back to article iOS 11.3 update throws Jamf-managed iStuffs into a loop.. into a loop.. into a loop... into a...

Mobile device management (MDM) vendor Jamf is warning admins to hold off on installing the iOS 11.3 update on iPhones and iPads until it can fix a bug in its software that was causing devices to become unresponsive. The developer says that it is working on an update to Jamf Pro 10.3 that will fix a problem caused when the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

MobileIron is having similar problems.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Bluetooth is also totally screwed (not that Apple have ever really got Bluetooth working fully), failing to pair with car units.

The battery health is not even accurate, Apple music is busted, and features have been filled last minute.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2018/04/03/apple-ios-11-3-problems-battery-life-iphone-bluetooth-ipad-crashes/#3ec6acb62f6a

A premium screwup from Apple yet again....

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

AirWatch seems fine fwiw.

3. Korev Silver badge

Admittedly n=1 but my work phone hasn't had any issues.

I haven't heard of any colleagues having problems either.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Had 5x iphone8 units bricked after update this week. Something is badly wrong. We have 20 or so iPhones so 1 in 4. (Thankfully for us, most users opted for Samsung or HTC offerings, much less hassle).

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Outsourced coding.

1. big_D Silver badge

Apple changing protocols without publishing them?

1. Korev Silver badge
        Terminator

Was this done for the beta versions? I'd assume that companies like Jamf, Mobileiron etc would test the betas with their software; especially because IOS devices nag the users to update.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interesting DS Error Alert on that phone.

Why is iOS getting a DS SegmentLoader error? Has _Pack3 been corrupted. Again. Was n't that SANE? Its been quite a while since I last IL'ed through the 128K ROM so I've forgotten the PACK ID's

I really miss 4E71.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Interesting DS Error Alert on that phone.

Was that supposed to impress us?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Why? Did it work?

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

No, you forgot to mention the dylithium crystals. Most remiss.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Sheesh. Young 'uns..

No. It was an in-joke on an in-joke. You know, nerd humour. About the image used for those of us who have been actually developing this stuff commercially since, well, 1984. I still even have the original launch tee-shirt. So not only have I been there and done that, but I also have the tee-shirt. A bit ratty and yellow by this stage.

Its a screenshot of the OS crash alert box from the original MacOS. The one that worked. The error code I mentioned looks right. For the Pack number I'd have to break out my old telephone book edition of Inside Mac. The only one I kept. I almost never saw this alert back in the day because I always had MacsBug installed. So it was always a > prompt and a reg dump and IL from there.

By the way, nice image, Story Ed'. Up the usual 'Reg's very high standards of insider humour.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

TL;DR don't care.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

For clarity, yes, it was supposed to impress you.

4. Roland6 Silver badge

Playing nice with MDM software is going to become increasingly necessary for Apple users?

Surely, it is Apple's developers who are going to have to get used to playing nicely with third-party MDM software?

5. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Alert

TITSUP

Total Inability To Service Update Phone

6. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

TITSUP

The i Thing Service Update Program

7. JakeMS
    Joke

Inspiration..

Are they now taking inspiration from Microsoft?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Of course Apple updates cause slow down and break your device

That's their business model - to force you to buy their new shiny shit.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/12/20/apple_iphone_slowdown/

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Of course Apple updates cause slow down and break your device

The ac Googletard got a new job dissing Apple?

In the tech world down clocking to save power is pretty common...

9. mrdalliard
    Meh

Stuttering Music

I've had stuttering music issues since the update. Any track I play seems like it's been subject to a Fatboy Slim remix after about ten minutes of playing. The stutter seems to occur at regular intervals. Posted the problem to the discussion forums and it seems I'm not alone. The issue happens whether you're using Spotify, MP3s, Tidal, whatever, which suggests something more fundamental is b0rked.

I wonder if this Fatboy Slim thing is supposed to replace the U2 virus we all had downloaded on to our devices a while back?

M.

1. Inspector71
      Happy

Re: Stuttering Music

Can't spot the difference on all my DJ Shadow or Kid Koala tracks.

2. DML71

and I thought it was just me! Another issue I find it that occasionally it'll play the first second of a track after a track finishes and before the next one starts.

Lets see what ios 12 brings.

3. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

A long time ago, I think I was using Fedora 5, and there was a memory management issue that was causing stuttering playback. Upon searching for a fix, came across details of a patch by none other than Linus, complete with expletive laden rant against the dev who caused the issue...

10. M7S

Didn't Apple use to have its own MDM?

I seem to recall that it was part of the Server OS "App", at least it was before they decided to denigrate that particular product. Certainly we were starting to look at its functions before they pulled the plug. It seems strange that they didn't promote this to businesses as I'd have thought it an ideal fit for them, and a way of promoting hardware sales, but then they threw small busniesses under the bus alongside that package so maybe we're not hip enough for them.

A shame as it was a potential alternative to MS for those of us not skilled enough to deploy Linux type stuff.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Didn't Apple use to have its own MDM?

Posting anon, as I used to be quite close to the subject...

Yes, Apple did have an MDM. Two in fact!

Profile Manager, part of OS X Server and Apple Configurator.

And as for denigrating the Server product?

The official line is "Business Needs".

Word squeaking out from a crack in the fruit factory is "Business Needs more money and you, you smart, clever, educated, experienced and above all, here an awful long time, you fellas? You cost us money."

So they worked to minimise the input of certain departments, especially in the support sphere.

Then, they changed job roles and functions, as part of land grab / cost cutting / build fiefdom measures.

All in the name of it being exciting times and changing business needs.

They weren't done though!

Remember those smart, educated, resourceful, experienced people they had? They managed to push those out, cause a brain drain that they publicly acknowledged and wrung their hands that they've tried to fix, but somehow, just couldn't keep them! Oh, what would poor Apple do?

In private, high up, to paraphrase Welles: Silently they laid their plans against us.

Metrics changed, methods of measuring the metrics changed. Goals changed. The idea that you could work your hours and go home with a sense of a job well done was silently taken out back and dropped in a shipping container.

Stay! Work! We'll give you a night out once a quarter! Gym! Food! Look! Doctor on site once a week, but don't complain of stress, haha, you shouldn't stressed, it's an exciting time!

Bringing people into teams that clearly wouldn't gel with the existing team structure and culture. "Catalysts for exciting change!"

Rebranding departments.

Promoting people who clearly had no idea what the job entailed, or worse, promoting people to jobs where they would crash and burn spectacularly, to remove them as a threat to perceived plans.

Then, to add injury, to insult, to overwork: Hire people!

Yes! Relief, no longer will a department have to shoulder the weight of 3 regions to support!

Oh. Wait. Why.. why is that person on a new team? Why are they only handling one language?

Oh. You mean they're hired for NEW business? And I have to train them. OK.

Do I get relived of my duties for a while to train them.. Yeah, didn't think so.

Oh, my metrics haven't been met? Wasn't it enough I was training the FNG? Sure, when are fitting my colostomy bag so I don't have to leave my desk?

Yeah, I suppose that comment was uncalled for, one big happy Apple Family...

Basically, if you've read to end of the screed, congratulations. The Apple Support structure has gutted its business & enterprise support. They've rebranded, cut out the effective experienced people who cost money in exchange for barely trained people who's biggest skill is they can speak a non-english language.

The support, empathy and experience is gone. Sure, you've gotten rid of grognards who'd argue with God himself that a certain version was perfect why'd we change, but they've essentially created a kind of reverse-outsourcing. They pay you to relocate if you speak a european language. If you take the role? Be prepared to fix iPhones all day. Oh, and be paid a pittance for the perceived level you're at.

If you happen to like creating music, or film? Be prepared to kiss those apps good bye in a few years. And fix iPhones all day.

The level of technical ability, experience and sheer knowledge that was contained in a few floors 5 or 6 years ago was frightening and awe inspiring. Now, they're barely trained and know as much as the typical call center person.

If you're after Apple Support, go to an authorised service provider. Get to know them. They're going to be the real Apple experts in about 2 years, once the brain drain is complete.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Didn't Apple use to have its own MDM?

Just a "yes" would've done.....

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"does not match Apple’s documented protocol,"

Is that PR Speak for bricked?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder what Jobs would make of the state of things nowadays?

1. UKHobo

he's spinning in his grave in a do forever loop shouting "you're all looping infinitely wrong"

13. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge
    Trollface

iBricked iToys

14. bpfh
    Joke

JAMF?

I thought that was acronym for a Dirty Harry expresson according to Urban Dictionary...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like