back to article Stripe in Bitcoin hype flight while fans blindly gobble up crypto-cash

Payment biz Stripe on Tuesday said it plans to phase out support for Bitcoin payments – citing declining interest among merchants and rising transactions times and fees. "[W]e've seen the desire from our customers to accept Bitcoin decrease," said Stripe product manager Tom Karlo. "And of the businesses that are accepting …

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Peak cryptocurrency

Looks like we're on the other side by now.

1. katrinab Silver badge

Re: Peak cryptocurrency

We reached peack cryptocurrency when bananacoin launched its ICO.

Yes, a currency for buying banaras, except you can’t actually buy bananas with them. They will somehow track the price of bananas, which tends not to go up that much.

1. BebopWeBop
        Devil

Re: Peak cryptocurrency

Just wait until some speculator decides to invest in the development and promotion of a peculiar little infection (http://edition.cnn.com/2015/07/22/africa/banana-panama-disease/)

2. inmypjs Silver badge

Soon be time

for the bigger fools to crystallise their losses.

Funny, I looked for a bitcoin exchange rate plot to see how it had been doing recently and a poll on the site side bar reads

"Which cryptocurrency would you use to send a transaction you did not want anyone to know anything about?"

Where 'anyone' obviously means the tax man and/or law enforcement. The utility of cyrptocurrencies for evading the law and taxes only goes so far.

3. garetht t

Make up your own job title

"said Paul Brody, EY global innovation blockchain leader"

How can anyone read that without throwing up in their mouth a little?

1. phuzz Silver badge

Re: Make up your own job title

Someone probably paid ¡Bong! Enterprises a lot of money to invent that job title.

4. Schultz

Bitcoin became an investment object...

But it has no property that would make it a sensible investment: there is no inherent value behind bitcoins and there is no business behind it that would create value & profit.

So what will happen once the value of a bitcoin falls below the electricity cost for mining one? Will the whole thing break down once the bit chain stops getting updated? It'll happen as soon as the investors get scared - a Bit Black Monday.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bitcoin became an investment object...

Much like precious metals then, or paper money.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

or Damien Hirst 'artworks', or turds.

2. Teiwaz

Much like precious metals then, or paper money.

Paper money has it's own ethos, but precious metals always had the Oooh, shiney. Me want timeless classic from QVC to wear on head when out clubbing (other neanderthals) for kingship and be buried with it....

3. phuzz Silver badge

Lots of precious metals are useful, for example, gold is a great for connectors because it's a good conductor and very unreactive.

Of course, the price of gold is based on more than it's utility.

4. Blank Reg

@AC

Except paper money isn't normally seen as in investment, sure you can make money trading currencies if you have enough capital, but it's not really and vehicle for investment.

Paper money is a store of value, an IOU. Just an easy way to transfer money from one person to another. Cryptocurrencies could serve a similar purpose, but then their valuations would be boringly stable, just like most currencies are, short of a national crisis.

But some people (idiots) think that cryptocurrencies are an investment and that the value should magically increase. I don't know what that belief is founded upon, because there is no reason for the value to increase as it has.

Scarcity of a non-existent item is not a rational reason for it to increase in value. The reason they have gone up is because people believe it will go up and they are afraid to miss out. This is same sort of mentality that leads to just about every market bubble, and they always pop eventually, sometimes catastrophically, remember Beanie Babies?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Think of those poor mugs who spent on billions on worthless mining kit

when the bitcoin price falls below the cost of it's production.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Looking at the comments on here I think i can safely assume Crypto-Currencies will thrive and are worth investing in.

I mean seriously, I thought people in IT were meant to be forward looking, all I see is people looking backwards and complaining things were better in the old days:

I've been following ElReg for a while and I've seen:

Virtualisation will never catch on

Outsourcing never works

Cloud is too insecure

And yet in the real world we live in today - all 3 are common place if not the norm

While not all Crypto-currencies are going to survive, some will and will be worth a lot more than they are today. Bitcoin isn't perfect as a currency, but as a store of value it has a lot going for it

They are discussing this stuff at Davos, its going to go main stream at some point.

7. channelswimmer

Re: Trade deals with the EU

> when the bitcoin price falls below the cost of it's production.

Actually what happens is that the miners choose what transactions go into the block that they are going to mine - there are IIRC up to 2.400 transactions per block. Crucially, each of those transactions can specify a reward (in BC) to go to the successful miner. So what will happen is that the transactions that go into the block are those that give enough reward to the miner to make it economic for them.

1. Ammaross Danan

Re: Trade deals with the EU

> when the bitcoin price falls below the cost of it's production.

Also, if people decide it's not economical to mine, they'll drop out of mining it and move to another coin (if they can). This will decrease the difficulty to mine (due to lower network hashrate) and raise rewards for those still in the game (since they'll solve more blocks due to lower difficulty). Eventually it will hit an equilibrium where it's still profitable to mine. It's the same with any proof-of-work crypto.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like