back to article Sun: Elvis Andy has not left the building

When we woke up this morning, we were confronted with a flurry of stories about Andy Bechtolsheim leaving Sun to become chairman and chief development officer at a startup called Arista Networks. This seemed like bad news for Sun, but the company would like you to know it isn't entirely true. Andy - and like Elvis, we probably …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

SPARC has left the building

Wow...I guess UltraSparc is now officially dead

"Sun announced the End-of-life (EOL) of the Sun Fire V490, Sun Fire V890, Sun Fire E2900, Sun Fire E4900, Sun Fire E6900, Sun Fire E20K, Sun Fire E25K servers with Last Order Date of January 8, 2009"

http://www.sun.com/servers/sunfire_eol.jsp

Southeastern Asset must be making changes. Hard not to when you spend $2.1B for 20% of a $3.5B company

Mini-Me / Ponytail / MyPony

2. EnigmaForce
    Coat

FUDbots

Wow, AC has been leaving precisely the same canned response all over the Sun blogs. I really wonder if this is some HP powered robot...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re. SPARC has left the building

Yawn - more ill-informed FUD!

Yes, UltraSPARC IV and IV+ systems have reached end-of-life status, but that's not news. After a long and illustrious career - no system from any rival manufacturer has remained competitive for anything like such a long service life - they were obviously on the way out once the M-series servers were launched.

UltraSPARC-T1, -T2 and T2+ and SPARC64 VI and VII systems continue to do very well - and no doubt the forthcoming 'ROCK' processor will be branded UltraSPARC-something-or-other as well.

4. andy rock
    Stop

RE: SPARC has left the building

"Wow...I guess UltraSparc is now officially dead"

you stupid bloody clown. the massively successful T1 + 2 chips ARE UltraSPARC.

and, as the other AC puts it: "no system from any rival manufacturer has remained competitive for anything like such a long service life". too true.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Yeah T2+

back to the future....yeah chips have UltraSPARCII cores in them.

Rock would have to come to market to not consider US dead

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like