back to article New Google bias lawsuit claims company fired chap who opposed discrimination

The lawsuit sparked by the sexist screed penned by former Google employee has a bitter sequel, after another former Google employee has sued on grounds his opposition to Damore's memo and other discriminatory acts at the company saw him dismissed. In a complaint (PDF) filed on February 21st 2018, former Googler Tim Chevalier …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does that mean...

... that Google is doing everything right, as they say when you piss off both sides in a partisan debate?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Does that mean...

Yes and no. I (white, straight, male, egg-head) work in a place that is latent misogynistic. (Sexual orientation is ignored, so we are clear there). Getting into an argument that female PhD students get not much help from their supervisors marks you as a troublemaker. It might be that the guys are better in muscling their way into it, but even the more strong willed gals seem to be ranked lower in the minds of some people.

To be clear: nobody is pushing any gender or supremacy or "gals can't do that" shite - openly. It's just there, lingering in the background.

Some of us younger postdocs push against it in the background, but the sausage fest that academia is....

(I am usually with the unequal opportunity rules of the BOFH: if you can do the job - you are in. I care f'all about gender, orientation, religion, ethnicity,... but if I see a PhD student that needs scientific help I try to help, don't want them to fail just 'cause some idiot supervisor ignores his duties - just because they are female or maybe not as pushy as some of their male counterparts)

1. Paul 195
        Paris Hilton

Five upvotes, five downvotes. That's what you get for trying to be nuanced.

1. Huw D

In a complete about face...

Nuanced?

Does that mean they're responsible for the death of Swype? https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/02/22/rip_swype/

2. Mike Shepherd
          Meh

The sixth downvote is from a reader who tires of poor-quality writing, which wastes readers' time in deciphering.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

With the 10th upvote being from someone who had no issues understanding the text or the point in question.

2. IHateWearingATie
        Meh

The 7th downvote comes because there are 14 upvotes, and a part of me enjoys the symmetry of seeing 14 up and 7 down.

Now, nobody touch it and the balance will be maintained.....

3. Maty

'but the sausage fest that academia is ...'

When arguing for gender equality, it's probably not a good idea to identify one gender using derogatory slang that refers to their genitals.

Had you referred to a group of women as, let's say, 'a taco feast' you would rightly be condemned for misogynistic language. It would appear that, as a warrior for equal treatment for men and women, you fail to practice what you preach.

1. anothercynic Silver badge
          Facepalm

Do you feel discriminated against when one of the male sex refers to others of his own sex as 'sausage fest'? Really? REALLY?

4. lucki bstard

'but the sausage fest that academia is....' - Depends on your department tbh

Get out into the fresh air and visit other departments it might be an education.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Get out into the fresh air and visit other departments it might be an education."

We are out in the fresh air - much of the time (geo sciences). And I do collaborate with scientists from maths, history, geography, biology, marine sciences, geology, physics and computer science (of different sex, gender, orientation, nationality and ethnicity). The others should get out and meet people...

Ok, I should have written: the sausage fest that is our department (at least when it comes to senior staff, who are the problem). I thought that this would have been clear from the context - but reading comprehension is not everybody's forte.

And maybe I should not have used that term - so what. I can also complain about the foreigners around as well - this is not my home county I work in (I am the above male, straight, white AC and a f'ing foreigner, at least for some parties and people).

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Does that mean..

"but reading comprehension ^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H writing is not everybody's forte."

There, fixed it for you.

The meaning in the original post was pretty clear and not at all like the "clarification".

Or, to summarise:

Academia != Problematic Senior Staff in Your Department

Depends on your department, tbh ~= What you said the second time, but not the first

Passive aggressive == Passive aggressive

5. 404

20th upvote because I get what he's talking about and disregard the extraneous 'triggers'.

2. anothercynic Silver badge

Google can't get it right, can they? Rock. Hard place. Oy vey!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is the problem when a private company tries to police the political views of its employees.

