back to article Data centre down: Budget plane-ride mart Ryanair goes all in with AWS

Low-cost Irish airline Ryanair is shuttering the "vast majority" of its data centres and moving the infrastructure to AWS. The budget flight mart already runs several workloads on Amazon's public cloud including Ryanair Rooms and Ryanair.com but is set to go all-in over the next three years. Ryanair trilled today it is …

1. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

I would find it most amusing if Ryanair's attempts to migrate their systems to the cloud environment were thwarted because the cloud servers don't have any processors in them.

AWS: "Oh, you want servers *with* processors do you , Mr o'Leary? Well, there'll be an extra charge for that. Oh, and by the way, are you interested in upgrading your storage array to one that actually has disks in it?"

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

When they say they are going to AWS, they actually mean that they are going to a small deserted bookshop in a town 50mi away

2. SVV

Wait until they find out that after migrating their first couple of servers for £29 a month, the ubsequent ones cost £800 per month, as only a limited number of servers were available at the advertised price.

2. Korev Silver badge

In case you haven't seen it...

Fascinating Aida's wonderful Cheap Flights song.

1. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
      Happy

Re: In case you haven't seen it...

"Feckity, feckity, feckity, feckity, feck, feck, feck!!!"

Brilliant. Thanks for the link.

3. Dwarf

There's got to be a gag in here somewhere

Something about having their heads in the clouds or other such pun.

4. kain preacher

Have they checked for hidden fees like $1.5 per email to get alerts? Printing surcharge on all emails .$5 for the first gig and then $10,000 each 50 megabytes.

5. elan

point of sales

while putting some ms garbage into the aws bucket is not a bad idea at all

I ask myself when they start using the world largest pos - amazon.com

oĺeary is moving into the sixties isn t it ?

6. Rainer

I get it that amazon shop is better run than most other IT shops on the planet - but having all these businesses sign up to them and basically marrying their business-logic to their cloud-provider can't be a good long-term strategy.

Once Amazon has enough market-share, they'll really want to make money and start milking their customers.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like