back to article You had one job, Outlook! Security bug fix stops mail app from forwarding attachments

Outlook will strip attachments from some forwarded emails once you've applied a security update from this month's Patch Tuesday, Microsoft has admitted. Once the buggy patch, released January 9, is installed, Outlook 2016 will drop attachments from forwarded plain-text messages. This affects the Microsoft Installer (MSI) …

1. XSV1

Ooo... a new feature!

Think of this as a new "feature".

2. veti Silver badge

They're not even trying any more, are they?

Dear Microsoft: you are not in the business of software development. By far the biggest and most important part of your work is maintenance of software that's been used for decades. So stop giving that work to your newest and most clueless developers.

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"file attachments were getting cut out of messages when forwarded to others"

GOOD.

Can we also have attachments stripped from Reply To All messages ?

This culture of resending everything with just a little FYI on top is seriously getting on my nerves.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "file attachments were getting cut out of messages when forwarded to others"

FYI: I agree

GOOD.

This culture of resending everything with just a little FYI on top is seriously getting on my nerves.

2. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Re: "file attachments were getting cut out of messages when forwarded to others"

Can we just remove the "Reply to all" feature please?

1. Ramlen

Can we just remove the "Reply to all" feature please?

can be done in group policy

1. Stuart Castle Silver badge

Removing the "Reply All" feature would cut a lot of the crap from my mailbox, Sadly, removing it's not an option as we do have a genuine need for it with certain email "threads".

3. Charlie Clark Silver badge

When I forward an e-mail I definitely want the attachments to be sent with it.

Top-replying is a far bigger problem.

1. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

"When I forward an e-mail I definitely want the attachments to be sent with it."

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Asking would be nice. Just stripping them could mean the end for millions of cute kitten videos.

1. Captain Scarlet

Just send to a blind carbon copy list, the reply all function is rendered useless then.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Just send to a blind carbon copy list

Oooh! Can I get this one?

"BCC" is not an abbreviation for "blind carbon copy", and "CC" is not an abbreviation for "carbon copy". Both were in use before carbon paper was invented, and the "CC" in both simply means "copies". This idiom of doubling an initial to indicate a plural can also be seen in e.g. "pp" for "pages", which used to be common in certain styles of scholarly attribution.

I think this will be my entry for Pointless Pedantry of the Week, but it's only Monday, so you never know.

1. Captain Scarlet

Not sure where list came from in my response (I meant send to contacts as a blind carbon copy), but as far as I am aware Bcc is an acronym in Lotus Notes and Outlook for blind carbon copy (MS Help certainly states this for Outlook).

as far as I am aware Bcc is an acronym in Lotus Notes and Outlook for blind carbon copy (MS Help certainly states this for Outlook)

The authors of the help text in Outlook are capable of being incorrect. They don't control the etymology of the words[1] they use. They're simply repeating a folk etymology.

[1] Yes, "Bcc" in this context is a word, in the technical, linguistic sense.

4. Dan 55 Silver badge

One codebase, they said

That'll be why we've had a few patches now where bugs affect one version of Office and not the other.

5. David Austin

Bad form

Think is the third major Outlook update cock up from the House of Microsoft in the last 12 months. Getting tired of their laissez-faire attitude to update quality, especially with what is arguably their crown jewel in the business market.

Can't help but draw a direct correlation between them shutting down the Trustworthy Computing unit, and updates getting less reliable. (https://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/09/19/ms_shutters_twc/)

As I Commented on that article: "OK, Microsoft - close the department, but don't you dare stop doing the work and ethos they promoted, or they'll be hell to pay."

Re: Bad form

they'll be hell to pay

there'll be hell ... oh, damn it, I've just split the vote on my Pointless Pedantry of the Week entries.

6. Triumphantape

Years ago, when I did tech support at a large chip manufacturer, we called it "Look Out".

1. Packet

I also recall it being called 'Outhouse'

Which does fit the bill rather well....

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Applying Microsoft patches, is like playing Russian roulette with an unknown number of bullets, and you can’t stop pulling the trigger.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I've always looked at it as playing Russian roulette with a semi-automatic -- with a round already in the chamber.

1. GBE

I've always looked at it as playing Russian roulette with a semi-automatic -- with a round already in the chamber.

And Microsoft made sure it's not a single-action...

8. TXITMAN

Microsoft is to email as Stalin was to human rights.

9. PeterM42

Ah!.......

....... yet another thoroughly NOT tested patch from MicroCRAP.

Aquamail on Android gives the option for forwarding attachments. If only Aquamail was available for Windoze......

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like