back to article MacBook range revamp snippets slip out

Apple fans anticipating a cheap MacBook may be disappointed by the company's notebook launch tonight: possible part-number and price data suggest they won't get one. In the run up to tonight's unveiling, the rumour mill has been spinning with stomach unsettling speed. The key items flying off are a set of part numbers and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Halo

@ Greg

While no fanboi, I do prefer apple, for mostly sensible reasons...so your insight still made me have a good snigger - the rabid worshippers give the rest of us a bad name.

Anon, 'cos Big Bruv is watching.

3. Anton Ivanov
    Jobs Horns

$899 monitor basic?

I now understand why Apple still exists... Steve Jobbs reality distortion field should be really powerful to bend this number into the BASIC range...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Photo of laptop...

Going by the quality, must of been taken with an iPhone.....

5. Dr. Funk.

yawn

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

6. richard
    IT Angle

eh?

why would you want to slide your laptop into your monitor? eh? so you'd have to buy another keyboard and mouse? and it would be a heavy monitor then? eh?

unless they bring out a sub notebook that blasts the millions of others, then its going to be nothing more than some laptop updates...move on people...

7. Law
    Thumb Up

@Greg

"Wow! A mouse! Oh my God, he's going to put the mouse on the ta- HE PUT THE MOUSE ON THE TABLE! Oh my God, I can't believe it NOW HE'S SELECTING SOMETHING!!!!!"

First laugh of the day... I salute you sir! :)

If they do a monitor dock, I hope it works with previous macbook pro's, and has rollers or something like that so it means you don't scratch the hell out of the notebook case pushing it into the thing... having said that, it's going to end up costing over a grand anyway I bet, so for that reason, I'm out.

8. jai
    Jobs Halo

trackpad buttons

glad to see we're finally getting rid of mouse buttons - i always wondered why the laptops continued to include one when the desktops did away with them ages ago

9. Thomas

@Greg

I think we quite probably will. Maybe the Mac rumourmill spy cam gang could better serve society by secretly videoing the audience throughout Jobs' little speeches, as I don't imagine the audible version of their reactions that we do get does them justice?

Steve Jobs: the technology industry's answer to Sarah Palin? Discuss.

(disclaimer: my machine of choice is a Mac, running the Mac OS, but I strongly dislike Apple's peculiarly cultish corporate culture)

10. Ted Treen
    Jobs Halo

@Greg

For even more hilarity, and even more misplaced enthusiasm old chap, might I refer you to the numerous videos of one Mr Ballmer showing his almost carnal lusting for Microsoft?

11. Chippy-Minton

compact please

shame, instead of Apple wasting our time with froth like the Air, they really need to launch something in the eee style of ultraportable but better usability, principally the keyboard. Perhaps not unlike the HP mininote (or Apple's compact wireless keyboard with a screen). A lot of people still mourn the passing of the 12" powerboook.

Of course they'd need some unique angle to sell it - perhaps the first dual-core atom web-book - in order to feed the ludicrous "it's much more than a PC" propaganda machine.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Hmmm

Looks as if Apple believes that this Global financial meltdown wont affect its sales, consequently the usual high prices for at best mediocre to goo hardware.

Efros

Paris cos she knows what to do with an apple

13. Ewen Bruce
    Gates Horns

Low end missing?

Before all the 10 year olds start their silly mac-love mac-hate bollocks (too late already I see), I'd just like to say It'll be a shame if there is no low end relatively cheap macbook; not an EEEPC competitor, but something in the range that would compete with the low end HP / DELL kit while offering the non-windoze experience. I know Stevie says he 'doesn't do cheap', but he could surely try it just this once- get the casual purchaser hooked then sell them something dearer next time. C'mon Steve; you know it makes sense.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well...

If this is true, then it's pretrty much a refresh and not much of an upgrade. The black-bordered MBPro screen and black keys look really nice though and line it up with the best-looking gadgets out there; plus the biggest plus of all being the combination of bespoke device and bespoke OS..

If the Screen-docker is real, it would be good - i wonder if they would make two - to dock a MacBook or a MacBook air?

time will tell - i can't wait myself :D

15. Kenny Millar

Quite right

The worship of Job, and all things Apple is quite humorous.

Having said THAT, I will not go back to using windows, until they have something superior to what I have now, or some 'must have' feature which I just can't get.

Please don't mouth off about Apple and OS-X until you've actually tried them.

16. Kenny Millar

Or as the Open University would say.....

Spokesperson 1: Yes please take these part numbers and prices at face value. You don't need to understand, just answer the freaking question.

