back to article Vodafone is UK's mobile ping king

Vodafone is the mobile network with the best ping rate, according to network performance sleuth Tutela. Tutela doesn't measure call reliability or SMS failures, unlike GWS or RootMetrics. But it does do something very useful for evaluating real world network performance: giving us the jitter, packet loss and ping rates for …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wow, 3 is gash.

1. Vince

...but the reality (for me at least) is that three works in places nobody else do and frankly, for most uses, it's always more than fast enough for what you ACTUALLY are doing.

2. Lee D Silver badge

And people keep trying to tell me that you can't game over 4G (22ms ping) when most home broadband wifi (especially the old 2.4Ghz channel-flooded stuff) can't even manage that across most people's connections to most European gaming servers.

Literally I have seen more ping problems attributable to flooded-wifi-channels (rebroadcasting all the time because of interference), overloaded wifi (i.e. too many local devices on the same AP), poor QoS (basically non-existent despite the fact that small UDP packets should always be prioritised over long TCP connections, and uploads should be prioritised over downloads so your TCP connections assemble themselves quicker over heavy-traffic connections) and just shoddy computers (loaded to the hilt with 4 antivirus programs and junk) than anything to do with the transmission media themselves.

I now only have 4G at home, no broadband at all. I can get better pings gaming over it than I used to in the town down the road. Of course you can't "guarantee" them, but you never could anyway.

1. Captain Scarlet

I have always wanted to experiement with it but I simply can't get a decent 3G or 4G connection to try it. They are ok for voice calls and simple browsing but found useless when moving when using a simple vpn (For fareness this was a usb dongle and inside).

Do you have to place your router in a specific place (I.e place on a window sill)?

How much do you pay compared to a bog standard "fibre" to the cabinet package (As this is one thing that put me off as I freeview is fine for me)?

1. Lee D Silver badge

I have bog standard Huawei thing. Mini battery-powered (USB charging) box which internally just is Android with a miniature display (that shows battery and connection status and not much else).

Huawei E5577Cs-321.

It literally serves all my local devices (Chromecast, Steam Link, laptop, tablet, phone, plus guest's items) at decent speeds for local network access and does more-than-good-enough over 4G including low-ping. It is the router for all the wireless network devices, and the gateway to the Internet.

Though I did buy an antenna for it (literally a cheap £20 thing on Amazon), it makes almost no difference whatsoever. In fact, I often walk around with the thing in my pocket if my mobile data runs out or if I need wifi in the car or at a friend's house.

I have it on a window-sill, because that's where I put the aerial and it's also out of sight. But it works fine indoors and covers the house.

I can't get FTTC. I can't even get ADSL/VDSL over 10Mb. BT literally don't serve my street at anything higher and nobody else covers it. As such I have little choice.

But I have a 40Gb package for £30 a month, (50Gb for £25 is available on other carriers, or if you don't mind signing 12-month contracts but they ponced me about and I prefer month-to-month, and they often have "add-ons" where you pay a little extra and all traffic to Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, etc. isn't counted). The cheapest total I can get for anything BT including line-rental etc. is more than that for even basic ADSL.

1. Captain Scarlet

Ah yes last place I lived at we had to put up with 3mb, yet a street away every street was FTTC and Virgin. Some neighbours didn't want ugly boxs on the street.

I am surprised such a small device would handle that many devices, so probably does warrant another look.

1. leexgx

was probably 2 people that did not want them boxes (they was probably on your local pashes council board )

not sure why but we don't have up side down pot holes (speed bumps) down our roads so at least someone local does not like them and must be rejecting them to be installed

3. ARGO

Somthing odd about those device stats

Note2's UK variant doesn't have 4G, but comes top of the performance chart?

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: Somthing odd about those device stats

Yes, no MiFi's, dongles etc., just phones.

2. Nonymous Crowd Nerd

Re: Somthing odd about those device stats

Also the older phones seem to be better - Note 2 apparently miles ahead of Note 5. Or have I read it wrong?

4. djstardust

EE (BT)

Went in to the EE shop today, and they're now really bloody expensive.

Monthly tariffs on the newest phones are insane and their PAYG prices are higher than you can buy the handset sim-free unlocked.

You can tell BT have taken over, that's for sure.

1. tip pc Silver badge

Re: EE (BT)

It’s kind of always been like that. I’ve been sim only since 2010 and purchased new handsets as and when. You also get the benefit of no carrier lock-in on the device so can move to whichever mobile net with little to no complications.

1. phuzz Silver badge

SIM-only is the way forward. As long as you have the income to buy a phone out right, it often works out cheaper than paying the phone company in instalments, plus you can pick exactly what phone you want, and it's easier to switch to another network.

2. Roland6 Silver badge

Yes, the offers disappeared and the prices went up directly after the end of the January sales and clearance in early February...

But I've just visited the third-party resellers and they seem to have reintroduced a few offers, so maybe there will be some discounting for Easter...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ive got an asus ac 4g router with sim card backup connection. benched it by downloading linux via torrent , lots of connections got 20ms pings and 70+mbps. If i wait till midnight and quiet times i get 138mbps. It does as a backup.

1. tip pc Silver badge

And who’s the carrier?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cynical

I can't comment on the other networks but as a long-suffering Vodafone customer, I would suggest they may have the lowest latency and jitter because you so rarely get a usable connection that you're probably not contending with many other users upstream!!!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like