Keep politics out of the workplace and there won't be a problem. Employees go home at the end of the day and can do what they like and it's nothing to do with their employer any more.

1. Adam 52 Silver badge

Unfortunately that's become impossible, companies like Google are under huge pressure from lobby groups and the media and so force those politics onto their workforce.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Adam 52,

How was any of this forced on Google. How many companies have you worked for that have an internal social network with active discussion groups on politics and social policy? Including allowing (or possibly even encouraging) discussion on the company's own HR policy?

Were I running a company I might well have an internal message system / wiki / social thingamijig. But it would definitely be limited, and moderated. I might allow fun discussions on sport (if I were feeling brave), but no way in hell would I allow political discussion. That way madness lies.

the fact that Google allowed this, and then managed it so pisspoorly is nobody's fault but Google management.

1. JoeSoMD

Google can allow this to happen because they are under ZERO economic pressure due to their status as pretty-much a monopoly. The company prints money so they don't have to give a hoot what any of their employees do or don't do, for the most part. Most other firms have to get their employees to work really, really hard and stay focused on "the work" to be able to make a go of it. When there's no pressure to make money almost any staff behavior is permitted.

2. Kane

"Unfortunately that's become impossible, companies like Google are under huge pressure from applying huge pressure as a lobby groups and the media and so force those politics onto their workforce."

There, fixed that for you.

3. Stu Mac

Fuckem. Be out and proud and take it head on.

"white, abled, straight, cisgender, and male" with the probable exception of straight are the progenitors of everything interesting and useful in the modern world. Since about 1760 in fact.

Minority groups? Lose every time in a stand up. WASP always wins. They can put their dystopian nightmares where the monkey out the nut. Stop complaining and get back on The Train where life is good.

2. DontFeedTheTrolls
      Flame

Sorry, but the problem being highlighted is the politics of the workplace.

If ALL staff in a company left all their biases at home then there wouldn't be a problem. But people don't just switch off bias like that, so all companies need to Police the views of everyone in the workplace.

Sorry, but the problem being highlighted is the politics of the workplace.

If ALL staff in a company left all their biases at home then there wouldn't be a problem. But people don't just switch off bias like that, so all companies need to Police the views of everyone in the workplace.

Now there's a recipe for a nightmarish dystopian future!

No! Companies should not police the views of everyone in the workplace. Firstly it's a recipe for trouble, feuds, timewasting and probably bullying. As has happened here.

Companies should police their employees' actions.

There's also a place for training and persuasion, in order to overcome bias. And robust policies, with proper oversight, to question when people are failing to promote a diverse range of candidates. Which also means someone also needs to be measuring how well the company is doing.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@I ain't Spartacus

You don't need a recipe for it, we are already guaranteed a nightmarish dystopian future.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: @AC

The future is Borg - resistance is futile.

Or put another way, compliance is not optional.

2. Sir Runcible Spoon

@DontFeedTheTrolls

But people don't just switch off bias like that, so all companies need to Police the views of everyone in the workplace.

So you're suggesting that the Google discussion forums are just a honeypot to attract the comments that will get people fired?

Let this be a lesson to all those keyboard warriors who want to shove their (political) opinions (of whatever stripe) down other peoples' throats.

3. Dr Scrum Master

Keep politics out of the workplace and there won't be a problem.

That becomes rather difficult when the workplace HR departments push politics within the workplace.

4. Cuddles

"Keep politics out of the workplace and there won't be a problem."

Indeed. I find it hard to argue with the manager who said he was spending too much time expressing views on a social media platform. Too much time in that regard is anything greater than zero. Having a big of a chat while making tea or whatever is fine, and people shouldn't be expected to be a-social robots during working ours, but if you're spending any amount of time playing on a Facebook-substitute rather than actually working, I don't see any issue with you being fired for it, regardless of how correct the things you post on it might be. It's partly Google's fault for providing such a platform to employees in the first place, but given that they'd already warned him about his overuse of it, it certainly seems to be more his problem than theirs.

