back to article New York lobs $210m at telcos to hook up 120k homes, businesses with bumpkin broadband

The US state of New York has unveiled a massive new project to provide broadband for virtually all of its residents. Governor Andrew Cuomo said this week the project, known as New NY Broadband Round III, will enlist 43 telcos that will set up satellite broadband coverage in the most remote parts of the state. Said telcos will …

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    FAIL

"At Verizon, we don't wait for the future, we build it,"

As long as someone pays us to up front.

What arrant bu***hit.

Is anyone thinking the big difference is competition versus no competition?

Something to keep in mind, perhaps?

1. Lamb0
      Pirate

Re: "At Verizon, we don't wait for the future, we build it,"

Low hanging fruit.

Notice how Verizon slurps one third of the money for one eighth of the customers!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "At Verizon, we don't wait for the future, we build it,"

But it was pretty cool to have the spokeswoman for the evil leeches called Leecia Eve? Somebody's got a great sense of humour, and not just the woman's parents.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"Cuomo did not say when the build-out will be completed"

Of course not. No promises before getting the money. Then there will be excuses and "unforeseen complications". The fact is simply that Verizon is coming aboard because the competition is getting a slice of new pie and Verizon cannot let than happen without moving in.

The fact that there's pork at hand might not even be the major factor in Verizon's sudden new interest, although it certainly sweetens the deal.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Should have used fixed wireless

Satellite internet is going to be obsolete in a few years once the fixed LTE and later fixed 5G broadband networks are built out. I presume there aren't any areas of NY state without cell service?

1. Milo Tsukroff

Re: Should have used fixed wireless

> I presume there aren't any areas of NY state without cell service?

Plenty of areas lack cell service, the Catskills and Adirondacks especially. Makes hiking potentially dangerous. I always sign the trail register because even at the trailhead, there is often no cell service.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

25M service for 15,515 subscribers

Even at a 100:1 contention ratio they're going to need about 4Gbps of data capacity. How much satellite transponder bandwidth does that correspond to? And how much spare satellite capacity is currently available?

(I presume this is geostationary, i.e. they're not deploying moving dishes which track LEO satellites)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

At Canadian prices "$1,709 per building" would be paid for in a year or two, but I suspect Americans tend to pay much less for Internet than Canadians. Makes me wonder what a fiber roll out would cost. Does New York state not have a fiber backbone that runs north to south? If it does you tap that to run to COs in these smaller areas and then maybe run fiber to the cabinet where DSL lengths start to get long.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We're still waiting for Verizon to...

...fulfill its commitment to deploy FiOS to all in New Jersey - a project years overdue and apparently abandoned after they got the favors they wanted from the State.

7. ZPO

Only 2 options for satellite internet

There are only two options for satellite internet in the US. Hughesnet and Excede. Unless these other ISPs intend to recreate all the space and ground infrastructure, they will be reselling services from one of those two.

Given the number of subscribers involved, I expect it will overload the Ka spot beam for that area on the HTS birds used by each provider.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like