back to article Russian conmen punt iPhoneys

Russian confidence tricksters have started manufacturing their very own iPhone clone, but it only runs long enough to convince the mark to part with his money. Russian news site Cifrovik, which has a pic of the device, reports that conmen are equipping an iPhone shell with a backlit panel and some electronics that light up …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Sounds like the feature set...

..is only marginally better than a real iPhone. ;)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Any more of a con than what Apple offers?

Well that sounds about as useful as an iPone. Flashy to show your friends, and incapable of doing anything useful.

3. It wasnt me
    Happy

I want one ...

Where can I get one? Its got a lighty uppy apple on it. I neeeeddd one.

Noooowowwwww.

Pleeeeeease ------

Where can I get one ....

Give me apple......

4. James

I suppose the world is full...

of iDiots just lapping up anything with a small "i" in front of it.

5. Jeff

Has this been around for a while?

Or are they faking the 2G iPhone to apeal to nostalgic marks?

6. Jessica Werkz

and next...

they'll be cloning donkey Nokia's no doubt.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

to Jeff

sounds like the con works around a dead battery and a fraudster who pretends to be dumb, 'I cant replace it, so i'm selling it cheap' the mark has some inteligence and knows a screwdriver can do the job so parts with cash.. now the whole con works around a dead battery, and a mark with some intelligence, well enough to know that batteries die over time (say 12-16 months) and there-in lies the clue why its not a 3G!

8. Lloyd

Oh dear

Here we go again, I regularly use my iPhone for web surfing, a far better experience than Windows mobile and certainly that awful Opera mobile browser, maps are very handy and admittedly he camera is utter shite but it's more than made up for by the size of the screen when viewing video.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

You see, Lloyd, here's your mistake:

>"I regularly use my iPhone for web surfing, a far better experience than Windows mobile"

You're comparing it to the wrong thing there. Rather than eulogising the ease and convenience of a sack of turds as compared to a bag of shite, a better comparison would be surfing on your phone versus not bloody doing it at all!

The so-called mobile web is a heap of pants, and no matter how shiny the UI or how much bigger the screen, it's still a sad waste of human life. If you can't cope with existence for a few hours disconnected from the cyber-umbilical of teh intarwebs until you can get to your home or office pc, you are living it wrong!

10. Lloyd
    Alert

Oh dear again

"The so-called mobile web is a heap of pants"

You are aware that the mobile web is actually simply "the web" are you not? Or are you simply using a phone so old that it uses WML?

"If you can't cope with existence for a few hours disconnected from the cyber-umbilical of teh intarwebs until you can get to your home or office pc, you are living it wrong!"

Thank you for telling me how to live my life, I will immediately throw away any gadgets I have and spend my time trawling web sites I'm not qualified to comment on with my inane drivel. In the meantime, I will ask a question of you, have you ever come out of the cinema trying to remember where you know that bloke in the film from? Would you

a) Just open your phone browser and look it up on IMDB (and in your case presumably have an ill informed rant on their forums too).

b) Phone up all your mates (apparently far more social than using the web even if it takes 200 times as long and costs the price of a 1 bedroom flat in Newcastle) until you get the answer?

11. Jessica Werkz

@You see, Lloyd, here's your mistake

"If you can't cope with existence for a few hours disconnected from the cyber-umbilical of teh intarwebs until you can get to your home or office pc, you are living it wrong!"

Suppose this makes sense to someone.

12. Big_Boomer Silver badge
    Pirate

@ Lloyd

@ Lloyd

IMHO any normally sane person would wait until they got home, and if they remembered what it was they wanted to look up, would then look it up on the Interweb, if they could still be bothered.

Personally I use a Krapia N95 and use it to check the weather forecast more often than anything else. It's nice to have but by no means necessary. My N95 is a tool, not a fashion accessory. I waited until I could get it at a reasonable price.

Before the interweb we had to spend hours trawling through encyclopaedias and other sources to find what we needed. Now we just Google/Yahoo/Ask it.

The "Mobile" Web is just an extension of that for people who just have to know RIGHT NOW!

iPoop users are a small subset of those who just HAVE to be at the "cutting edge" of fashion.

And before anyone starts telling me how good the iPoop or any other phone is I DON'T CARE.

They are all shite compared to a decent PC with a decent browser.

13. Be Reasonable
    Thumb Up

People this stupid...

...really deserve all the misery they get.

14. Robin Weston
    Jobs Horns

the upside

at least you won't be forced to use the latest version of itunes! the Mrs has just got a new 4gen nano and it made me "upgrade" to itunes 8. I thought that windows vista was bloatware, but my reasonable spec desktop pc running windows XP crawls painfully when itunes is open now.

the ipod's a nice bit of kit, but if i'd realised that it would force an "upgrade" to substandard pc software i'd have suggested she got something different... a brief chat with apple support suggests i should buy a mac as itunes runs dandy on that..... they can poke that one, i'm not one for blackmail.

15. mahoney

iDoucheBags...

Are you sure these dudes aren't actually on the Apple payroll?

16. Gis Bun
    Happy

Oh ya

To me it sounds like an improvement on the iPhone 3G and it's cheaper!

Only those twinkies who want everything from Apple will buy this junk.

17. Marco Alfarrobinha
    Go

@ Jessica

They already have. Google for Fake Nokia N95... I've seen one and it is a horrible little thing with absolutely no redeeming features...

18. Lloyd
    Alert

@Robin Weston

Absolutely correct, iTunes is the biggest POS I've ever encountered, I like my iPhone but iTunes brings the whole thing down, who cares if it works well on a Mac, I'm not a graphic designer so I don't use Macs.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like