@Adam 52

"Unfortunately that's become impossible, companies like Google are under huge pressure from lobby groups and the media"

Google is by far the biggest lobbying group around, and have a huge amount of control over what media people see. Far from being under huge pressure from those areas, they're the ones putting pressure on everyone else.

1. hplasm
        Devil

"But...

... if you're spending any amount of time playing on a Facebook-substitute rather than actually working,..."

Posted during your lunch break, of course.

5. anothercynic Silver badge

Unfortunately...

... Private companies *have to* police the political views of their employees... *expressed in the workplace* (as is their right under appropriate workplace legislation). By saying 'Keep politics out of the workplace' you are expecting them to police the workplace (to ensure politics stays out of it). Of course, the fact Google find themselves in this situation because they possibly *didn't* police their workplace appropriately (they possibly felt that being able to express your political view in a respectful manner is possibly conducive to good workplace morale, and had lax controls/rules surrounding this), is somewhat ironic.

One motto that has held true for online communities/IRC channels/workplace communications is: Don't discuss religion. Don't discuss operating systems. Don't discuss politics. :-)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's just how you want to call it...

"hinted that Chevalier was spending too much expressing his views on Google's internal social media platforms"

I suppose it's just how you want to call it. I personally would describe this as getting fired for not doing the things you got hired for. But if that activity involved expressing yourself against discrimination then I suppose that description also somewhat fits.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Re: It's just how you want to call it...

This is just a prime example of a massive social engineering experiment starting to come off the rails.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"internal social media platforms" ??

Maybe avoiding "internal social platforms" would be a smart move at workplaces? The author of "The Circle" looks to know well how those silly companies are organized inside.

I'm used to stay away from any internal "social" group of any company I worked for - because work is work, and life is life. I stay away even from company parties, dinners or whatever as much as I can.

While a few colleagues are also friends, not all colleagues are friends, and if I feel I need new ones, I'll look for them outside the workplace, and whatever I do inside the workplace it's better to be professional stuff only.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "internal social media platforms" ??

Unfortunately, this is in practice next to impossible, especially at Google. There is more than one "social media platform" in Google. The main one is---gmail. Yeah. Basically, stuff runs like a list serve. So, you subscribe to the list that informs of speakers coming to your campus. Replies are allowed. Guess where that goes. How about a general local events notifier? Yep.

And significant amounts of this are in fact work related, at least for some chunks of employees.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It does look like Google employees have a lot of time on their hands available for talking politics.

It does look like Google employees have a lot of time on their hands

It's a shame they don't spend some of it on sorting their Youtube system out. I know it's asking too much that they pay artists a fair amount (after all that is by design. But they could avoid promoting fake news videos about children who've been involved in a high school shooting and accusing them of being actors - for an example...

1. 404

Bastard.. made me look at the pdf -> Chevalier is an 'accomplished software developer and computer scientist' - was very curious as to what he did for Google (just in case it was Youtube lmao).

2. JoeSoMD

They are pretty much a monopoly and don't have to do crap to make money. No need for management to have a difficult conversation with an under-performer because the money just keeps flowing in. My sense is that the posters on this site are pretty tech savvy, and he normalcy bias in typical posts comes out pretty strongly to a person like me who is not. Google's services are fine with me and lots of dweeb's like me because we don't know any better. It's not in our realm of experience as they say. So the herd will just keep on using their services and they can party-on debating LGBTQ+ issues. They may fall hard one day... but it won't be anytime soon.

2. handleoclast

Time on hands

@AC

It does look like Google employees have a lot of time on their hands available for talking politics.

Whereas others have a lot of time on their hands available for posting comments about all sorts of topics here. :)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Time on hands

Snowflake: I'm right, everyone who disagrees with me is wrong. I'm not open minded enough to consider opposing views. Ban free speech, unless it's mine.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So let me try and understand this.

Google sack a white straight male for his discriminatory views.

Google then sack a queer, disabled transgender for their discriminatory views.

