back to article UK competition watchdog: Fox's takeover of Sky 'not in public interest'

Fox's proposed £11.7bn take over of Sky has been deemed not to be in the public interest, the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) has provisionally ruled today. The regulator ruled against 21st Century Fox's bid to take control of the remaining 61 per cent of Sky due to media plurality concerns. It found that if the deal …

1. Tigra 07
    Thumb Up

A good decision

Murdoch belongs in a museum as a head in a jar. Next to Nixon, Blair and Zuckerberg...

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: A good decision

But what does the wrinkly one have on the current 'Culture Media and whatever' Minister? Well he have the balls to tell Old Wrinkly to go back to get stuffed?

Somehow I doubt it.

As for heads in a Jar, you have forgotten public enemy no 1 (according to the Trumpster), Hillary with her side kick Obama... They'd love to have them stuffed and used for target practice. {joking}

2. Fred Tourette

Let's don't forget Gates.

1. Tigra 07

Re: Fred

I have no beef with Bill Gates (Even as a Linux user). Bill Gates has done great things with his wealth and still does. Murdoch just hoards his cash for himself.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"I have no beef with Bill Gates" clearly you are too young/blinkered to know/care how he got the money in the first place.

If Torquemada gave to charity would that mean that his negative impact was signifcantly reduced?

Gates/Murdoch what's the difference? IMHO they both used offensive business practices to destroyed customer choice in order to control their markets utterly. Once they gained control they abused their positions to destroy competition and rewrite history so they were not recognised as the destroyers of choice.

1. phuzz Silver badge

"Once they gained control they abused their positions to destroy competition and rewrite history so they were not recognised as the destroyers of choice."

Where did Murdoch go wrong then? He's still disliked and basically always has been..

2. DuncanLarge Silver badge

"I have no beef with Bill Gates (Even as a Linux user)"

As a Linux user since 1996 I well remember the Haloween Documents. You should look them up sometime.

I also remember how the EU took MS to task several times. Also how MS managed to stifle freedom and competition in all UK schools by managing to make it practically impossible AND ILLEGAL for a UK school to operate any computer without windows on it.

1. Tigra 07

Re: Duncan

"As a Linux user since 1996 I well remember the Haloween Documents. You should look them up sometime."

Funny, i really expected that to be related to the "Embrace, Extend, Extinguish" strategy of theirs. It's not something i'd heard of before but it is something i expect from Microsoft of the 90s.

3. Champ

In a 100 years time Gates might be remembered as the guy who rid the world of polio. And possibly even malaria.

Murdoch and Jobs will be completely forgotten.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Murdoch and Jobs will be completely forgotten." you know you are right, I have never seen them both in the same room at the same time.

from wiki

"It (first polio vaccine ) was developed by Jonas Salk and came into use in 1955"

"The oral polio vaccine was developed by Albert Sabin and came into commercial use in 1961"

"The wholesale cost in the developing world is about US$0.25 per dose for the oral form as of 2014.[8] In the United States it costs between $25–50 for the inactivated form"

Who is making Bill's vaccine again? all those people who did the original work and Bill gets the credit, my thinking is that he and his supporters haven't changed at all.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>>>>> Murdoch belongs in a museum as a head in a jar. Next to Nixon, Blair and Zuckerberg...

Fuck that, turn his head into mulch and feed it to worms who you then feed to migrating birds to ensure he's spread far and wide and thus there's no possibility of him actually exhibiting the zombie capabilities he obviously possesses.

4. Pen-y-gors

That would be the jar labelled Abi Normal...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mickey Mouse?

Hasn't Disney bought Fox from the old Oz/Yank?

1. Vulch

Re: Mickey Mouse?

They've bought the feature film side and some of the TV production, not the news part.

1. SpammFreeEmail

---> They've bought the feature film side and some of the TV production, not the news part.

But Murdoch had sold Sky to Disney as part of the deal....

So in effect Disney would become the owners of Sky not Murdoch.

Anyway, he's laid up in hospital last I heard after his son unsuccessfully tried to drown him, they should have got the Maxwell boys in as they're real professionals in accidental patricide off boats allegedly.

2. my fingers stuck

at least with Disney we will get mickey mouse news instead of fake news

3. Aladdin Sane
    Trollface

Irony

There's only one Competition and Markets Authority.

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: Irony

Alanis, is that you?

1. Aladdin Sane
        Angel

Re: Irony

I am not God herself.

4. Dr_N

Maybe the reason behind the Disney deal?

The Dirty Digger got advanced warning and decided to throw his toys out the pram by binning his non-news side of the business?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Maybe the reason behind the Disney deal?

I thought the Disney deal was being considered as a sensible move for 21C Fox,

21C Fox were one of many mid-size companies in a consolidating market (particularly televisions), so getting in early while the content still has a premium value was a good option.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It'll go through they'll probably agree to let someone else run sky news for year.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Motivation For Purchasing Sky Entirely ???

Are these extremely rich people not content with their life ?

No. Which for the rest of us proles should be a great comfort, a form of natural justice, that the Lizard King will never have enough. And when he dies (which is well overdue), he'll go to his grave regretting that he didn't have more money, that he didn't get control of this company or that. It'll just be a shame that his revolting offspring won't be entombed with him when the time comes.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's simply down to him being evil and wanting more power. Once he has all this power he will try and achieve immortality as the evil prince of darkness. He also eats kittens.

1. Green Nigel 42

Would that in a Kitten Korma?

3. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Shadmeister,

Murdoch's company used to totally own Sky I think. But had to sell most of it in order to get money for other stuff. I think he's always been sad that he sold it, as that meant he wasn't getting all the lovely profits.

it's not made a huge difference in control, as Sky's second biggest shareholder is an ally, so there's often been a Murdoch (or Murdoch ally) at the top of Sky anyway.

I'd thought they were selling the Sky stake to Disney, and only keeping the Fox telly stuff, because Disney already own a TV network in the US - so couldn't have another one. So in the end I'd be surprised if they don't do a deal where he can buy Sky now - in order to pass it on to Disney - if certain conditions are met on Sky News.

1. Aladdin Sane

Murdoch's Sky Television plc and British Satellite Broadcasting merged in 1990 to form BSkyB, as they were both suffering losses.

1. JimboSmith Silver badge

I would highly recommend the book Dished by Suzanne Franks and Peter Chippindale ISBN 0671711237 which goes into this saga in some detail.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

If you want about 30 minutes of fun reading while imagining Murdochs pain read this....

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2014/03/wendi-deng-note-tony-blair

1. Youngone Silver badge

That is a good laugh.

For someone who (presumably) is not stupid, he is an idiot about women. He has been married 4 times apparently, and the latest one is Jerry Hall for goodness sake.

1. strum

>the latest one is Jerry Hall for goodness sake.

Goodness had nothing to do with it.

7. LewisRage

In the next 12 months...

... Anne Lambert will lose her job OR Matt Hancock MP (Culture Secretary) is revealed to have been shagging children/pigs/someone else' wife.

8. Chris G

These things

Often go through eventually after various promises regarding the running of the new joint venture, the whereabouts of a new offshore bank account and the location of a vacant villa in the sun. Oh and future boardroom appointments.

9. Valerion

Red Dwarf

On one of the recent episodes they came across a space station that had developed a cure for evil, and successfully cured Hitler, Stalin, Ghengis Khan, etc.

But they were unable to cure Rupert Murdoch. He was too evil.

10. Pen-y-gors

Public interest?

I suspect many people feel that the very existence of Fox and Sky (and, possibly, Disney) is not in the public interest.

11. Andy 97
    Mushroom

Dirty Digger has form.

In 1971 the ITA ruled him out of a takeover of London Weekend Television because of his news empire.

Digger was a "little disappointed" with this decision and has devoted his life to lambasting the British Establishment.

My understanding is that he used many words to describe the ITA which would make a lorry driver with haemorrhoids blush.

12. Dr_N

And Don't Forget...

Sky beamed into the UK illegally for many years without a licence and the Dirty Digger was never done for his illegal cross-media subsidising either.

Good to see all his machinations come to nought.

End of Empire for his spawn. Boo hoo.

1. shaunhw

Re: And Don't Forget...

Dr_n wrote:

"Sky beamed into the UK illegally"

Actually back then he didn't need a licence, as he was on a communications satellite, as Astra was deemed to be back then. The licence requirement came later about the time of the BSB/SKY merger when the ITC took the merger opportunity to get that imposed.

He initially broadcast "Sky Channel" from Eutelsat for cable companies to distribute which beyond the scope of home users to receive apart from wealthy enthusiasts because of the size of dish required etc.

I was livid about the merger as I had both BSB and Sky. The Sky broadcasts were awful, always noisy fizzy backgrounds, but the BSB ones were great for the time, being fed with RBG into my Scart connector. In hindsight neither of them were good to last very long as time has now shown.

In credit to Sky, they did develop arguably the best digital TV platform in the world. It just worked. No need to keep retuning or messing around as channels were added and taken away automatically, and the picture quality was good, though it worsened later, as more and more channels were added to the transponders. If only Freeview was so easy. Why isn't it I wonder ?

It worsened even more as they got so greedy with their "sky" high subscriptions and destroyed live football on public channels. In my opinion it was insidious. The sports subs just went up, and up little by little. I was never a major sports fan, but I feel the financial pain of those who are. Then the pubs were forced to pay a lot more, and many of them just dumped the platform as they just couldn't afford it.

During all this most of the free channels became part of the basic sky package, so you had to pay and pay. Sky plus was good, but you had to keep paying up to watch your recordings. The box might have been yours, but the recordings you made on it certainly were not, even those of public broadcasters, who didn't mind private recordings being kept provided they were just that.

I dumped Sky six years ago, and my two sky dishes are now unused. Freeview and Netflix etc. fill my needs, and I am probably a couple of grand better off for it too. I don't miss Sky at all.

They pestered me for years afterwards with cheap offers to return, but I'll never go back. I was a subscriber continuously right from the start, in the late eighties initially using a stand alone Videocrypt unit connected to an Amstrad SRX 200. I think Sky's days could even be numbered, at least in its present form.

13. Zippy's Sausage Factory

How long will it take before the MayBot overrides that recommendation?

I'm guessing she'll announce it's being overturned somewhere between 9:00am and 9:01am on the 1st of May...

14. RonWheeler

While we're at it

Kill the BBC. Damned monopoly from hell.

1. Youngone Silver badge

Re: While we're at it

Thanks for your interest Rupert.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Like-minded people

Seems to me that Trump and Murdoch are both of like minds. Utterly ruthless, totally selfish and completely without any vestige of common decency or charm. Not on MY Christmas card list - that's for sure.

16. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Murdoch's one redeeming feature

He thinks Trump is a f*cking idiot.

1. Aladdin Sane

Re: Murdoch's one redeeming feature

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

17. Green Nigel 42

Is there any truth in the rumour that the Devil has sold his soul to the Murdock?

1. Aladdin Sane

Word is, it was a hostile takeover.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon