back to article Cisco separates switching and routing software from hardware

Cisco has taken a long, hard look at the biggest bullet in its kit, and bitten down: the company has announced it will separate its router and switch software from the hardware that hosts it. The “kill-your-darlings” decision is in response to demand from hyperscale Web outfits and service providers, rising sales of white-box …

1. thegroucho
    Joke

I looked at my calendar

It isn't 1st of April yet ...

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cisco is...~20 years behind Juniper in this? I don't work for Juniper but I'm a very happy users of their equipment.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Totally not a shill

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not totally new

IOS-XE and NX-OS were both designed to run in user mode space on a Linux kernel.

Both had been available in virtualized forms for years: The Nexus 1000V VMware virtual switch ran NX-OS, and the CSR-1000V virtual router runs IOS-XE. CSR-1000V can run on VMware, KVM, Xen, Hyper-V, Azure, and AWS.

While VMware's decision to no longer support third-party virtual switches ended Nexus 1000V's role, the CSR-1000V is popular as a way to provide OTV services without needing an Nexus 7000 or an ASR.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not totally new

Indeed. The CSP2100 is also a very fine platform to run all these virtual services

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like