back to article Nominations open for comp restoration gong, the Tony Sale Award

A biennial award backed by the National Museum of Computing for "achievements in computer conservation or restoration" has opened its nominations. The Computer Conservation Society's Tony Sale Award, first given out in 2012, is looking "to recognise a singular achievement in the area of computer conservation and restoration" …

1. Flakk
    Trollface

I'd like to nominate archive.org's Wayback Machine for preserving the Internet as it was before Silicon Valley ruined it.

[This comment best viewed with Netscape Navigator!]

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Stoneshop
      FAIL

Bah

How about nominating someone, or a group, involved in restoring or keeping running machines not less than 30 years old?

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
        Thumb Up

Re: 30yr old machines

I agree.

The TMoC is a great place to visit. I've been a member for several years. The people there know a thing or two about computers from before Intel.

When you start to understand some of the things they did in those buildings on WW2, you can't help but shake your head in amazement. Some of the stuff they did especially w.r.t breaking the Lorenz code without ever seeing a machine was stunning. Some of their work is still classified (really).

I'm sure that if you have some interesting bits of old kit, they'd be happy to receive it.

PS

If you have the source kit for RSX-11M/Plus then I know that they'd welcome it with open arms.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Any who manages to prevent the final IBM implosion must surely stand a good chance.

4. Phil Endecott

How about that lovely company who are making a replica of that 1980s classic the Sinclair Spectrum?

:-)

5. Mark 85

After reading various commentards posts to various articles, on what they have hidden in their attics/basements, I suspect that there's quite a few of them that could qualify for an award. I'm just not sure what award they should qualify for...

Disclaimer: I probably would qualify for entry in the "Pack Rat of the Year" award, but probably not even get an honorable mention.

1. Stoneshop
      Pint

I'm just not sure what award they should qualify for...

There are several categories:

- The Tardis Award for ostensibly storing at least double the overall volume of a shed inside that same shed.

- The Librarian's Ribbon for knowing by heart all the items stored, and their exact location. An additional medal can be gained for knowing what the function of at least 50% of said items is (this to allow a certain number of widgets "I have no frigging idea what it's for exactly, but it looked worth saving" like we all have).

- Lifetime membership of the Society for Putting Things on top of Other Things, for, well, having put impressive numbers of Things on top of Other Things.

1. BebopWeBop
        Angel

Re: I'm just not sure what award they should qualify for...

Lifetime membership of the Society for Putting Things on top of Other Things, for, well, having put impressive numbers of Things on top of Other Things.

shurely life time membership of the Queue Society (a broad church incorporating the LIFO and FIFO societies)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon