back to article Facebook: Look at our latest bug bounty that proves we're serious!

Continuing its charm offensive, Facebook has published the details of its data abuse bounty, ahead of Mark Zuckerberg’s appearances in front of US lawmakers. The programme - which offers a minimum of $500 (and no maximum) for cases that prove to be true - will reward people who can prove an app has slurped up users’ data for …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Mushroom

So, Cambridge Analytica is trying to whitewash its reputation now ?

No use guys. You can only manipulate opinion when people do not know they're being manipulated.

We know all about you now. You are liars, underhanded manipulators and you take your cues from the 1960 CIA Handbook - How To Topple Governments.

Nothing you say can be taken at face value because you are a-ok with sending prostitutes to compromise honest people and record everything for blackmail purposes if required. You are the blackest of scum, intentionally sucking the dregs of human behavior in exchange for money.

Go on trying to find the words that you think will get you back into the good graces of the Internet. There is the most damning video on you and your practices to counter anything you can come up with.

2. Chris G

I like the fact that they took pains to mention they are 'Politically Neutral'

I interpret that as, they are willing to interfere in any election for anyone.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"I interpret that as, they are willing to interfere in any election for anyone."

I'm sure they're more selective than that. You've got to be able to afford to pay them.

3. EveryTime

So ... Facebook now offers a bounty for figuring out when an app takes information without paying Facebook for it. Do I have that right?

4. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"The biz went on to say that it had deleted the raw data from its file server"

That doesn't account for any data in a processed form or any raw data on someone else's server.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sen Dick Durbin To Zuk "Are you comfortable sharing the name of the hotel you stayed in last night?"

The media were patting themselves on the back with 5 / 20 / 33 questions, they'd ask Zuk this week. I just have 3 that aren't being asked at all sadly:

1. How do NON-USERS of Facebook permanently stop tracking like 'we know which hotel you stayed in last summer'? When its so pervasive that even Airlines such as Lufthansa & Emirates sell users out to Facebook during the online booking process... (Adblockers can't help because this is insidious Server-Side data-sharing which is occurring in the background).

2. How do we stop Facebook trading / sharing / slurping / merging data about NON-USERS from 3rd-Party Data Brokers... Offline & Online... How do we shut this 'industrial spying apparatus' down permanently etc?

3. How do we force Facebook to permanently <<<DELETE>>> old user accounts and Shadow Profiles of NON-USERS? From Schrems, we know Facebook never deletes anything. Users have also verified seeing deleted zombie posts rise-from-the-dead after 5-10 years in their Activity Logs, wtf?

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

Re: Sen Dick Durbin To Zuk

I thought Durbin asking Zuck which hotel he stayed in, and who he'd messaged last week was great. Zuck wasn't comfortable revealing that info, which rather made Sen. Durbin's point. I think Zuck also got in trouble walling off his Hawaii mansion for reasons of privacy.

I still think the best solution for this is for Facepalm and other data harvesters to create web pages. They should show every data category the company captures, and their exec's activity. If they use tracking cookies, they show their exec's web history. If they capture address books, phone numbers, conversations, show those for their execs.

Somehow, I suspect they'd object..

2. Mark 85

Re: Sen Dick Durbin To Zuk ".....

Obvious questions that weren't asked... so why weren't they? Why aren't those who don't use FB angry at being tracked and the data dumped into the hopper to be sold?

I just find it hard to believe that Zuck is playing "Mr. Innocent" here and getting away with it.

7. FozzyBear
    Black Helicopters

The problem now is , is that Zuk probably (read as definitely) has a dossier on those senators that would make the CIA cry.

In a previous life as a criminal analyst the hardest part was building a dossier on a criminal network based on credible information. that meant surveillance, if you could get it, call records, plus other sources. It was grunt work and slow to build those associations.

Facebook has that information coming to them and more. Some people are concerned as a result of the latest revelations of facebooks data slurping. Everyone really should be paranoid and terrified

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

which offers a minimum of $500 (and no maximum) for cases that prove to be true - will reward people who can prove an app has slurped up users’ data for nefarious means.

I know an app has slurped up users’ data for nefarious means. It's the Facebook app! Where's my $500 check?

9. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Devil

’Twas brillig...

...and the slithy toves

Did gyre and gimble in the wabe

1. Chris G

Re: ’Twas brillig...

I'm fairly sure a 'slithy tove' has just been in front of a Senate Committee.

10. JWLong

Bull Shit, That's all it is!

None of this stage show makes a damn bit of difference. Congress is a joke, Zuck has payed them all off to run this doctor feel good investigation into what? There is no right to privacy in either the constitution or the bill of rights in America! If you want privacy, don't put your garbage on the curb for pickup.

Cambridge Analytical has what, a new CEO and a name change, BFD! What they got is a bunch of free advertising and probably more new customers than they can handle.

And remember friends, it's all for free..........

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like