back to article Causes of software development woes

"Agile development" can mean different things to different people. To some it's about easing up on traditional rigour, and even legitimising a quick-and-dirty approach to getting stuff out of the door. To others it's about implementing a different kind of rigour, in order to bust project backlogs in a more robust manner, and …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

And that's why...

You should always have these things in writing and signed off by someone at the highest level...

So that, if someone comes whining about wanting some feature changed or added, you can simply tell them that it's going to cost them extra...

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Re: And that's why...

Lovely idea, something I've done myself. However, you don't take in to consideration the following issue:

The stakeholder - in my instances the guy who pays my wages - see's it as your job to do what he says. If he changes his mind, then it's up to you to do it again. The fact you've agreed to something is irrelevant to the fact that you're employed to do what they ask for, and if you've wasted your time that's not their concern.

To be a developer today is to be a navvy on the railways 100 years ago. Do what you're told, doesn't matter how tough the job is, if you don't like it then there'll always be someone else to replace you. Don't ever kid yourself in to thinking you're the Alpha and Omega of a project and can't be replaced.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

and if you've wasted your time that's not their concern.

But I haven’t wasted a second of MY time. Only the time my employer is paying for anyway. If they want to send me off on a wild goose chase, that’s up to them, it’s their money.

1. wolfetone Silver badge

"But I haven’t wasted a second of MY time. Only the time my employer is paying for anyway. If they want to send me off on a wild goose chase, that’s up to them, it’s their money."

That all depends on the way you look at it.

If you're a 20 year old developer, fresh out of school, that is the sort of mindset they have. It's all about the money.

When you get older, your priorities change. Would you rather work longer effectively repeating your work for the sake of an extra few quid, or would you rather it was done properly and agreed so you could go home at a respectable time and put your child to bed?

There's no right answer to it, and I'd agree with both statements. However, right now, I would only agree with the latter. My 20 year old self though would've agreed with you.

Life is far too short to treat any gobshite boss's demands as wasting their money. It's wasting your time, and you only have a finite amount of it.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Would you rather work longer effectively repeating your work for the sake of an extra few quid, or would you rather it was done properly and agreed so you could go home at a respectable time and put your child to bed?

No, I don’t work longer. The way I see it is my employer buys from me 40 hours a week, and they may spend those hours however they see fit. If my boss misallocates my time then that is on them. I make sure there’s the evidence if I ever need it that a days work for a days pay has always been done.

1. JohnFen

"The way I see it is my employer buys from me 40 hours a week"

That was the way I saw it at the front end of my career. Now, the way I see it is that my employer is paying me more for my expertise, experience, and insight than for the number of hours that I work.

2. Andrew Moore

"No, I don’t work longer. The way I see it is my employer buys from me 40 hours a week, and they may spend those hours however they see fit. "

I think there is a vast difference between being employed as a programmer and being contracted to develop a specific application. In the first instance you are most likely salaried; in the second it's most likely to be a fixed, negotiated price. The problem with the second scenario is when the client decides that they want more than they paid for, and are refusing to renegotiate a price and/or are withholding money owed.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"would you rather it was done properly and agreed so you could go home at a respectable time and put your child to bed?...Life is far too short to treat any gobshite boss's demands as wasting their money. It's wasting your time, and you only have a finite amount of it."

Look on the time you spend after you've gone home as your time. What you do with it is funded by their money. If they're determined to get as little as possible for it that's their problem.

However, a good plan if the instructions are verbal is to follow up each change of mind statement of requirements with an email saying what you understand them to have said. That set of emails becomes part of the project documentation.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
              Unhappy

"statement of requirements with an email saying what you understand them to have said. "

This is the # 1 way to CYA. But make sure you keep an off site, off line copy, to avoid "The email archive got deleted" defense.

One hopes eventually the smarter PHB's will cotton on that what they say has consequences and the more accurate they can describe what they think is wanted the better chance they have of getting it.

At least that's the more positive view of doing this.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: "statement of requirements with an email saying what you understand them to have said. "

But make sure you keep an off site, off line copy, to avoid "The email archive got deleted" defense.

Goes without saying. Also, include it in the project documentation that gets distributed to all the project team. That way it becomes more difficult to deny that the off-site copy's kosher.

2. Adam 1

> That set of emails becomes part of the project documentation.

I would caution about using emails as project documentation. In 5 years time when some intended is being called a bug, the email from <insert old broom from customer who was frog marched out two years ago> to <insert old manager who jumped before they were pushed six months back> is not going to help you if those mailboxes are long dead.

I would suggest using something like confluence to capture the requirements. If you think that the customer (which could be an internal customer) is likely to try something on then by all means attach an email as pdf as a sign off to wave around later, but don't rely on outlook as a knowledge repository. Please.

3. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Oddly enough, I've just started adding emails of this nature to a 'documentation' directory in the main git repository. Anon because the need to do this shows, well, management not having their shit together really.

3. Lysenko

Life is far too short to treat any gobshite boss's demands as wasting their money. It's wasting your time, and you only have a finite amount of it.

