back to article Snubbed R Us: Microsoft eschews Vulture Consultants in Playmobil tech research

Despite a failure to consult Reg Playmobil academia, Microsoft Research has unleashed new toy findings: a playmat for little ones that combines capacitive sensing, Near Field Communication (NFC), a kid-friendly user interface and Playmobil. Google's SECRET London office Revealed: Google's SECRET London office READ MORE In …

1. Bronek Kozicki
    Pint

Thank you

For bringing back the memory of Lester Haines

(wipes small tear)

1. magickmark
      Pint

Re: Thank you

Here's one for Lester

Cheers

2. ukgnome
    Pint

A pint for Lester's memory

3. hplasm
    Devil

RIP Lester :(

But, out of the darkness, light!

Microsoft are finally concentrating on what they are best at.

Toys! Yay!

4. chivo243 Silver badge
    Pint

So glad to see Lester's name back on El Reg! Has there been any thought to resurrecting the Post Pub Nosh? I thoroughly enjoyed it!

1. Ellipsis
      Angel

> So glad to see Lester's name back on El Reg!

It’s in everything the server sends. Check the HTTP headers…

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The boffins are actually keen to emphasise the educational play aspect of the device...

Rather than the harvesting of kids data, well, the data scientists are only playing, aren't they?

6. masonjoyers

Big heads

The "big head dolls" are Pop characters. Basically cartoon versions of a bunch of pop culture characters.

Check out https://www.funko.com.

7. Gene Cash Silver badge

And the robot at the end is an existing toy called Robosapien

8. Bob Wheeler
    Stop

swiping ...

On this side of the pond, 'swiping' something has a different meaning - 'hey who nicked my toys?'

9. Stuart Castle Silver badge

Good to see Lester mentioned again. Since he went, LOHAN and his various other ventures appear to have fallen by the wayside.

Regarding the article, it's nice to see Microsoft have found a use for some of the concepts behind the original surface (the one before Microsoft realised people weren't willing to pay $5,000 for a touch sensitive display built into a table).

10. Cubical Drone

When will it stop?

Will people not be happy until every tactile experience that requires imagination be replaced or plugged into a video screen?

11. Mage Silver badge

This is terrible.

People doing Minecraft or Lego video games instead of Lego (at age FOUR!) is bad enough.

Too much screen time already and not enough playing with actual stuff. You know, sawing off bits of Barbie and then taking her to hospital.

1. Alister

Re: This is terrible.

You know, sawing off bits of Barbie and then taking her to hospital.

Ah yes, those far off innocent days...

12. earl grey
    Facepalm

so how does this work

when the knight and the lady are stacked up? Just askin'

13. GIRZiM
    WTF?

A Solution Looking For A Problem

So, the toys are placed on the floor and an image of them appears on the tablet display next to them.

I'm confused - I've read and re-read the article several times, but I can't for the life of me see where it mentions the front-facing webcam.

14. TrumpSlurp the Troll
    Trollface

Disrupt. Break things! Fail early fail often!!

Has this been tested in a household with one or more cats?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like