back to article Twitter API overhaul threatens to seriously shaft apps... again

Twitter's planned discontinuation of its streaming APIs in June has third-party developers worried that a replacement service won't be available in time to prevent their Twitter apps from breaking. The makers of Talon, Tweetbot, Tweetings, and Twitterrific have joined together to create a webpage expressing their concerns and …

1. tin 2

Goodbye Twitter

If I can't continue using (in my case) Twitterrific to access Twitter, I won't be accessing Twitter.

1. tekHedd

Re: Goodbye Twitter

I feel much the same about Talon. Talon and its developer support have been great, whereas the official twitter app is... not? Not. Yes, that's the word I'm looking for.

2. techblogger911

Re: Goodbye Twitter

Exactly the thing, I was just wondering if Twitter will make another version of it after it shafts its app

2. keithzg

Time to migrate over to the Fediverse, I guess! Not only do Mastodon and GNU Social and Pleroma have better APIs for app developers, they all talk to eachother—so there's a vibrant social network without any single point of failure.

1. David Given

Yes --- but do they talk to Twitter?

1. Rich Puhek

Do tell

Indeed. If they don't talk to Twitter, I'm interested!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"won't offer equivalent functionality, forcing them to either pay for costly enterprise API access "

Q: When is a bait and switch not a bait and switch?

A: When you drag it out long enough for no one to notice.

This wold not be the first example of a company spending years establishing a captive customer base for a product and then deprecating it to force those customers into an expensive replacement.

4. techblogger911

Is that for real? Will twitter discontinue its operation? how about an over millions of account holders?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Windows

how about an over millions of account holders?

A Twittercaust when?

Really this article was like looking into a weird vivarium of colorful birds making loud, mysterious noises. API! API!

It would be sad to pack it all up, but reality is grim and unforgiving.

5. Mage Silver badge

Web?

There is this thing called a website.

I've had phones since 2002 that managed websites. If you need an app to duplicate phone access for a website, then the website is developed badly.

Let's not have a proliferation of proprietary APIs that often "leak" information they shouldn't!

Maybe some people are concerned about "notifications". Some are a slave to them, but email can work and can pop-up a notification on the phone screen. Or there is RSS.

Sorry I've only crocodile tears for 3rd parties trying to leverage SM, which is dubious anyway.

1. Ben Tasker

Re: Web?

> If you need an app to duplicate phone access for a website, then the website is developed badly.

I think in Twitter's case you're dead on the mark there - it's developed badly.

One of the things you commonly see people saying "use App x" for lately is a result of a change Twitter have made. If you follow someone and they "Like" something, then it'll likely show up for you marked as "so and so liked".

The person you're following clearly didn't give enough of a fuck about it to re-tweet it, so not quite sure what the logic is that it should appear.

A number of the 3rd party apps allow you to roll that functionality back, where Twitter itself doesn't (at least not without turning off some other, potentially beneficial functionality).

6. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Trollface

"joined together [..] to rally developers and customers to urge Twitter to respond"

They should use DevOps.

Isn't that the solution to everything these days ?

7. Kaltern

I'm fairly sure the only reason this is a thing is because 3rd party apps can bypass ads. Please correct me if I'm wrong of course.

It also doesn't help that Twitter's own apps are usless and badly designed.

1. tiggity Silver badge

@ Kaltern

I think main reason for 3rd party ads is not ad related but, as you said "Twitter's own apps are usless and badly designed" - all Twitter "power users" I know use 3rd party software instead of Twitter app / website

8. heyrick Silver badge

Twitter?

Wossat?

The only time I see Twitter is when news feeds quote stuff and embed it in stories.

1. P. Lee
      Linux

Re: Twitter?

>wossat?

Its a broken version of IRC.

9. Name3

Bye Facebook, Twitter

Who is the new kid in the block?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Oh dear...

How sad...

Never mind.

11. onefang

"The Register asked Twitter for comment, but all we heard were crickets."

You should have waited longer, then you would have heard the tweets of the birdy come to eat the crickets.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like