back to article None of my flash rivals NVMe: Analyst spills tea on who's who in fabric-access NVMe arrays

It may be a surprise to some, but a tech consultancy has said that the existing all-flash array market is in no danger of losing market share to NMVe over Fabrics (NVMeoF) types – saying they're not competing in the same areas. It also said mainstream storage array suppliers would soon be snapping up the NVMeoF startups for …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just a note... DSSD was never meant to be a general-purpose data service appliance with ease-of-use and scalability in mind. It was designed for pure speed and intended to be top-of-rack storage for a very specific application market. And that it did very, very well.

1. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
      FAIL

So well that Dell EMC killed it!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That makes the point. The box was well-engineered and performed properly when used by its target audience. It died when the marketing knobs got involved and started adding "features", then tried to sell it to the general population instead of keeping it as a focused, limited product.

1. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge

So, like Violin Memory, then? Let's just see how they're doing ... oh.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

NVMe and NVMeoF

Western Digital has NVMe as well.

(Yes throw darts if needed but Tegile does provide an NVMe platform)

D5 was well a great start for what should have been the follow-on D2 product. (moment of silence for the death of good ideas). It was however a great specific product that delivered performance. We did sell a number of them to many customers, TACC makes extensive use of them today. I think, as soon as Chad S. started talking about it is when it really started to go down hill.

Then Mike (I would shutdown Apple) Dell got his hands on it, well nothing new has come from Dell. Hell they still sell the same C-Class Blade chassis they stole from HP.

1. SuperFrog
      Paris Hilton

Re: NVMe and NVMeoF

I left EMC just before the merger. The client I was working for was worried that Mickey Dell would waste no time cutting their R&D. That seems to have been sage advise. Even (Yikes!) IBM's spectrum seems to be kicking their butt minus the stupid pricing. Pure is still giving them fits too. Though there does seem to be the definitive pure camp and the (over my dead body and God sends me to hell) not-pure camp.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: NVMe and NVMeoF

+1 for the Over-my-dead-body-and-God-sends-me-to-hell-not-Pure-camp

3. WYSIWYG650

NetApp is the early leader in NVMe

NetApp has NVMe drives now and also has plans for much more. The leaders lead and the rest pay good marketers (ie. Pure).

1. chulak

Re: NetApp is the early leader in NVMe

Pure employee here. Can you clarify whether NetApp's is offering arrays with an NVMe back-end too or solely NVMe drives? I do not believe the arrays this is true for the arrays but my knowledge could be out of date so correct me if I'm off here.

BTW - Pure has been offering a full NVMe product (from the drives to the controllers) for almost a year already.

1. WYSIWYG650

I wonder why Pure did not submit for this test? Pure likes to hide from fair fights maybe? https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/17/e8_smashes_spec_sfs_2014_benchmark/

1. chulak

I could be wrong, so please correct me if I am, but SPEC benchmarks require that dedup and other data services are turned off. On Pure arrays, dedup is always on. As we always say, the fairest fight/best indicator of performance is to run your real-world workload against the vendors you are evaluating.

4. twister68

Beware the Marketing Monster

Pure x70 NVME is not shipping yet, and not sure why you may speculate that WD is looking for an NVME purchase unless its fabric related.

Yes Tegile has 2 NVME platforms coming soon, hopefully sooner than Pure :-)

1. chulak

Re: Beware the Marketing Monster

Pure employee here. Can you please elaborate what you mean by "Pure x70 NVME is not shipping yet"? The X70 and DirectFlash drives (fully NVMe technology from the drive through the array) have been shipping for the better part of a year for customer production use and POC units were available before that.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like