back to article Donald Trump whines and dines Oracle co-CEO Catz – reports

Oracle’s co-CEO Safra Catz was reportedly set to enjoy a slap-up meal with US president mop-haired windbag Donald Trump last night, giving the pair a chance to compare Amazon-bashing notes. The evening was, according to Bloomberg, also going to involve Peter Thiel, founder of CIA-backed data analytics biz Palantir, making it …

1. Chris G

Don't know they're bourne

"bourne by the American taxpayer"

If the ' leader of the free world' can't be arsed to spell correctly, what else can't he be arsed to do?

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Re: Don't know they're bourne

"If the ' leader of the free world' can't be arsed to spell correctly, what else can't he be arsed to do?"

Partake in a monogamous relationship with his wife? So I've heard anyway.

2. beep54
      Joke

"If the ' leader of the free world' can't be arsed to spell correctly, what else can't he be arsed to do?"

Now just hold it right there, bub! As an American, I think I can say that Angela Merkel probably can spell just fine!!

1. spold Silver badge

>Now just hold it right there, bub! As an American, I think I can say that Angela Merkel probably can spell just fine!!

She can probably spell Herr Drumpf just fine.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Trump does make me chuckle with his stupid rants that have absolutely no substance then I remember our government and potential government in waiting and sob uncontrollably like someone just stole my old bmx bike. That bike had mag wheels, stunt nuts and mushroom grips I'll have you know.

1. israel_hands

stunt nuts and mushroom grips

Sounds a lot like my penis.

On-topic, I've no idea why he thinks a postal service being used to deliver posted items is so terrible, unless the service is running at a loss, in which case that wouldn't be Amazon's fault but whoever sets the prices.

Then again, suggesting Trump "thinks" about anything rather than just running verbal diarrhea based on whatever whatever he was last told by one of his carers is a bit of a stretch.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"running verbal diarrhea"

He can't help it, someone is Putin words in his mouth.

2. Secta_Protecta

Skyway Tuff IIs I hope, you could put them in the freezer to straighten them out. Allegedly...

3. Korev Silver badge
    Coat

Star Wars?

Joint Enterprise Defense Infrastructure (JEDI) Cloud

The Empire Strikes Back?

4. }{amis}{
    Thumb Down

Draining the swamp.......

By filling it with golden bribes....

1. colinb

Re: Draining the swamp.......

Indeed, the only thing Trump hated about the swamp is that he wasn't in for a cut.

He's busy swapping the existing swampy water with his golden micturation and a side of Boondoggle.

5. Phukov Andigh Bronze badge

remember when Oracle was the darling of California's governors?

when the state of California pretty much mandated Oracle systems for all state services, and Oracle's leadership and "definitely not conservative nor GOP" governor Davis was all about praising their leadership and technical abilities? remember all the vitriol and complaints about cronyism and "follow the campaign donations" there were?

Oh yeah, me too. Almost none at all.

But replace the D with an R, nothing else changing, and suddenly it's the Crony Apocalypse.

The Reg needs less "Bay Area Bubble" ideological cheerleader writers. We read British sites because we're trying to avoid the "our team is perfect and yours is satan" crap American media spews.

take an example from the BOFH, who, like cattle prods and lorries with carpet rolls, cares nothing about your politics.

1. JohnFen

Re: remember when Oracle was the darling of California's governors?

Nope, I don't remember, since I'm not a resident of California. This comment is mistaken on two counts.

First, comparing the response of state residents to a statewide issue to the response of the citizens of a nation to a national issue is invalid.

Second, assuming that the attitude toward Oracle has anything to do with party affiliation or politics at all is invalid. Oracle has been widely disliked for a long, long time due to their business practices. Nothing has changed.

6. JohnFen

Naturally

As problematic as Amazon is, Oracle is a thousand times worse. I guess that means I'm not surprised to see Trump cozying up to them.

1. Secta_Protecta

Re: Naturally

Unfortunately the sheer fact that Trump is cozying up to Oracle automatically makes them look a million times worse. It's almost like it's a double bluff and someone in the Trump admin is encouraging him to attack Bezos in order to increase Amazon's popularity.

7. jliv

Why single vendor?

Regardless of which cloud gets selected in this government bid, I don’t understand why Uncle Sam would go with only a single vendor. Is it really so tough to build a redundant cloud architecture? Even if it is difficult, why not make that part of the deal, by requiring that the two vendors selected work together to create an integrated solution? Furthermore, you could have a 3rd vendor in “backup mode” if either of the two selected fail to meet their obligations. There are numerous variations on this theme, including hiring a 3rd party (like a GSI) to do the cross-cloud integration. Single source is a bad idea financially and also from a military perspective.

1. phuzz Silver badge
      IT Angle

Re: Why single vendor?

And more importantly to the people making the decision, that way they'd get two or three times as many bribescampaign contributions.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And the winner is ... ?

There are some dark horses out there, who don't like being in the limelight but are quite competent. Like Equinix. I only know about because a relative of mine works there. It looks like a contender, and has the added pluses of low profile, good solid tech, and its own private cables.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Android lawsuit

I bet that was on the oracle wishlist dinner

10. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

The Trump Doctrine

The psychology of the school yard bully. Identify two powerful rivals and cosy up to the stronger one while trashing the other, in actuality demonstrating a fundamentally weak and vacillating personality.

His business strategy seems to consist of playing favorites, in the hope of getting a better offer from the other party and then concessions (donations) from the first party and vice-versa. Witness his games with Chris Christy and Mitt Romney for the position of Vice-President.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BAB, less please

"The Reg needs less "Bay Area Bubble" ideological cheerleader writers. We read British sites because we're trying to avoid the "our team is perfect and yours is satan" crap American media spews.

take an example from the BOFH, who, like cattle prods and lorries with carpet rolls, cares nothing about your politics."

-=-=-=-

You gonna be downvoted to oblivion once all those Brit bots return to work tomorrow. Nah, they'll be off chasing the next anti-Trumpian shiny whatever.

And I love the Scott Adams reference. Somebody has done his/her research, but prolly not from outside of the involved country. Spectator sportage ran amuck.

12. Maryland, USA

But what about her "moron" comment?

Wasn't it Catz who indiscreetly informed coworkers that Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, during a White House dinner, had told her he thought the president was a moron?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Blah, blah, blah

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/02/01/register_comments_guidelines/

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like