I see no problem with this. Do we think that because one is in a minority they should be treated differently?

Equality - be careful what you wish for unless you really want it and understand how it works. You can't have biased equality.

1. Nick Kew

Noone should be dismissed just for having views. One hopes there's more to justify it both these cases than has been revealed in these columns.

In the Damore case, quite a lot is known, including what he actually wrote. In this case, less is known, leaving open (on simple Bayesian principles) a higher likelihood that his dismissal was indeed merited.

1. Peter2 Silver badge

It sounds like the latest guy to be fired was fired because he was spending too much time doing this, and not enough on what Google thought they were paying him for.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Nick Kew

I did consider that myself but the statement from google starts with,

"All employees acknowledge our code of conduct and other workplace policies, under which promoting harmful stereotypes based on race or gender is prohibited"

Therefore my understanding is that this person was discriminating against others. There is no good discrimination even if what you are writing is generally true because you are labelling everyone which is the one thing you should be fighting against. I think some people just find it hard to understand the concept.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

I really do think it's time people were educated about the difference between *discussing* prejudice and actually *employing* prejudice.

If your actions/words do not directly involve the subjugation/humiliation/oppression/exemplification of another person or persons based on an unalterable human characteristic then it should not be considered as discrimination.

3. Cederic Silver badge

Although it's interesting to note that an individual with the same name is referenced in the Damore/Gudeman case - page 21, then Exhibits B 16, 26, 40, 44, 46, 83 and 86.

(see https://www.scribd.com/document/368692388/James-Damore-Lawsuit )

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Individual with the same name referenced in the Damore/Gudeman case

@Cederic: "Although it's interesting to note that an individual with the same name is referenced in the Damore/Gudeman case"

James Damore Lawsuit

'We don't have a problem with divisiveness. We have a problem with racism - here at google, and in the population at large'

'I'm queer-ass nonbinary trans person that is fucking sick and tired of being told to open a dialogue with people who want me dead .. we are at a point where the dialogue we need to be having with these people is "if you keep talking about this shit, I will hurt you"'

'Alternate proposal: moratorium on hiring white cis heterosexual abled men who aren't abuse survivors.'

'I would also like to state a boundary that if this thread becomes centered on how white men feel about being called sexist and how white people in general feel about called racist, I will mute notifications. It's up to +Colin McMillen how to moderate threads on his statuses, but that is my boundary.'

2. ds6 Silver badge

This is the comment I came here to see

Holding moderate, middling opinions that favour no one in particular also seem to be favoured by no one in particular, quite a peculiar thing. It's hard to fight for your thoughts when you aren't explicitly on anyone's side.

And, I can guarantee you, regardless of the outcome of this situation—i.e. it is publically revealed the latest firing was the result of discrimination and stereotyping, which I will assume based on how the ex-employee posits their claims—will surely be Google's paddling for being a naughty one and daring to harm a minority, even if it was for perfectly legitimate reasons.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
        Joke

Re: This is the comment I came here to see

will surely be Google's paddling for being a naughty one and daring to harm a minority, even if it was for perfectly legitimate reasons.

Sacking someone for being a dick - that's a paddling.

Not sacking someone for being a dick - that's a paddling.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> I see no problem with this. Do we think that because one is in a minority they should be treated differently?

This is a start, but others whose public conduct was on par with Chevalier are still employed at Google. Liz Fong-Jones for example (one can verify this on Twitter). Now Google confirms what we've suspected all along: management allowed this nasty 'activist' subculture to fester for years, even rewarded it. Why weren't they "nipped in the bud" like Damore?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I find Liz-Fong Jones and Tim Chevalier are quite different in their tone and arguments. They may share similar convictions, but behavior is more important than opinions in these matters.

6. find users who cut cat tail

Google will simply fire people not taking their Joy pills regularly. Not surprising, since bringing dystopian future closer is their main business...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Animal Farm

I've got a copy somewhere, must re-read it. If I could be bothered

1. Teiwaz

Re: Animal Farm

Animal Farm

I've got a copy somewhere, must re-read it. If I could be bothered

Never mind, just watch the animated version then...

