back to article Google's cell network Project Fi charged me for using Wi-Fi – lawsuit

Google's mobile telecom service Project Fi is billing customers for internet data delivered over home and public Wi-Fi networks, according to a lawsuit filed in the US on Monday. The claim, submitted to a San Jose district court in northern California, alleged that Google is charging Project Fi subscribers for data it doesn't …

1. FelixReg

Looks like I'll soon be seeing a RED BANNER when using cell data

First question would be, "How many users think they have been charged for WIFI?"

Second question would be, "How many users think they are using WIFI, when, in fact, they were using cell data?"

Subtract answer #2 from #1 before paying lawyers to class-action themselves to a paycheck.

1. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
      Boffin

Re: Looks like I'll soon be seeing a RED BANNER when using cell data

According to the article:

Google's Project Fi stated explicitly that customers "are not charged for the data [they] use when connected to open or home Wi-Fi."

So it doesn't matter whether you're using the Wi-Fi, or just connected to it, they shouldn't be charging for that data. Think Apple's Wi-Fi boost where it uses both cellular and wifi simultaneously - according to the sentence above that usage should be free.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I think what he was saying is a case I had. At home connected to WiFi and all is good.

What I failed to notice is the Wifi wasn't actually working so all my traffic was going through the "cell" network.

As my 4G is actually faster than my home connection, I never really noticed it, until I hit my data cap.

1. Baldrickk

And that is why the first thing I did was to turn that feature off when I unboxed my new phone a year ago - and on the old one too, when it came in an update (yes, an Android update delivered by the carrier!)

I prefer to have control over which service I am using, especially when one has no limits, but is positionally restricted (home broadband) and the other can be used anywhere but has usage limits, I obviously don't want to be using the 4G connection at home, despite the mast being across the street, and delivering comparable connection bandwidth.

2. Mage Silver badge
    Pirate

Double Charging?

If you have a WiFi hotspot fed by a separate Mobile contract (maybe even the person you are visiting), will Google charge that to your Google account?

Somehow though I'm not surprised.

3. a_aramini

Easy enough to test. Disable mobile data when connected to wifi. If still being charged then shame on Google. If not being charged, shame on you. It's always wise to disable mobile data when using wifi, especially if one does not have an unlimited plan.

1. jelabarre59

No-G

Now that I'm having to use a "smart"phone, I have shut off "mobile data" as a matter of practice. I'll switch it on if I specifically need it, but the vast majority of the time it's disabled. I'll only be syncing data on home and family wifi networks anyway.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Isn't it a bit quick for a law suit, even by US standards?

Has Google refused to refund? It seems a plausible circumstance for an app to measure data incorrectly. Have Google refused to prove their App is considering the correct counters?

How far back in time can people check they were using the network they thought they were on? as stated in earlier comments, people can, and do, use the cellular networks over wifi without checking, particularly if your cellular data is relatively fast and reliable. Some phones I am sure will try to multiplex data from different networks... I C U Apple...

I feel certain that such a basic issue would be flagged up by more people though, there don't seem to be too many similar complaints around...

I note the complaint says he downloads 6-11Gb month on his phone - I assume he is either an avid movie watcher or using his device as a hotspot. It seems rather a lot to me!

5. jms222

I find my Samsung often switching to mobile data when I'm at home for no good reason.

1. a_aramini

Turn off the Smart Network Switch feature under Settings > WiFi > Advanced. That feature will cause the device switch to mobile data if it cant connect to wifi. Or, just disable mobile data when at home.

6. Michael Habel

Is it sooo hard...

To turn the bleeding Mobile MODEM off once you get home? So as to be absolutely sure your NOT accidentally dipping into you otherwise limited Data. That you idealy want to have access to when your away from home?

I'm also sure this will also go a long way to saving some juice on the Battery, since the MODEM doesn't constantly need to keep pinging the next Tower over.

