back to article Epic spacewalk, epic FAIL: Cosmonauts point new antenna in the wrong direction

A record-breaking spacewalk conducted over the weekend ended with an antenna pointed in the wrong direction on the International Space Station (ISS). The walk by Roscosmos' Alexander Misurkin (commander of Expedition 54) and flight engineer Anton Shkaplerov was scheduled to last 6.5 hours, but blew out to a Russian record of …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Apple comments:

Obviously he was holding it wrong.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

the cosmonauts gave it a shove in the direction of Earth, in the expectation it will burn up in the planet's atmosphere

Actually they throw if antispinwards of the ISS, which is sane:

"East (spinward) takes you out, out takes you west, west (antispinward) takes you in, in takes you east, port and starboard bring you back."

I don't know whether that little push was enough to make the package drop sufficiently low. Maybe one should have crossbow catapults.

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Deorbit throw

I was curious, so I looked up the equations. First: a handy graph of ISS altitude with time. The 400km altitude for ISS is only valid after an orbit raising burn. Just before each burn, the altitude can be 330km. An object needs to be in a circular orbit with an altitude of 160km to go round the Earth once. A tennis serve is sufficient to go from 400km circular to 400-160km elliptical. A fast bowler has enough delta-v to put a cricket ball into a 330-160km orbit from 330km circular. Just letting something float away so it misses the next orbit raising burn means it burn up in about a year.

Ignoring air resistance, a gentle throw antispinward will drop perigee by 50km and mean an object does one less orbit than the ISS in about a month. That should be plenty of time for air resistance to drop apogee well below the ISS.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Deorbit throw

"A fast bowler has enough delta-v to put a cricket ball into a 330-160km orbit from 330km circular."

The slipper run-up would be a bit of a problem.

1. lglethal Silver badge
          Joke

"A fast bowler has enough delta-v to put a cricket ball into a 330-160km orbit from 330km circular."

I would not want to be the Keeper in that game...

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"The slipper run-up would be a bit of a problem."

Dammit! Slippery.

2. phuzz Silver badge

Looking at the video and calculating guessing wildly, that hunk of electronics looked to probably mass something around 1-5kg, and I'm guessing they gave it 1m/s of dV.

It did look like the cosmonaut was waiting until a certain time to 'launch' it, so I suspect they waited until apogee and sent it retrograde in order to drop it's perigee as much as possible.

3. Annihilator
        Boffin

"Ignoring air resistance, a gentle throw antispinward will drop perigee by 50km and mean an object does one less orbit than the ISS in about a month"

And it has the happy side effect of boosting the orbit of the ISS by a teeny tiny fraction.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The tiny delta-v added would not significantly alter its orbit, and it will be returning to the immediate area after about 90 minutes. That's how it works. Eventually its orbital characteristics will diverge enough to send it 'away,' but it will still be in a nice stable orbit for quite a while.

3. vir

Crossbow Catapults

Or those little jet-pod things.

3. Blofeld's Cat
    Coat

Hmm ...

If it's an "AE-35" unit, then there may be trouble ahead ...

1. Dodgy Geezer Silver badge

Re: Hmm ...

They could try putting it back, and waiting until they get a reliable fsilure.

That's what I would recomend...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: then there may be trouble ahead ...

... but while there's moonlight and ...

3. BugabooSue

Damn!!

Beat me to it!! :)

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Damn!!

In Space no-one can hear you scream

4. FozzyBear
    Facepalm

Whoopsy,

Remember next time point it at the big blue ball thingy a.k.a Earth

5. Mark 85

Murphy's Law strikes again....

See title. I think almost everyone has been hit by this at one time or another but maybe not as spectacularly.

1. David Given

Re: Murphy's Law strikes again....

Unfortunately...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW_ERnIa6fE

(that's video of the Proton-M launch failure caused by installing the inertial guidance sensors backwards)

6. Gene Cash Silver badge
    Unhappy

Actually, it doesn't really matter

If it extends to the left or to the right, it's all the same. As long as it's not still retracted, it works.

Really kind of sad though, that something so trivial is what you hooked on.

7. jake Silver badge

Damn litterbugs.

Can't escape the scum, even in LEO ...

8. gekko

Direction does matter.