1. 's water music

>>I've got a copy somewhere, must re-read it. If I could be bothered

Never mind, just watch the animated version then...

I have a vague recollection of a live-action film version from the 80s maybe. Based on the recollection I won't be googling for more details from work though

1. Teiwaz

I have a vague recollection of a live-action film version from the 80s maybe. Based on the recollection I won't be googling for more details from work though

1999 - Allegedly Prompted by the sucess of 'Babe' - Even more divergent from the book than the 1954 animated version though...

1. LucreLout

1999 - Allegedly Prompted by the sucess of 'Babe' - Even more divergent from the book than the 1954 animated version though...

Rumour has it that may not be the film the original author was thinking about... it was a little more.... adult/gross/possibly illegal. Allegedly.

8. SimonC

> Chevalier later commented on the now-infamous James Damore post that argued women are biologically ill-suited to working in technology.

Good to see the register is unbiased, the actual quote was;

> "I'm simply stating that the distribution of preferences and abilities of men and women differ in part due to biological causes and that these differences may explain why we don't see equal representation of women in tech and leadership."

Somewhat of a difference, saying women are biologically ill-suited when what was stated is that they're less inclined to enter the industry - not that they're inferior when they get there.

1. LucreLout

Good to see the register is unbiased, the actual quote was....

Quite. While El Reg was always left leaning, it's lately swung so far to the left its in danger of competing with the Groan. I'm increasingly wondering why they're pushing this anti-Damore agenda based upon things they're fully well aware that he didn't actually say.

Agree with what Damore said, or disagree with it; either way is fine if you use facts. Deliberate misrepresentation of what was said in order to argue against it, is I believe, known as a strawman. Knock it on the head Reg. you're better than that..... or at least you were once.

1. Hollerithevo

Damore's facts?

Damore mae a statement. He did not back it with facts. The fact, as I see it, is that the difference between male and female brains is not significant, and that there is a wider range of difference within male brains or female brains han between male and female. I am happy to google to find that meta-study. Of course, I don't know what 'brains' means -- thinking power? And we all know that thinking power is only only part of what people bring to work. I've know people (chaps, in this case0 hired because they loved golf -- they brought a cultural/social aspect that the boss wanted. And of course off they all went, golfing every weekend and discussing business, leaving the non-golfers out of the loop.

1. Nightkiller

Re: Damore's facts?

"Damore mae a statement. He did not back it with facts."

What? Another user parroting the party line?

2. Nick Kew

@Hollerithvo

The fact, as I see it,

Erm .....

is that the difference between male and female brains is not significant,

Evidence? Or is that pure blind prejudice?

(Note, I'm not saying you're wrong. I retain an open mind on the evidence of differences).

and that there is a wider range of difference within male brains or female brains han between male and female.

That at least is uncontroversial, though it's often presented as a red herring in arguments, as if it negates actual differences.

3. juvenihil

Stop parroting, open a book.

You are wrong. Male and female brain *are* significally different. Just not from a structural pow. But, coming to functional, hormonal and neuropeptides pathways representation, along with receptorial population, they *are* different. Deeply.

How do you think a woman brain can handle something like pregnancy and breast feeding, along with nurturing the infant? A male brain simply cannot produce nor make a use of that much oxitocine.

I would be happy to PubMed you more than a dozen of studies and meta analysis, but I would only prove you don't have a clue in psico-neuro-endocrinology, neuroscience and evolutionary psychology.

2. ds6 Silver badge

I could see it described as that just fine. A little on the aggressive tone, but not particularly malicious.

For the record, I passed you an upvote.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
        Paris Hilton

I'm still wondering about the recent abrupt change in the editorial staff.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sacking anybody who uses the term "cisgender" seems entirely reasonable. The same goes for anyone who "identifies as non-binary" or, indeed, anybody who "identifies" as anything,

1. Warm Braw

anybody who "identifies" as anything

Say goodbye to anyone who's ever worn a facsimile football shirt, then - or indeed a genuine one.

