back to article Yes, drone biz DJI's Go 4 app does phone home to China – sort of

Chinese drone firm DJI is pushing back against claims it quietly beams user data back to the homeland by releasing the results of an audit it paid for – which found the DJI Go 4 app indeed sends some data to Hong Kong. This follows on from last year’s embarrassing DJI security cockup in which we revealed the firm’s developers …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But that doesn't mean it's spilling all your beans, data audit finds

That really doesn't mean that it ISN'T, nor does it mean that it WON'T as soon as the auditors stop looking.

Why take the chance?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: But that doesn't mean it's spilling all your beans, data audit finds

But it's OK to send the same traffic to the USA or any other country?

2. Gordon 10

Re: But that doesn't mean it's spilling all your beans, data audit finds

Because taking the chance is going to be far more fun than hiding under your bed with your tinfoil hat on?

Based on this audit it still seems that the biggest security risk is the Android* phone you install the app on, and I'll worry about the Chinese slightly after I worry about Google thankyouverymuch.

* Yes I know its on iOS too. But the fruity one doesn't have a business model that absolutely requires hoovering up of your data.

2. K

To be honest..

I'd prefer my beans spilt in China... that the US or UK these days!

They're welcome to all the aerial snaps taken on my local park and back yard...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why the IMEI?

Why do they need to transmit the IMEI number? If someone stole that and coded it to a cellphone they could snarf off your cell phone's data usage and perhaps even see all your contacts, messages, photos, videos if they are stored in the cloud, and who knows what else.

4. mollyrank

Will not satisfy naysayers

This report was a good step by DJI but does it clear the air on the issue of sending data to China?

5. DagD

Yes, but did you try to "fly" the unit?

see: "WOG" switch. useful in the real world. Similar code built in for software? hit a certain altitude before secondary parameters go into effect, etc? You know "am I being sandboxed" logic...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like