back to article MoD pledges greener buying

Secretary of State for Defence John Hutton and defence biz execs yesterday signed a Sustainable Procurement Charter intended to make the UK's military-industrial complex more green. The voluntary charter commits the MoD and its suppliers to work together to achieve sustainable development goals through "educating the supply …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. dervheid
    Thumb Down

Mutual Exclusives

"The aim is that our procurement processes become greener, more sustainable"

"and provide even better value for money."

Backed up by the appointment of;

"a three-star officer (of Lieutenant-General, Air Marshal or Vice-Admiral rank) designated as "Sustainable Procurement Champion" in the MoD."

Yet another desk-based money pit.

All buzzwords and bullshit.

2. Steven Jones

Cutting toenails to save weight...

So just how does the energy consumption of a ship-borne radar set compare with amount required to propel a frigate at 30 knots. This could easily be the MoD equivalent of concentrating on the energy efficiency of the satnav in a Range Rover.

Of course that's nothing to do with making hte Radar actually work effectively. A different argument.

3. Dave Bell

Just Enough?

Isn't active radar, like active sonar, a bit of a dead giveaway?

4. Mike Taylor
    Black Helicopters

Green munitions

Wow, that's awesome. Environmentally friendly bombs, bullets and tanks. Let's all hold hands and wear flowers in our hair.

Mine's the flak jacket smelling of Brut...

5. George

Madness I tell you...

"We've been hit sir!"

"What, how, we never saw them coming?!"

"No sir, we were in a our mandated power save 5 minutes where we turn everything off sir"

"Ahhh yes, well least we died doing something good for the world eh Smith?!"

6. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

But the army

is already green. Except when in the desert when it's beige/tan.

Helps to hide from the enemy.

7. Colin Millar
    Go

Don't knock it

Remember - an army supplied by bicycle and shanks's pony kicked the shit out of the yanks

8. David Edwards

Green?

I thought most of the stuff the army bought was green already?

You have been hit by a fair trade bomb.

9. Ian Ferguson
    Unhappy

This is ironic

How do they balance saving the earth with blowing stuff up?

The greenest thing they could do is disband the Army, Navy and Air Force, except for a small quota of soldiers and finance directed to the UN.

Funnily enough, a move like that would also reduce casualties, make sure conflicts we partake in are morally justifiable and not just political puppetry, vastly reduce our country's costs and debts, and convince other powers and populations of our peaceful intentions; possibly even eradicate us as a terrorist target.

But that would be common sense, and we know how far that gets. Not to mention the possibility of 'losing jobs'.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Designed on Sustainability Principles

If I was at sea I think I would much rather have a radar designed on "spotting the bad guy before he launches an antiship missile at me" principles.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Love it!

A sustainable development policy for an organisation that's going to be buying more hydrogen bombs.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like