Maybe you're on to something....

1. juvenihil

Never heard any football shirt bearer saying "I identify as Cristiano Ronaldo and expect you to adress me accordingly".

10. scrubber
    WTF?

"promoting harmful stereotypes based on race or gender is prohibited"

There are non-harmful stereotypes that you can promote based on race or gender? Please list them.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Possible Example: "Men of color have big schlongs"?

Do you know what, even in jest I have absolutely no idea if I have just committed a crime or not.

Where are the rules? We should all be petrified.

2. nijam Silver badge

> Please list them.

No, that would be offensive.

Is this whole discussion an episode from a Kafka novel?

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
        Joke

Is this whole discussion an episode from a Kafka novel?

TELL ME! WHO IS THIS 'KAFKA' !!?

Amy, Amy. Bad gorilla. Ugly, ugly woman. :)

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Most of the time, men are taller than women.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How about:

XXX ethnicity is smart?

XXX ethnicity is good-looking?

XXX ethnicity is capable?

You try! The formula is:

"XXX ethnicity is" + positive attribute!

11. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

"Keep politics out of the workplace and there won't be a problem."

Okay, but the quid pro quo is we we keep "workplaces" out of politics; i.e. no corporate funding of political parties and lobbyists.

1. LucreLout

Okay, but the quid pro quo is we we keep "workplaces" out of politics; i.e. no corporate funding of political parties and lobbyists.

Congratualtions you just bankrupted the labour party. Unions are, after all, just corporations. For member, read customer. For dues, read price. I'll readily agree that is not how they portray themselves, but that's just marketing.

12. Gordon 10

FFS it's not hard.

Anyone who is incapable of self-censoring themselves on a corporate social media platform is autodarwinating themselveselves from their employment.

Your fellow employees and your employer's are not your friends and posting shite on social media is not what you are paid for.

Anyone who fails to grasp that deserves all they get. Whatever their orientation or affiliation.

13. ForthIsNotDead
    WTF?

Good riddance

The guy (that'll trigger him nicely if he reads this) sounds like a proper self-opinionated lefty SJW trouble-making dick.

Dick will probably also trigger him.

Him will probably also trigger him.

Oh no... I'm stuck in a recursive trigger loop!

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
      Joke

Re: Good riddance

I'm starting a pool on how long it will be before your post is deleted :)

Don't be silly. The forum Mods are in the pub. It's nearly Friday you know!

1. LucreLout
          Joke

Don't be silly. The forum Mods are in the pub. It's nearly Friday you know!

Presumably pissing on the floor as they can't decide whether to use the mens toilet, or the ladies.

Come on people, and mods, it's just a joke. No really, it's a joke.

2. Swarthy
          Gimp

>Sigh<

I miss the Moderatrix; the gentle touch of Ms Bee's lash....

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
            Headmaster

Re: Moderatrix

Don't we all?

->> That's me gettin' a paddlin' :)

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I miss the pet talk that we got with Sarah Bee.

You know, if you got a bit too far out of line and she felt the need to discuss the practicality of keeping pitbulls.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> I'm starting a pool on how long it will be before your post is deleted :)

I give it about 15 minutes.

I have the honour of having the only comment deleted by mods on the last Damore article. For touching upon the same subject, and a hell of a lot more tactfully than ForthIsNotDead. (I was only trying to be inclusive, honest!) That was Monday, 7am, San Fransisco time. It's 6:45 there now.

1. ForthIsNotDead

Well guys* in fairness to the mods, two hours have elapsed and so far my comment is still there. If it does get deleted, it wasn't deleted by me!

* other gender types are available, including inanimate objects.

14. GrumpenKraut
    Devil

"white, abled, straight, cisgender, and male"

Urgs, I am all of that. Should I feel bad now?

But seriously, I'd stay the hell away from anyone using the word "cisgender" even once.

