back to article Flappy Friday for Stack Overflow as outage woes run on

The keys Control, C and V are gathering dust around the world as Stack Overflow went for an uscheduled nap last night before going into full blown TITSUP* mode today. The site, popular with code botherers and set to celebrate its 10th birthday in 2018, is an open community of questions and answers for techies and often the …

1. PM.

Total Inability To

Save Uneducated Programmers .... :-P

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Crap.

Time to look for a new career then.

*searches for stackoverflow careers*

Oh *%^t

3. Aladdin Sane

Have they tried

turning it off and on again?

4. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Somebody edited their bootconfig in windows notepad, and truncated the file?

1. picturethis
      Joke

"Somebody edited their bootconfig in windows notepad, and truncated the file?"

No... they're running a distro with systemd and ~ATDT*&$%QW(&2-390 <carrier lost>

5. Lost In Clouds of Data
    Holmes

Seems fine to me...

... They just get it back online, or have I used it so much recently that I now have the entire site cached on my PC?

6. Warm Braw

You can't beat FORTRAN IV for this kind of problem

______ ASSIGN 25 TO PUB

______ GO TO PUB

____25 CONTINUE

7. John70

Just means they will have to learn how to develop and learn how to solve problems and find bugs for themselves.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Someone at SO...

... applied one of the wrong "top answer" to some issue at SO itself?

9. Valeyard

stack overflow has gone downhill

a few times i've had a question on pointers for how to do something algorithmically - asked for a complete code sample so they can give me a ready-made solution as if i asked for that.. or i've asked to do something without using an external library, all answers were links to libraries

and every response i've had has been needlessly snarky as hell from top-ranked contributors

now i remember why it'd been a 5 year gap since i last posted

10. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Headmaster

C Nonsense in BASIC

10 PRINT ”DRINK BEER IN PUB”

20 GOTO 10

I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader to say what the error in that program is.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: C Nonsense in BASIC

Curly quotes. The only thing worse that curly quotes when copying and pasting code are hyphens instead of minus signs.

2. handleoclast

Re: C Nonsense in BASIC

I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader to say what the error in that program is.

The programmer used a PRINT statement instead of a DRINK statement. OTOH, that could be debugging code, just to test the concept before switching to production code.

11. paddy carroll 1

Meh

As long as they don't bring back the little hitlers that run the show all should be good......

12. cantankerous swineherd

http://www.rosettacode.org/wiki/Rosetta_Code is still up.

1. herman

Hmm, if you want to know how to print 'Have beer in pub' in Brainfuck, then that is the place to ask.

13. Alistair
    Pint

well. It is somewhat obvious.

All those posts on that site, it stands to reason they've overflowed a pointer somewhere......

(its Friday, I'm working an RCA on 10 year old DB cluster that has been through not one but three outsourcing actions, and is now on the 4th storage array)

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Help!

Maybe someone on serverfault.com will know how to fix it?

15. vtcodger Silver badge

"and every response i've had has been needlessly snarky as hell from top-ranked contributors" Too right. Odd culture they have created there.

Nonetheless Stack Overflow is (well, was ...) useful for things like Python or Bash syntax I can't quite remember. Faster to use a search engine and scan the SO answer than to try three or four different guesses to see which works. And sometimes they do discuss limitations although they are rarely things I'm not aware of.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Snarky replies?

It all depends on the particular forum. But some of the questions asked are best answered with RTFM -- a bare minimum of knowledge should be required before asking.

2. Valeyard

the already-answered questions are very useful but asking your own is just not worth the effort these days

16. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Stack Overflow

Sounds like they had a build-up of Pushes and not enough Pops.

17. TRT Silver badge

"We're working hard on the issues behind the scenes and addressing the connection issues. "

But we've been slowed down by not having access to an online resource from where we can get a pre-built solution to our problem done by someone else.

18. richardcox13
    1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Not a RCA Yet

IIS?

Oh, they should really be running it on Linux... «trolls»

2. This post has been deleted by its author

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not being familiar with this issue but would OpenBSD's "Syncookies coming to PF" mitigated this issue or IIS do this already?

https://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article;sid=20180207090000

20. Anonymous Coward
    Coffee/keyboard

Can I haz teh codez?

No.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Going all Nork on the poor servers

The main issue was 2 servers that wouldn't recover, that we removed, recycled, and restored to service.

Yeah, pour encourager les autres servers.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like