If the antenna is high-gain, as the article says, it is basically uni-directional. If it is not aimed at the Earth as it is supposed to be, it will not function well at all. I think NASA just didn't want to make the cosmonauts look stupid.

1. Jonathon Green

Re: Direction does matter.

Depends.

Some nominally highly directional, high gain antennas show a decent back lobe in the gain plot so (while it’s clearly far from optimal) they might just get away with it...

9. unwarranted triumphalism

It's great to see taxpayers' mony being spent wisely.

1. Kane
      Joke

"It's great to see taxpayers' mony money being spent wisely."

Ahh, you mean like education and literacy and spelling and stuff?

2. Bronek Kozicki

I think Russians are used to seeing worse, with all these oligarchs ...

(sadly, not a joke)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Bronek - Sadly

Russia is not the only country having oligarchs but nobody seem to remark... And this is not a joke.

10. fedoraman
    Go

That was the *easy* part. The tricky bit ... getting the computer to open the pod bay doors to let you back in.

1. Rich 11

"Alexa, open the pod bay doors."

"Sorry, I've lost the connection."

1. Farnet

Re: "Alexa, open the pod bay doors."

"Thank you Dave 10 boxes of Tide Pods have been orders"

11. brotherelf

That'll teach them…

… to use a USB connector for the antenna. At least us mere mortals only need to crawl under the desk for a bit of the old "pull it out and put it in the other way" to get things to work, no space suit needed.

12. Pat Harkin

I'm sorry Dave...

...but the replacement AE35 communications unit does not appear to be functioning. I cannot understand it.

13. iron Silver badge

How are they a super power?

http://i.imgur.com/Vg2MWwL.jpg

14. Antron Argaiv Silver badge
    Happy

Tinfoil?

Just wrap a couple of bits of tinfoil on it, should sort it.

That's why you put the antenna in the loft, not on the roof. Much easier to get to when it needs adjusting, and doesn't corrode.

15. Potemkine! Silver badge

Pigs indeed fly, in space

rather than hauling the old electronics unit back into the ISS, the cosmonauts gave it a shove in the direction of Earth,

What a jerk.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Pigs indeed fly, in space

gave it a shove in the direction of Earth,

Orbits don't work like that - it IS rocket science

16. lecson

Erm

You're all assuming it was a mistake to point it 180 degrees away from Earth.

Maybe there IS something out there they're not telling us about …

1. eldakka
      Black Helicopters

Re: Erm

> Maybe there IS something out there they're not telling us about …

Obviously the Russians know where Zuma is!

17. locojoe

Raise their orbit

They should have a device on the IIS to fire off rubbish to raise their orbit. Make some use of all the items not needed and anything ejected would burn up faster as well as it's orbit would drop into the atmosphere faster.

1. Tempest8008
      Mushroom

Re: Raise their orbit

A rail-gun pointed at the Earth...I can see all of the involved parties having issues with that.

2. imanidiot Silver badge
      Joke

But how do you stop the ISS inhabitants from loading anything and everything into the gun just to see what happens?

"Come on Ivan, you've had your fun. It's my turn to shoot a bag of excrement at Washington!"

1. Rob Daglish
        Joke

I was under the impression the bag of excrement made it to Washington, and was made President as a reward?

18. ecofeco Silver badge

Pointed antenna in wrong direction?

But did they really?

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pointing antenna

I see the problem: you're supposed to move the antenna while yelling to someone inside for a signal report. The person inside yells back through the open window. I'm guessing they forgot to open the ISS window.

20. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Simple solution...

Just flip the ISS over.

21. Terje

I thought it was one of the big no nos of spacewalks was to intentionally lose stuff, yes it will deorbit relatively fast, but given a bit of bad luck it is supposedly possible to have a nasty encounter with the gently floating away object at several kilometers per second a month or so later (can't remember the particulars for that though so take it with about .75 kg of salt).

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Spanners Silver badge
        Pirate

It's like dropping a brick out of your car window at 70MPH - it is unlikely to hit YOUR windscreen.

I just visualised my little brothers Hot Wheels set. It would if you were doing one of those loops at the time!

22. Kingbob

Havent they watched Wall-E or Gravity? Just attach a fire extinguisher to it!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like