back to article Google buffs Chrome Enterprise with new tub of PartnerShine™

Google’s beefed up Chrome Enterprise, its US$50-a-year management service for Chrome OS devices. Launched in August 2017, the service introduced integrations with Active Directory, VMware’s Workspace One and printer management, among other features designed to make the idea of running a corporate fleet of Chrome OS devices …

1. ratfox

Chrome OS is generally held to have about one per cent market share, while Chromebooks now account for around five per cent of laptop sales

Those numbers look a bit contradictory. Or is there really so many more desktops than laptops that 5% of laptops is only 1% of computers?

1. Nuno

1% of installed base vs 5% of NEW sales

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anyone tried the Office apps on a Chromebook?

(genuine question)

1. James O'Shea

MS Office runs only under MS Windows and Apple macOS on desktops and laptops, and on iOS and Android cell phones and tablets. ChromeOS is not Android. MS Office will not run under Chrome. LibreOffice will not run under iOS or Android; there is a a viewer. There isn't even a viewer for Chrome. Use Google's offerings.

1. boboM

ChromeOS can run Android apps

https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/7021273?hl=en-GB

Some ChromeBooks CAN run Android Apps, possibly even the Office ones.

1. TVU Silver badge

Re: ChromeOS can run Android apps

"Some ChromeBooks CAN run Android Apps, possibly even the Office ones"

...plus The Register and others have reported that Chrome OS will be able to eventually run Linux apps too.

1. Killing Time

Re: ChromeOS can run Android apps

Yes they can but I find aspects like file management rather flakey at the moment. Whether the enterprise updates resolve that I don't know but for the general user this capability is still a work in progress.

2. bigmushroom

New chromebooks now all have Android support (recently out of beta). Microsoft also optimized their Office apps so they run OK on Chromebooks (with larger screens).

I have been using Word on Chromebooks and it works just fine.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Microsoft also optimized their Office apps so they run OK on Chromebooks

That's interesting.

I guess someone at Microsoft took action "scroogled" campaign. (where it complained about office not supporting chromebooks)

3. mike.kane

I've actually tried this new version of Chrome and the bookmark manager is still wonky so I'm using Bookmark OS

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like