Devil

Re: "white, abled, straight, cisgender, and male"

You need to immediately chop one of your own legs off, and have sex with a man. Though I think probably not simultaneously.

This will reduce your privilege sufficiently that decent people might consider talking to you. Maybe.

You could of course reduce your privilege even further, by "blacking up". However, only if you don't get caught...

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Any of you actuall work for Google?

1) Google encourages you to bring your "whole self" to work. As long as it conforms to their all-encompassing liberalism.

2) Google HR aggressively pounds out discrimination, from hiring to raises & promotions to overall environment. As long as you aren't white, male, straight, married, cis, Christian or, worst of all, conservative or libertarian.

3) Management is completely on board with this.

Seriously, why they lack the huge posters/hangings of IBM, the place was flat oppressive. People were expected to spend a significant part of their energy looking for "discriminatory" conduct.

Just do your job. Yeah. Someone could easily drop 2-3 hours a day on internal social media and barely be noticed.

16. sisk

Perhaps this guy is one of those SJWs who don't know the difference between advocating for equality and spewing hate speech and advocating discrimination against whatever group they perceive as the oppressive majority. If so then Google would absolutely have had strong grounds for terminating him. I mean it's pretty hard to imagine an entire corporate culture went from "you're advocating equality, here's a bonus" to "You're advocating equality, GTFO" with one management change.

It is, however, entirely possible that what happened is exactly what he says happened. Without seeing the actual memos and posts we can't be sure.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Having seen some of his public posts shortly after the shit hit the fan, it's the former. Apparently the management themselves are too SJW to accept that he crossed the line, and only fired him after he ignored multiple warnings. It's hard to see it as anything but a double standard.

17. Daggerchild Silver badge
    1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Google are evil, because humans are evil.

If the story about him laying into the mother of a disabled child for choosing a wrong word is true then it seems like Google is waking up to the fact that not all of its left wing employees are little darlings.

1. Nick Kew

Interesting comments. Perhaps some journalist might investigate the reality of it.

'Cos if this turns out to be what he's really like, one could be tempted to speculate on whether and why we're being prompted to compare a man who politely expressed an opinion (albeit a dissident opinion) with an utter s**t.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

His blog certainly contains some posts defending political violence. Whether he cleans them up remains to be seen. I didn't bother reading further.

My suspicion is that after he was cited so many times in Damore's legal complaint Google actually got around to investigating him and he's been shitcanned for potentially losing Google the case against Damore by being a dick.

1. Nick Kew

Actually, having now taken a look at Damore's legal complaint[1], Chevalier doesn't appear particularly unpleasant/abusive. He's one voice among many, and by no means at the extreme.

What he (or indeed Damore) may have done elsewhere is a whole nother question.

[1] It starts well, but also seems to indulge in manufactured outrage that looks a lot like what the SJWs themselves go in for.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Simon said ..

"The lawsuit sparked by the sexist screed penned by former Google employee has a bitter sequel"

Do keep your biased subjective opinions off this technology site. In the mean time would you care to provide links to the actual forum posts Chevalier made, that google deemed grounds for dismissal.

19. stu 4

cisgender

using that made up word in a sentence is reason enough for dismissal imho.

SJW/snowflakes are just as bad as right wing neo-nazis. each are extremists.

Extremists are bad - it's really irrelevant what they are extreme about.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: cisgender

The word is hardly made up, cisatlantic is in several dictionaries, it simply means 'this side of the atlantic'. The same prefix can be applied to any work that the trans- prefix can be applied to.

I'm more annoyed when people appropriate the German pronoun Sie and spell it in some ridiculous manner such as ze or xe.

2. Clunking Fist

Hey now, calm the farm: I and all my buds refer to ourselves as cis-gendered. It winds up both SJWs and those who seem to have a hatred of the otherwise-identified or -orientated.

Always adopt a insult, it lessens the slinger's ability to injure.

3. Clunking Fist

PS aren't ALL words made-up?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like