back to article OpenSSL alpha adds TLS 1.3 support

Developers working with OpenSSL can finally start to work with TLS 1.3, thanks to the alpha version of OpenSSL 1.1.1 that landed yesterday. Getting TLS 1.3 into users hands and working with infrastructure has been a long, slow process: the first version of its Internet-Draft dates back to April 2014, it reached version 23 in …

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

a “grand redesign” of the OpenSSL random number generator

Wasn't that in the first version of LibreSSL?

2. Hans 1
    Pint

Beer due!

This is great, I invite everyone to test this version, we have to find and squash bugs still present and need everybody's help. This library is used in a gazillion pieces of software on all currently developed platforms, we need to help the OpenSSL guyz here ... just download, compile, run a few tests and report any issues you find - we need everybody to join in because this software is used by every single netizen.

And beer due for the OpenSSL team!

1. Alistair
      Windows

Re: Beer due!

@ Hans1

Easy there cowboy, while I respect your enthusiasm to help get this rolled out, we do want to make note of the key component of both that title and the point of release; OpenSSL alpha. This stuff be sandbox/playtime only in my books. Which is why I'm rejecting a code promotion from an idiot developer who cannot read. This goes nowhere near prod systems yet.

I have a vm or three what will get this, but I'll be kicking this off the Dev host now.

3. anothercynic Silver badge

"A grand redesign"...

... Should we be worried?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "A grand redesign"...

... Should we be worried?

Probably. It secures most of the systems on the internet, is only funded by donations, the APIs changed incompatibly in v1.1, and the two principal developers quit last year.Yes, we should worry.

2. J. Cook Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Re: "A grand redesign"...

Well, if it involves using the lava lamp wall in Cloudflare's SFO offices.... possibly.

Sadly, I'm not joking.

(Article here: https://blog.cloudflare.com/randomness-101-lavarand-in-production/)

4. Chris King

"Shambling corpse of ancient, shoddy, buggy, crypto shoved towards the grave"

For a moment there, I thought you were talking about OpenSSL itself !

1. Alistair
      Windows

Re: "Shambling corpse of ancient, shoddy, buggy, crypto shoved towards the grave"

@ Chris King:

You weren't the only one.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like