Basic rule of thumb I only have the Mobile MODEM turned on when I need it, and otherwise off while I'm at work.

1. Claptrap314 Silver badge

Re: Is it sooo hard...

Yes. For an awful lot of people it is. My wife comes home from shopping. She's carrying so many bags that she has trouble getting through the door. Some of the stuff needs to be put in the fridge. She needs to get supper going. Why the **** should she have to pull her cell phone out & turn off cell data? There should be a simple policy setting.

We've blown through our monthly data cap in 4 days. In no small part because of this sort of thing.

1. Michael Habel

Who said to do it right away? Obviously put the Groceries away first. It's not like she's gonna be reading anything here during that interval much less anywhere else. But, when the Groceries have all been tucked up all safe, and snug. And SWMBO goes to plant herself on the Couch, for a light spot of Amazon shopping. Probably could use the time more wisely to yank the shade down and tap the Mobile Connection to off first.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. MrZoolook

"Why the **** should she have to pull her cell phone out & turn off cell data?"

Pointing out the obvious... so that she doesn't use cellphone data when she's as home.

Have some personal fucking responsibility, or are you OK with being pigeonholed with the same kind of idiots who run lawnmowers over their kids, then sue the manufacturer because the handbook didn't specifically tell them not run the mower over their child?

1. Claptrap314 Silver badge

The **** companies know EXACTLY where that phone is at all times. It would be easy to geofence our house & turn mobile off when she gets home unless it takes more than 2 minutes to connect to the (two) wifi networks we have. This can & should be handled at that level. They constantly talk convenience. Well, let's have some!

I don't have a mobile big brother. If I did, I would make a habit of doing the switch when I get home. But it would anger me every time, because as a software engineer, I know how little effort would be involved in providing a feature that would save average users millions of dollars a year.

2. jms222

"turn the bleeding Mobile MODEM off"...."pinging the next tower"

Yes I do sometimes turn mobile data off if I want to watch a video or something but would normally do such things on the tablet.

Actually the modulator-demodulator** is part of the kit that attaches you to the mobile network and no you don't turn that off except in aeroplane mode. So if you want to be able to say make and receive calls the tower stuff continues.

** We're a long way from when a modem was simply a frequency/phase/amplitude shift thing but still have the word

3. jelabarre59

I would like to see a feature where you would leave mobile data disabled, but could do a "temporary activate" for some set amount of time (perhaps a slider for 5min-30min), after which the phone/device would automatically shut mobile data off.

Of course, I could see the rip-off cellular companies being very much in opposition to that (for the obvious reasons)

7. F. Svenson

An actual Fi subscriber here...

I'm a Fi subscriber, and I know from metrics gathered by my router that I am not being charged for data received over wifi. Last month I was billed for 1.35GB, and used 22.75GB over wifi.

Now, by no means am I saying that Fi is perfect, but this problem certainly is not universal. Also, using an Android One Motox4, I can tell you that mobile data is disabled by default when connected to wifi.

1. mjflory

Re: An actual Fi subscriber here...

That agrees with my experience. With just a few days left in my billing cycle Settings tells me I've used 1.7GB on wifi and only 91MB cellular data, which sound plausible, so it's not happening to all subscribers. (Nexus 6, Android 7.1.1)

2. mjflory

Re: An actual Fi subscriber here...

Should have noted that my Fi bill agrees with those figures.

8. Lo1357933

I don't think this is justified . There was a problem maybe a year ago with project fi charging data while on WiFi and once it was recognized by project fi they reimbursed every one of their customers. Project fi is an honest company. Whenever I call them with issues they reimburse me or credit me at least a gigabyte.

9. Lo1357933

Fi wifi

Project fi is an honest company and if there's any discrepancies with your bill they will credit you. There was a issue about a year ago with data being charged over WiFi. Once it was acknowledged by project fi they sent out a mass email to all its customers and credit it every customer. This lawsuit is unjustified.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like