back to article So... Nokia's taking a long, hard look at its health unit

Nokia appears to be revising its ambition to be the data kingpin of the digital health industry. The Finnish telecomms giant has put its Digital Health business up for “strategic review”. This “may or may not result in any transaction or other changes”, it says coyly. Over the past two years, Nokia has quietly assembled a …

1. OffBeatMammal

after trying various Fitbit and the ilk, I've settled on a Nokia Steel HR (actually, the earlier Withing branded model) and ... I love it. The fact it looks like a real watch, and the battery goes for about 20 days without shutting down is pretty amazing considering it also includes the whole array of heart rate, sleep etc monitoring.

while it's not a full 'smartwatch' I can do simple notifications on the in-built screen and that's usually enough to let me know if I actually want to pick up my phone.

I'd actually trust Nokia - provided they take their network engineering approach - to be the ones who could build out a persona EHR solution for long term tracking and consolidation (and securing) of my data ... as someone who has moved countries (in total four times!) that challenges of keeping the major records are a frustration, but even having changes from Fitbit to Withing has meant I don't have a good consistent record from my pedometer/HR monitor/scale etc .. that's why this industry will continue to churn without someone less obsessed with lock-in and annual replacement than Apple as the shining star

1. Bugsy11

If the Withing Watch does not do HomePods, HomeKit device controls, does not tap you on the wrist when it's time to turn on the road, and does not buy you stuff with a swipe of the wrist, then it's future is bleak. Nokia are smart enough to see that.

2. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Which market?

There's a big difference between medical care in the community for walking wounded with ongoing "virtual hospital" records, and fitness nudge devices and sleep monitors for the worried well. There's probably also a big differences in price between people whose breathing actually needs to be monitored at night, and those of us who just want to achieve our 10,000 huffs, or whatever it is.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like