It was the merging of two companies, Ruckhai Plastics and Goldstar Electronics, later LG due to the R/L pronunciation differences.

3. anothercynic Silver badge

Gosh yes...

... Goldstar, huge in Africa along with Technics and... Aiwa! Who still remembers them?

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Re: Gosh yes...

Technics and... Aiwa

My (well, more accurately, my parents) first 'HiFi' was an Aiwa. Worked fine and had two casette decks (making it easy to copy tapes!).

My current (almost totally unused) hifi is a Technics. I think we bought it in ~1994.. (also has two cassette decks and a turntable). It still sits in our lounge but is mostly there as a small, low-lying place to put stuff on top of.

2. Tessier-Ashpool

Re: Gosh yes...

Ah, Technics. I once owned a Technics cassette deck that featured DBX noise reduction. All those analogue noise reduction systems were rubbish, to tell the truth. Thankfully we now live in a digital world.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lucky Goldstar - What's the 'Star' for? - I only ever remember LG for being first at this:

It was the first real warning shot across the bows of PRIVACY.

The likes of Vizio-TV used this example as a pro How-To guide:

--------------

http://doctorbeet.blogspot.com.co/2013/11/lg-smart-tvs-logging-usb-filenames-and.html

https://adexchanger.com/digital-tv/vizios-data-business-back-updated-privacy-policy-expanded-partnership-ispot-tv/

1. Tim99 Silver badge
      Big Brother

Re: Lucky Goldstar - What's the 'Star' for? - I only ever remember LG for being first at this:

What is it about "smart" TVs anyway? The software is invariably third rate and the GUI even worse. Why can we just buy a decent quality large screen with say 3 HDMI inputs, a decent audio output, volume control and an on/off switch. Almost everyone's TV has some mix of FOX, Netflix, Stan, Apple, Google or BlueRay devices attached which the punter uses regularly, and many of them offer live TV as well.

Silly me! There would be no reason to update the whole TV when the newest shiny comes out, rather than just replacing the input device.

1. Dave Rickmers

Re: Lucky Goldstar - What's the 'Star' for? - I only ever remember LG for being first at this:

My LG uses WebOS Linux and works very well. I rarely use it because I'm already configured on Roku. LG bought Zenith Electronics (Mexican assembly plants included) in 1999. That's where my TV is from.

1. Tim99 Silver badge

@Dave Rickmers

I too have an LG set, the picture is excellent, but we might have to agree to disagree about how good WebOS is - The system is slow; and the LG App store in Oz is very limited. I too use a third party content/app provider box.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I remember back in the day Goldstar refrigerators were very excellent

On par with the quality of Japanese brands e.g. Hitachi, Sanyo.

Special mention to Acma, a Singapore brand of refrigerators.

4. TonyJ

One of the first CD Writers I used was a Goldstar.

Worked well at 1 and so-so at 2 speed. 4 speed never wrote reliably.

5. MJI Silver badge

Were not bad

Still have a working radio cassette at 35 years old. Even has chrome and Dolby B.

Goldstar were a cheap brand but not too shoddy.

I rated them as one of the better cheap and cheerful brands.

No real competition at the time to the major Japanese brands but better than the pretend far east brands prevelant at the time.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Life's Good. (tm)(r)

But no longer for him.

7. ValleyBoy

I had a Goldstar VCR (That's Video Cassette Recorder, if you're under 35), which was rather good. The tracking was a pain in the backside, but that was the case for most machines.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Koo Stark should take over.

9. wx666z

Goldstar celphone

Early 90's. Living and working in Phoenix as a traveling salesman for an aluminum company. Covering from Mexico to Western Canada. My employer offered to provide a mobile phone. I said ok. It was almost as big as a shoe box and had an antenna with cable that mounted on the dashboard. Worked fine for several years.

10. BRYN

Am i imagining things but in the UK didn't Grundig become part of LG too?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like