back to article Hyperconverger Nutanix gobbles Netsil

Nutanix is gobbling Netsil, a startup that develops tech for the discovery, mapping and management of microservices in distributed cloudy spaces. San Francisco-based Netsil was founded as Gencore Systems in 2012 by Cam Nguyen, CEO Harjot Gill, COO Shariq Rizvi (ex-Twitter), and chief architect Tanveer Gill. To date, it has …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Better research please

R&D happens more and more via acquisition, good to see them realize not everything can be written in house. They can keep buying smaller outfits as long as their stock is fairly high but looking at their massive losses, their acquisitions will only be smaller companies. This might suit them just well as they want IP and libraries instead of major applications which they would then have to integrate into their existing, and increasingly fragile, framework.

However, the lack of R&D focus and lack of R&D funds is starting to show. Prism and Prism Central, while interesting when first launched, are starting to look very old and dated. It’s a monolithic app with dated libraries/GUI, lacking functionality, and ridiculous pricing.

You might want to take a look at HPE OneSphere and Cisco Intersight. Both are microservoces based and global SaaS offerings. Nutanix has been promising Calm forever (Q3 2017!) and it’s nowhere to be seen. HPE surprised everyone with OneSphere which does everything and more Calm promises, except it works and it’s available.

As to application and microservices mapping, please please please do your research before making statements such as “none of their competitors has a microservices mapping product available”. This is patently false.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Better research please

Better research would have shown that CALM is released with 5.5 of AOS, late 2017, along with some other stuff. https://www.nutanix.com/2017/12/06/7-reasons-upgrade-aos-5-5/

Customers upgrading to 5.5 can use CALM to manage up to 25 VMs (there are license packs in 25s for those who want to manage more).

According to public statements Nutanix has approaching 1,000 engineers doing R&D. NTNX tell me the simple by design Prism interface was a big reason they added >1,000 new customers last quarter and they will not be introducing anything as complicated and difficult as the ESX stack or OneSphere. Those who like complicated won't like this approach.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Ah, a Nutanix employee. You guys stick out like a sore thumb.

OneSphere and complicated? Please. It's the biggest surprise of 2018 and caught everyone off guard.

So is Calm available for anything else or just AHV? And it needs Prism Central licensing? Or just Ultimate on every node? Or both. Frankly, the licensing is screwed up.

You know, at some point this whole "it's simple" message is getting old because what you get is just rudimentary feature sets for exorbitant prices. $49,000 per node for software that does a tenth of your competition??? You are out of your mind.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

You could have just admitted you didn't check to see if your research was correct instead of being rude. CALM actually supports AHV and AWS. Coming out soon is support for ESXi and GCP. Would have to admit that covers a large share of the market. I would say you sound like a HPE employee but that does not matter. What you didn't seem to point out is that even OneSphere only supports AWS and VMware starting out and will roll out other platforms later. So seems even HPE with it's vast resources didn't support everything on day 1 so would you say their lack of R&D is showing? I think you are misguided on many things as you could have easily found out many things from the earnings that were just released including how many engineers there are, company hiring and many others.

2. Pancakes

Stop the FUD ok? Have you even read their latest earnings report? 500+ Mio in the bank, positive cashflow and you say they have R&D issues. LOL.

You sound like a salty competitor.

1. baspax

No dog in this fight but $500m in the bank? Not really. I was looking to buy some stock for long term investment and am following their fundamentals for quite a while.

It’s $500m line of credit to cover negative cashflow and get disbursed quarterly. Unfortunately, their financial health is atrocious and unsutainablr. The company is profitable only if stock payments and liabilities magically disappear, which they won’t and can’t. This is the same problem SnapChat had and has, GAAP accounting always catches up with you. Uber they are not.

I really like how much they disrupt the status quo and speed up innovation even if I disagree with the style due to my advanced age. But at the same time I feel there is an almost cultlike following which ignores reality and facts. This won’t end well.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

GAPP rules mean the $500m in deferred revenues aren’t yet counted. GAPP is not the most illuminating metric. NTNX raised $350m at IPO and has that plus the $570m recently raise at close to zero cost in the bank. Unlike Dell that money isn’t debt. It is not the picture painted in the shabby Forbes piece. NTNX would seem to have the been pretty savvy how they have raised cash and is obviously aiming to evolve with the recent acquisitions. Having invented HCI it will be interesting to see where they go next. Cult seems a harsh word. Their customers, like NMBL and PSTG, seem to really like them, unlike the IT dinosaurs, who rarely publish their NPS scores. Dell UK just claimed a NPS of 38, that is a D-, must try harder, in old money. Those three ‘new’ companies (NMBL now diluted into HPE) all had NPS >80. The newbies are reminding the old companies customers are increasing picking the new, not the old. Change is slow, but IT is changing. Phillips, Erickson or Motorola mobile anyone?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WTF

A simple Google search for "microservices mapping" and the first usable result after the ads is this here:

https://www.programmableweb.com/news/tools-to-monitor-and-visualize-microservices-architecture/analysis/2016/12/14

It's a small field. Cisco bought AppDynamics for $4bn, Nutanix bought Netsil for $5m. I am sure the products are comparable.

1. Nate Amsden

Re: WTF

appdynamics looks like a competitor to newrelic, though I would be surprised if they did not do mapping as well as it's pretty important with that kind of tool.

1. baspax

Re: WTF

NewRelic is good but geared towards cloud born apps which were designed and written by the same developers. Perfect for greenfield/startups. It breaks down fast in multisilo and multiplatform/provider environments.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Netsil seems to be using a different technology (network based?). It looks like a general purpose monitoring tool like DataDog. The company raised $5m VC money so I bet the acquisition price is more than that.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Or much less since they couldn't secure funding.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Their VCs sound happy... just read a blog somewhere...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

It’s a VC’s world and we are just living in it

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

no more active posters on the register than Nutanix employees... so sad that the startups need to throw shade at #1 all the time.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like