Spokesperson 2: Haha, well spotted for noticing our deliberate mistake. Your answer was totally correct and has scored, 0% out of a possible 100%.

Spokesperson 3: Spokesperson 2 was correct, we do sell oranges.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

free speech if you deserve it.

@ Greg,

No more coffee for you until you learn to use your free speech right with a little more tact. You obviously have issues. Talk to your therapist about them.

18. Richard

@Greg

I think this is more of an American "show your emotions" kind of thing, not specific to Mac "fans" ... just look at some of Microsoft's developer conference videos! "We have Word" (yeah yeah yeah) "We have SQL Server" (woohoo yeah baby!)

We are more reserved in the UK 8-)

19. Colin MacLean
    Jobs Halo

Wibble

Going by previous Apple announcements, the hype/rumours usually outstrip the reality by a large amount. Now's probably a good time to sell your Apple shares (if they haven't already bought the farm).

I'm actually quite looking forward to this increment as my good old 12" Powerbook is coming up for 6 years of service. It runs Leopard okay-ishly, but the internal fan is never off and sounds like Jimmy Saville running an uphill marathon.

20. Phil Thomas

Aha

That would explain the tech guys comments yesterday when I called Apple Support. Chatting away while waiting for HD to repair permissions and mentioned how much the wife loves her new macbook pro and he went hmm, i think we've gone too far with the touchpad this time.

21. darkmooink
    Jobs Horns

apple p me off

why do people get so excited about new apple products? i mean when was the last time people got excited over the new Nokia, dell or Zen?

ill tell you why, its because they have a monopoly over apple products. if you want to use osx then you MUST use a mac and only use apple approved software on it. if you want apple hardware (usually "cos it looks cool") you can only use it with other apple hardware (exclusion of ipod and iphone) and only with apple software.

so you can have a small selection of mac's for fixed prices from a limited ammount of retailers.

or

you can have a pc with a large selection of hardware, os's and software that greatly range in price, from thousands of different retailers and actually have a choice

22. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

@darkmooink

"if you want apple hardware (usually "cos it looks cool") you can only use it with other apple hardware (exclusion of ipod and iphone) and only with apple software."

What hardware is that? Mouses work with other PCs, keyboards work with other PCs - I cant actually think of one bit of apple hardware that only works with other hardware of software - care to explain?

"if you want to use osx then you MUST use a mac and only use apple approved software on it."

Yes and no. You can run OS X on most x86 based computers now - you just need to know how do. Although it may not be legal* - it IS possible. Heck, I do it on a £99 Dell, works just fine and I have no intention of paying for a Mac Pro* (but I do own a 'proper' macbook pro for portable use).

M

23. N

No fanboi but

@ AC "I do prefer apple, for mostly sensible reasons..."

you can add my sanity to that!

@ Greg - made me laugh, so you are not exactly straining at the temple gates for the front seats to receive such blessings, along with random showers of Jobs DNA?

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@darkmooink

I'm curious to know what's on the list of 'Apple approved software'.

Perhaps you could point me to it?

And regarding why people get excited about new Apple kit. Well, that's easy. It's usually light years ahead of the competition in design, features and usability (not something you could say about Dell, as you correctly point out).

25. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Here we go again

I'm not going to feed the trolls. Simply going to say some of you lot need prozac... Immediately, and in large doses.

/Mine's the one with the windoze fanboi repellent in the pocket.

26. Law
    Flame

@ darkmooink

Are you joking?? Please tell me you are joking. Apple can be a pain in the arse, but they don't stop you from putting none apple approved hardware/software on the systems... first thing I did with my macbook pro was replace the ram in the system with 4gb of low latency stuff from a 3rd party manufacturer. My headphones are zenhiesser (or however you spell it), my bluetooth mouse is Logitech, my timemachine device is a generic 2.5inch USB2 disk caddy, I use several none apple products in osx too. I also dual boot windows/ubuntu too.

Stop making shit up, if you haven't ever used one, don't spout crap about it. You are as bad as the apple fanatics who think Apple can do no wrong and believe every bit of hype apple whip up about their products. I didn't buy a macbook pro because it was "pretty", it had the smallest form factor of a high end intel system I could find... my only other option at the time was an Alienware system for about the same price, and they have more issues with support and hardware faults, plus it weighed a ton - oh, and its top end features were only enabled in Vista, which sucked..

I boycotted Apple up until I got this laptop, and that's all I've bought - I've traditionally built my own PC's, and generally don't have any loyalties to any brands, except maybe Creative & Logitech... I seem to buy their speakers, mp3 players and mice exclusively. Not all Apple owners are fanatics.

Go and hang out with Webster... I'm sure you guys have alot to talk about!!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like