back to article In not terrifying news at all, Google just keeps on growing: Revenue, profit, headcount up

Google's parent company Alphabet has notched up another quarter (PDF) of swollen sales for Q1 2018, revealing the outcome of investments like its stake in Uber. The firm booked sales of $31.15bn for the quarter ended 31 March '18, up 26 per cent year-on-year or by some $6.4bn. Broken down by segment: advertising revenues grew …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They forgot to say...

Slurping of our every movement on the Internet (and often in Real Life) increased as well.

They will soon be racing with Amazon to be the first $1T company. The former front runner (Apple) seems to have fallen at the final hurdle.

Use a different email provider and search engine and stop feeding the beast. Without ever increasing amouts of data on us they can't continue to rake in the Ad $$$$.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Megaphone

Re: They forgot to say...

You know Google have pay services if you don't like the slurp deal?

I personally have no problem with it. The deal is well defined and I know what I get from the deal and what I give up for that deal.

At least with the Google deal there is lots of stuff on offer in exchange for your anonimised data. What do you get from Apple, Microsoft, Facebook and the like??? That's the real question.

It's clear the writer has an agenda too, starting with emotive terms like terrifying...

If you want to see real evil, look at Facebook detailed deconstructed social profiling...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-43869911

2. Korev Silver badge
    Terminator

And the rest...

Pichai did, however, respond to a question about GDPR by saying: "Most of our ad business is Search, where we rely on very limited information, essentially what is in the keywords to show a relevant ad or product."

He "forgot" to mention the data from the users which Alphabet use to match the keywords to the punters.

3. Tigra 07

Google is reaching the scale where they could buy a country without breaking the bank. It would be a utopia built from the guidebook of 1984. Everyone would think the same and be same, in their own little echochamber.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's called the USA (I'm sure the UK will be the next in line to whore itself out)

4. bombastic bob Silver badge
    Devil

Brawndo's good for plants

What happens when HALF of the world's population works for Google?

(see title)

1. Fungus Bob

Re: Brawndo's good for plants

Are you suggesting that Google has Electrolytes?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like