back to article Mandelson puts reassuring arm around small firms

Comeback kid Lord Peter Mandelson will tell MPs later today that he is attempting to speed up the release of £1bn of European Investment Bank money for small businesses. The government has also pledged to pay small businesses within 10 days by working closely with NHS trusts in England, local authorities and other public …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ponmyword
    Paris Hilton

NuLab having a laugh

NuLab care so much about small business that they *increased* the Corporation Tax rate of small businesses by 1% while *reducing* Corporation Tax rate of large businesses by 2%.

That was bloody helpful :(

Paris would know it's not right.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Title?

Overheard in a recent meeting where both employees and contractors are being "downsized"

"Well, on the bright side, I can claim all my IR35 back now in benefits"

Mine's the one with an umbrella (company) in the pocket.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

I don't want any Government Minister's arm around my shoulder...

picking my pocket still further. Least of all Peter Mandelson's. He is a principled, honourable and reliable Lord (to be?) who has only had to leave Government twice already and so is a very appropriate figure to look after the interest of small businesses.

Oh, by the way, can anyone supply a list of small businesses that work with the Government and who can therefore expect payment in 10 days. I expect the majority of the group are Parliamentary "Consultants". There may be some working for Local Government but do you seriously expect anybody in any position of power in the pubic, corporate or private sector to give a toss about what happens to small businesses. It is, sadly, nonsensical rhetoric.

4. Frederick Karno
    Coat

not likely !!!

The last person in the world i would want putting a reassuring arm around me would be Lord Mandelson......

All his time in politics has been tainted with financial impropriety,some only gossip but others proven.

Hes the one looking for the loan agreement in me jacket......

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So, is Mandy starting a small business then?

Just wondering..

6. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

So they'll stop f'ing startups then?

The bulk of my work may get me clobbered by IR35, yet I am trying to build a new business on the back of it.

But I can effectively only invest money in my new project after having paid a much higher rate of tax than would otherwise be the case, and there is a ceiling on what I can take as expenses - which funnily enough none of my would-be [and larger] competitors face.

HMG helping? yeah right....

7. Chris G

Mandy

Ooh! you are awful!

For those too young to know this was a catch phrase of one of the characters (Mandy) of comedian Dick Emery.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Burn IR35

Have a freedom from IR35 day, and publicly burn the document in the middle of Trafalgar.

That will rally the country, and herald in a new era of prosperity and responsibility.

That is all it will take, can the government be so short sighted as not to see that the abolishment of this one bit of Inland Revenue document, would mark a turning point in the recession.

Bet they won't and the recession will deepen further because of it.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rather the embrace of an anaconda.

Mandy has been in a small way of business for quite some time. Hardly has he returned from exile in Europe before new allegations emerge that he has been enjoying the hospitality of a Russian billionaire on board his luxury yacht. The wunderkind dismisses suggestions that there is any connection between the fact that he has been negotiating European import tariffs for aluminium and the fact that the Russian's aluminium business would benefit from a lowering of the tariff.

Well, Pete, whatever you do I'm sure it's only for the public benefit, mate. I am sure you were misquoted when you were reported as saying NuLabour was "‘intensely relaxed about people getting filthy rich’. ..." and omitted to say "at other people's expense."

This topic is closed for new posts.