back to article Dell unveils 12in Vista-based notebook-not-netbook

Remember the 12in laptop Tesco inadvertently told the world Dell was preparing? Dell has announced the machine, the Inspiron Mini 12, in Japan. Dell Inspiron Mini 12 Dell's Inspiron Mini 12: MID-spec, runs Vista Not only does the Inspiron Mini 9's bigger sibling sport a decidedly un-netbook 12in screen - the resolution's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Giles Jones Gold badge

Speed

Will be interesting to see how well it comes with Vista. It must be almost minimum spec for Vista.

2. TeeCee Gold badge
    Unhappy

Screen?

1280x800 on a 12" screen? Does that come with a magnifying glass, a voucher for SpecSavers and a packet of Anadin?

'Cos you're going to need 'em all sooner or later.

3. W
    Stop

You could have an XPS M1330 or two EEE 1000's instead!

It's a nice enough lookin' machine that's moderately specced (once it has 2GB RAM or drops Vista for XP). 12" screen machines are a really useful compromise of portability and portability. So I saw this as fitting in somewhere between the EEE 1000 and Dell's own XPS M1330.

But "From" £634 before the UK markup has been added is madness.

An EEE 1000 can now be for less than £300.

The Dell XPS M1330 starts at £629, delivered.

This Dell machine can't credibly claim to be worth anything more than £400.

I own an M1330 (running Vista with no probs, btw) and while it's obviously not as portable as, say, an EEE 901, it's not significantly more massive than this Dell 12".

There's no question that for £600+ I'd bag another M1330 instead of spending money on a weaker machine in every single aspect other than size/weight. But the M1330 is still compact and weighs in at under £2kg. If size/weight is the more critical factor, you could have two EEE 1000's instead!!!

4. b
    Thumb Up

like it!

fatnetbook...hmmz, a new space?!

omg, nooooooo!

seriously..very nice little box..very similar to my laptop an HP TX1340ea (now TX2000 i think)..that has 12" screen as well..but i got TL-56 AMD dual core, which is nice!

but mine cost about £700 cos it comes with touch screen of questionable benefit to me, so without that it would be cheaper. i'll bet the dell is cheaper than that.

this pips the 700px verticle res i need for my DJ-ing app, so is a contender.

not sure about the cpu tho...wonder how the Z530 compares with a TL-56?!

cheers,

bill

p.s. stuff and nonsense: http://www.eupeople.net/forum

5. Jerome
    Thumb Down

Netbook?

As per your headline, in what parallel dimension could this possibly be described as a netbook? 12" laptops have been around for years. A netbook is something tiny you can just shove in a bag, not something the size of a laptop which just happens to have an underpowered processor.

@ TeeCee - Higher resolution on smaller screens (i.e. lower dot pitch) is a good thing. It means that the screen is more detailed. If you're having to squint to read stuff on it, you need to increase the font size. I love the level of detail on the screen on my Acer Aspire One (9" at 1,024 x 600), and I wish I could get a desktop monitor with a decent dot pitch - 3840×2400 on a 22" screen would do nicely!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Can't see the market

Too big and clunky to be truly portable, and you can get MUCH MUCH higher spec laptops (2gb memory, Home Premium, real processor, big widescreens) for half the price.

7. Lee
    Thumb Down

Looks useless to me...

There's nothing there that hasn't been around for years. I guess I can quit waiting for it now, I wouldn't buy this thing. Too expensive, and key features of a netbook are that there's no harddrive and it's not Vista. I have a 701 eeePC, and was hoping to see something like it in a 12". The eee's size is nice, but the keyboard and display size are too small to be real useful for me.

8. tebiru
    Alert

Currency craziness

Bear in mind the Japanese price was probably set before the currency markets went mental (the yen is extraordinarily high at the moment), so allowing for that volatility, the UK price may well be (considerably) cheaper than Japan.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ThinkPad X61 Tablet

Just saw a X61 tablet going for £400 on eBay. Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 12", 120GB HDD etc. etc. etc.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like