back to article Uber and Waymo sitting in a tree, S-E-T-T-L-I-N-G

Uber and Google-owned self-driving car biz Waymo have reached a settlement in the infamous lawsuit between the two. The case is reportedly being dismissed with prejudice, according to local reporters in the San Francisco court where the case is being heard. That means the case cannot be reopened later on if one side changes …

1. }{amis}{
    Unhappy

Smoking Gun

Sounds like Waymo must have evidence solid enough to batter Uber into line, i cant see them caving like this given their track record unless they had no other option.

Either way I appear to have over stocked on pop-corn expecting the fur to fly anyone want some ;->

1. asdf

Re: Smoking Gun

Too lazy to research but I am betting whose making self driving cars in a decade is going to be pretty much the same companies who are making regular cars now. These companies are just battling to get their tech into the car right? Even Telsa is learning the hard way about the kind of logistics it takes to succeed which many of the car companies have a century head start on.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Current Manufactures...

I'd assume it is not the tech side of things but the branding. The tech is doable by anyone with the skill set, though might need retooling (see designing a fluid clutch for a sports car https://youtu.be/glf_k4qGBAA the exiting industry cannot do it due to momentum, but newcomers can).

However the sales are down to marketing and consumer opinion. When you have 100s of years of branding this is where it is at. Here in the UK (why did I bother posting anon?) we have seen countless century or older brand bought out only for the label. Millions of consumers still buy the brand, but nothing except the colour of the sticker on the box is the same, yet they dare not "change brand" for fear it will "be lesser quality". Little do they know, both come out the same factory!

Same for the self driving cars, the winners will be those who get the marketing, tech and production right, but not necessarily those who have those things now.

1. asdf

I think you vastly underestimate the barrier to entry in making the second most expensive thing most people own. I think its a heck of lot easier for the car companies to buy the tech like they do for many other things even if they can't get their own attempts to work than it would for say Google or Intel to start making cars themselves profitably. Not an expert on the car industry so not sure if there is a foundry concept but can't see the big boys letting the tech companies muscle in on their turf without a fight. They will co brand sure (they already do) but Apple may well have to buy a car maker if they want Apple cars (also a real possibility I guess).

1. asdf

Yep just as I assumed - https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/apple-car/ - Making a car at scale profitably is not trivial and tends to have a pretty long lead time which isn't really Silicon Valley's strong point.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

My error. Yes, the car companies can or will just buy the tech after the fact. I don't though see them as the only ones who could invent or develop it.

1. asdf

I can buy that. Will readily agree just as SV sucks at supporting a product for two decades or one that will take a decade to even go on the market car makers aren't exactly always nimble or disruptive to be disruptive either. Horses for courses and both will play their part.

2. Velv
      Paris Hilton

Re: Smoking Gun

Either way I appear to have over stocked on pop-corn expecting the fur to fly anyone want some ;->

Nah, so much shenanigans going on that you’re to find something else entertaining very soon

2. gotes

Aw

What am I going to do with all this popcorn now?

1. Mark 85

Re: Aw

Hang on to it as you'll probably need it for the next lawsuit/IT drama/etc.

1. shedied

Well, there's that ol' bog standard IBM vs SCO...(even the judge commented 'this has been going on like, what, fifteen years now')

2. usbac Silver badge

This is like watching a really good movie, that ends too soon without a satisfying ending.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

There is still Broadcom and Quallcom to provide perennial entertainment.

4. handleoclast
      Coat

Maybe you could swap it for tulip bulbs. Looks like the popcorn bubble has popped.

3. Mark 85

Settlement?

What, did Google get access to all of Uber's trips so they can advertise to Uber customers? Just seems a bit strange unless there's a lot of corporate secrets neither side wants revealed.

1. Daggerchild Silver badge
      Windows

Re: Settlement?

If the trial hinged on convincing a jury that Uber's hypersplunker couldn't possibly grovulate unless it saw Waymo's mergulator, the truth really doesn't matter.

I've been on a jury trial of 'peers'. I've watched them work together to force a problem to not be real so they could keep their ongoing reality clean and make the monster not exist in one easy move. Everybody* won!

*if you didn't you're wrong

1. shedied

So you and opposing views were subjected to 'peer pressure'?

1. The Nazz

A work colleague of mine, 15years+ who i'd trust with my life got called to jury duty and sat on a two week trial.And this is how he told it.

At the end, after the usual and much deliberation, there was a 9-3 verdict. Judge said he'd rather have a unanimous verdict but he would settle for a 10 - 2 verdict. One Juror immediately changed their vote so they could be home in time for tea.

Just a little, a teeny weeny, dent in the best justice in the world.....ever!!

4. Daggerchild Silver badge
    Pirate

Slow clap

Google continue to suck at understanding humanity.

Being an inventor also continues to suck. If even Google can't nail people taking their stuff, what chance does anyone else have?

There's going to be a lot of companies out there studying Uber's self-incinerating skunkworks design. It obviously works, and saves millions, maybe even billions in R&D.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Opensource?

The only things left to invent then are things that change how people can benefit themselves. Give it out freely, and be happy they can be happy?

It seems a lot of work to invent a self driving car, stress and engineering, maths and testing. When you can just hire a chauffeur/taxi and be done with it.

I'd not want to be the "inventor" of Facebook and the like at this point.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Opensource?

"The only things left to invent then are things that change how people can benefit themselves. Give it out freely, and be happy they can be happy?"

Spoken like someone who is able-bodied.

5. shedied

There is that ongoing saga called IBM vs SCO; even the judge commented, 'This has been going on for fifteen years now,hasn't it'

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like