back to article Equinix CEO bails after ‘poor judgment in employee matter’

Data centre operator Equinix is looking for a new CEO after the previous occupant of its big chair, Steve Smith, resigned “after exercising poor judgment with respect to an employee matter.” Equinix’s board accepted his resignation but has given no other reason for Smith’s departures. The company’s announcement stated that …

1. chivo243 Silver badge
    Holmes

In this day and age

It is probably related to harassment of a sort. I get the feeling, from the wording, (after exercising poor judgment with respect to an employee matter.) he didn't take someone's accusation against a third person seriously.

Just a shot in the dark?

1. Len

Re: In this day and age

Exactly my feeling. Someone reported (sexual?) misbehaviour by some high flying member of staff and the CEO tried to cover it up instead of acting upon it.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Didn't they buy Teleshitty a couple of years back? Maybe that merge didn't go very well and they're ousting him

1. Christopher Rogers

I'd be inclined to think that if they are letting him go because he did something offensive against another person and are making that news public knowledge, then thats what happened. That sort of thing wouldn't look good in a court room if it wasnt true, regardless of how the Telecity buyout went.

3. John G Imrie

I wonder what happened ...

at the Office Christmas Party.

Bring back the Barron Nights

♪ Oh didn't we have a lovely time ...

4. HmmmYes

When's the busty female intern's baby due?

Or ....

When does the fraud case reach court?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Anyone know a good divorce lawyer?

5. Neil Spellings

"No, I really do have to replace this cable under your desk to fix a packet loss issue"

6. adam payne

Steve Smith, resigned “after exercising poor judgment with respect to an employee matter.”

Sounds like he misbehaved while in the office.

Does his wife know?

1. Jim Mitchell
      IT Angle

That depends, does she read El Reg?

2. James O'Shea

She does now...

7. James O'Shea

Hmmm...

I wonder... boy(s), girl(s) or both?

8. bigtimehustler

This article is actually an example of what is currently wrong with this movement. Not every employment issue transgression is a sexual one, no matter how salacious an article you want to write, neither is every hint or suggestion something has happened actually true, unless i see them in court.

1. Gordon 10
      FAIL

Err reality check dude. This story would have appeared on the Register regardless of the #metoo movement.

There is nothing in this story that suggests there is any connection.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> There is nothing in this story that suggests there is any connection.

Apart from the direct reference in the article.

2. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Could be a race, religion, disability, or homophobia thing, yes. It doesn't have to be sex.

Here's where I'm choosing not to say "Let's have a bet to make it interesting."

9. Cederic Silver badge

well done Equinix

They have no choice about announcing a change in CEO, but it's lovely to see them showing discretion. More companies should do this.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like