back to article DMCA architect lambasts music moguls

Bruce Lehman, key architect of the controversial Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), has admitted that copyright protection law is failing. The Clinton-era assistant secretary of commerce and commissioner of patents and trademarks put most of the blame for the DMCA's shortcomings on the recording industry. He said music …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mark Cheverton

Unencrypted?

Films on TV and VHS are not encrypted. I don't think the film industry is any better prepared just because of some weak protection on DVDs.

2. Tom Watson

Yes, movies are encrypted

Yes, the movies on DVD are "encrypted". It doesn't matter to what degree (it could be a really simple method), the DCMA says that breaking the encryption (no matter how insignificant) is a big No No (with penalties!).

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ludicrous Situation

You can't buy MP3s for your MP3 player from any major record. The record companies scratch their heads, "Why oh Why are we failing to sell into this MP3 market? With our non-MP3 product? What could possibly be wrong????!!".

You can buy tracks for Zune, so customers who've bought a Zune (both of them) can buy tunes, well rent tunes anyway. They lose the tunes if they stop paying the monthly fee.

4. Chris Adams

Good thing those movies are encrypted!

Because I've never seen a movie available on bittorrent, no sir. It's all unencrypted music all the time there on digital skull rock, Arrr, me hearties!

You don't need to "circumvent" the encryption on a movie - my DVD player's region encoding already does that for me. You shouldn't be made to walk the plank just because you choose to send the signal to a device the MPAA didn't think of.

This topic is closed for new posts.