back to article Legal tech startup tries to haul 123-Reg to court over 24-hour backup claims

Customers of 123-Reg hit by the hosting business's recent web deletion woes are being asked to step forward and make a claim against the outfit by a legal tech ambulance chaser startup. In March a hardware failure on one of 123-Reg's servers led to some customers' websites being hit by an outage. The firm hosts a total 1.7 …

1. MtK

VPS vs website

I was under the impression that VPS was a virtual server instance and different from their Web hosting offerings.

1. pɹɐʍoɔ snoɯʎuouɐ
      Pint

Re: VPS vs website

I was under the impression that VPS was a virtual server instance and different from their Web hosting offerings.

it is.... but from the web hosting package you have very little control over things like the php.ini or many of the other things that you need control of...

for example, I have an instance of owncloud running, when it comes to upgrading it, the simple way is to run a command line script... you cant do that from web hosting.

beer.... well its tuesday....

2. wolfetone Silver badge

Re: VPS vs website

"I was under the impression that VPS was a virtual server instance and different from their Web hosting offerings."

That's a good spot. They offer shared hosting, which I don't think qualifies as a VPS.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

24-hour backup...

Sure... they make a backup every 24 hours...

Too bad nobody said anything about being able to restore it...

1. Jay Lenovo

Re: 24-hour backup...

...And we backed it up every day and even restored stuff every so often.

Until the hardware died, and we came to realize that putting the backups and the servers on the same storage array might have been a poor choice. But oh yeah, we did backups.

2. Eugene Crosser
      Coat

Re: 24-hour backup...

Schrodinger's Backup: "The condition of any backup is unknown until a restore is attempted."

source: https://twitter.com/tessschrodinger/status/534042916264873984?lang=en

3. adam payne

Techie chasers, well that's new.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Is that the same as airplane chasers - you know the social outcasts who dare to put in financial claims when the flight company doesn't meet its contracted level of service?

Unfortunately, the use of the phrase ambulance chasers in the article is Orlowski standard of unbiased "journalism".

1. Jeffrey Nonken

Unbiased journalism is a myth, and silly to expect from human beings.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nationalreview.com/2015/05/there-no-such-thing-unbiased-journalism-so-lets-stop-pretending-david-harsanyi/amp/

https://www.americanpressinstitute.org/journalism-essentials/bias-objectivity/lost-meaning-objectivity/

Just sayin'.

4. FuzzyWuzzys
    Headmaster

A wise man once said...

When I was a fresh-faced spotty trainee mainframe op a wise old git once said to me, "We never call it a backup until we've tested a restore of it!".

1. donk1

Re: A wise man once said...

"Do you test your backups?"

"No"

"What? You have to test your backups"

"...We test our restores!"

5. Chozo
    Devil

Legal Weasling 101

John Belushi explains the force majeure clause to princess Leia

https://youtu.be/JFvujknrBuE

6. Pascal Monett Silver badge

So, the carrion crawlers are out in force, eh ?

Scavengers looking to make a buck with a nice excuse for it. Sickening, but frankly 123-Reg deserves to get their feet dragged over the coals.

Mistake, excuse, whatever - too many people have lost data and money on empty promises.

7. Aqua Marina

“but can be found on the Internet Archive: Wayback Machine dated last year.”

Take a screenshot cos tomorrow that will have been requested to be taken down and purged.

1. david 12 Silver badge

No request necessary. All it takes is one line in the robots.txt file on their own website, and the Wayback Machine blinds all history.

I shake my head and wonder who funds the Internet Archive, or what lawyer got to them.

1. Alphebatical
        Holmes

You can always take a snapshot of the snapshot using other archive sites. I'd post links, but my work firewall blocks them.

8. not.known@this.address
    Facepalm

Ah, backups...

What about when you have to keep backups for a L-O-N-G time like the aerospace industry, where the standard used to be lifespan of the airframe + 10 years. It's all well and good keeping those lovely 2400' open-reel magnetic tapes but where are you going to find a tape deck to read them on? Or an old Mainframe that can understand what's on them... (or a programmer who can write an emulator to let something newer read them...)

1. Geekpride

Re: Ah, backups...

Also applies in the medical sector. We've got a nice little fireproof safe full of WORM optical discs. The reader for them disappeared years ago, but we've got to keep the discs just in case anyone ever asks for the original data.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like