back to article You've only gone and committed to becoming cloud native

The IT department's transition from being an on-premises owner and manager of an IT equipment stack which provisions and plans data compute, storage and networking to being a responsive services provider is a 2018 priority for many. Yet it is a bold step to migrate data management to the cloud in a way that delivers the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steve K
    WTF?

Cloud Native Foundation is a neutral organisation

Cloud Native Foundation is a neutral organisation

Neutral about what though, with a name like that?

1. monty75

Re: Cloud Native Foundation is a neutral organisation

" I have no strong feelings one way or the other. "

2. Lysenko

Not a single vested interest or self fulfilling prophecy in sight. With this sort of rigorous objectivity and independence, I don't know about you, but I'm completely sold!! GDPR be damned. They'll never find me in my secret S3 bucket lair!!

3. Phryday

I think it means they have Ph of 7

4. Dan 55 Silver badge

It's like the egg marketing board saying their independent advice is you should go to work on an egg.

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

St Antony's Temptations Realised and Sated Remotely .... Info@URSevice

The IT department's transition from being an on-premises owner and manager of an IT equipment stack which provisions and plans data compute, storage and networking to being a responsive services provider is a 2018 priority for many.

Is it a Prime Directive Priority for the Register here?

SMARTR IntelAIgents would Know and Share for Sublime Virtualised Transubstantiations ..... with Heavenly Presence Presentations.

Real RAW Source Code to XSSXXXX and Beyond. How far are You travelled on that Root Route? AIMaster Pilot Commander with NEUKlearer HyperRadioProACTive IT Control Panels.For FailSafe Use against Abuse and Misuse.

An Almighty Weapon of Mass Destruction, in the Hands, Hearts and Minds of the Almighty.

Adam Recognising and Worshipping Eve on Her Journeys has Alien AIdVentures for ManKind ..... Heavenly Missions.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What to do next?

Change your career perhaps?

All your jobs are going away in 3-5 years so why bother?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What to do next?

> All your jobs are going away in 3-5 years so why bother?

If you think your job is just racking servers and cabling them up, then yes it's going the way of the coal miners.

However, the value is putting the pieces together to deliver what the business needs. If that's writing apps which run in cloud containers rather than running on in-house tin, it's still writing apps. If that's backing up data from one cloud to another, rather than backing up from local storage to tape, it's still backing up.

Even supposedly "off-the-shelf" SaaS apps like Salesforce need a ton of customisation to make them useful. They are essentially frameworks on which business applications are built. And there are upgrades, and data migrations, and platform migrations.

The need to apply IT intelligently to business problems isn't going away. The need to install hardware and patch the OS weekly probably is. That's a good thing.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: What to do next?

Can you really claim that just after Spectre and Meltdown rendering cloud pretty pointless as you can't share hosting with anyone else? You can pay more to have the entire server to yourself, but if you do that you might as well stick with your own data centre.

In a few years new CPUs will come out which address Spectre and Meltdown (probably available as an option for a premium cost), but then again GDPR will be up and running and will have hopefully focused minds on privacy and data protection. If it's in your basement it's much more difficult to be accused of losing control of your data.

4. Wicksee

What a load of...

Rubbish.

Give it 5-10 years and it'll all be coming back on-prem.

This is just the latest fad just like outsourcing was.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

2 years tops

Brexit means British Data in British Data Centres with British Operators dusting the racks with chamois leathers while shoeless British urchins cable the new British built computers as the Data Centre manager lights up a pipe in his control shed.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Ker-ching!

I'm getting ahead of the IOT curve by working for a stealth-mode startup on the Internet of Other Things (IOOT). Get in! This is going to moon!

6. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Where do you start?"

With a letter of resignation.

This topic is closed for new posts.