I look at it more in terms of being a criminal defence barrister. You're probably going to fail 90% of the time and the client will regularly undermine both you and themselves, but in the end, that's irrelevant. You don't argue the case because you expect to win, you do it because you enjoy the intellectual challenge of the process. If the client blows up the project then they're the one paying the fine, not you.

4. Paper

Agree with wolfetone. Sometimes it's more than about money.

I enjoy completing a project, and I want to make sure that the results please the customer, and their customers. So if they want a minor change before release that will take me a couple of hours or less, why not? It feels good to produce quality (and it gets you noticed too).

If it's going to take longer, I would inform them of that but then suggest alternative shortcuts around that so that they can get their product out of the door.

5. JohnFen

"When you get older, your priorities change. Would you rather work longer effectively repeating your work for the sake of an extra few quid, or would you rather it was done properly and agreed so you could go home at a respectable time and put your child to bed?"

This is true -- and that's why when you reach that point in your career, it becomes very important to not put up with the sorts of employers who are strict "my way or the highway" types. Fortunately, you probably also have enough experience that you can find a better employer elsewhere.

In my younger days, I was just happy to be working in my chosen field and would put up with quite a lot of BS for the opportunity. Now that decades have passed, I'm much pickier about who I'm working for, and have no problems quitting if the match isn't good.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      FAIL

And that's why...

you need mechanisms in place to handle that.

Except most British firms I'm aware of are a bit s**t about capturing requirements, let alone tracking them, seeing how the system delivered conforms to them, what's outstanding.

Because that would usually (to PHB's) translate as "Spend money on non-core software that does not directly help the business."

And so the fail continues.

2. HmmmYes

Agile is not a methodology.

Its inexact way of trying to define what you're meant to be doing.

No problem with that, as long as it recognised that its a small team creating a prototype.

Might be differerent when you have 50+ people working on a release, to a deadline.

1. Adam 1

Agile is fine

The problem is when someone thinks that it equates to "unplanned", or that changing requirements has no consequences.

When you boil it down, the claims it makes are hardly controversial. "Issues discovered early on in a process are cheaper to remedy than those found later", so tasks are supposed to be self contained a and be achievable in half a day. Sprints are equally a week or two so idea to usable feature is much shorter. If it is found to be a dumb feature, it is not likely to be intricately linked to hundreds of other features and therefore ridiculously expensive to change.

Analysis and design is really a Goldilocks artform. Too little, and the inevitable feature request comes in that requires an entirely new implementation even though in the customer's eyes, the request is simple. Too much, and projects get stuck in analysis paralysis, too scared to head down a direction because of unknown unknowns, or worse where the requirements change and developers become unwilling to throw away that code they have so much mentally invested in, even if a clean slate would be a better spot to start.

Of course, it is the unit tests and continuous integration that makes it possible to deeply refactor code without risking breakage, and these are often what companies won't invest in. It is always seen as an overhead, and the future efficiencies it creates are never credited to it.

3. Paul Herber Silver badge

Dear architect, please design me a new house, I'm not sure how many bedrooms I want, somewhere between 2 and 7 should do the trick, some on the ground floor, some upstairs, maybe. I'll also want a good sized basement for the snooker table. I don't think the house will need much in the way of foundations as the rock in this area is solid granite. I might also want an underground garage for two or three cars as well as a workshop and storage space. You can draw up plans for all the possible options so I can decide what I want. I'm happy to finalise the design there and then but bear in mind that my wife will have something to say on most aspects of the house. You should also consider discussing the design with the in-laws, they will be unhappy with whatever you design but will not say a word about it until the build is finished. Please take this into account.

1. fandom

What makes you think that architects aren't treated like that?

Actually, I have twice the misfortune of being neighbour to an architect remodeling his home. You would think that, being architects, they would have the knowledge and the experience to plan everyting in advance.

You would be wrong, it was more like coming one day to tell the workers what to do and coming back the following day to tell to tear it down and do something else.

1. DropBear

Ehhh, remodeling these days seems to be considered hardly a bigger deal than reshuffling furniture repeatedly until you like it, only you're reshuffling non-load-bearing walls instead (granted, hella unpleasant if you live next door). On the other hand I have doubts that construction of a new house would commence without an existing complete set of plans (such as they are), or that the architect would be willing to change anything past that point without discussing supplementary compensation up front...

2. T. F. M. Reader

@fandom: "What makes you think that architects aren't treated like that?"

Most peoplemanagers have an intuitive idea of the difficulties and limitation inherent in building houses, bridges, railroads, etc., even though they have never worked in the construction industry. They realize that a) laws of Nature pose some limitations on what is feasible, and b) once something has been built changing it will be very difficult and costly and disruptive. They may not have a detailed understanding of the issues inherent in building a 100-storey skyscraper, but they intuitively feel that a 2000-storey building may not be a feasible task for a 10-man crew. It is probably the same kind of intuition that made them decent football players in the 6th grade despite lousy marks in Newtonian mechanics.

Thus, your typical laypersonmanager will not tell an architect "I said I needed a house for a family of four, but actually the house may or may not be converted to a major hotel 6 months or less after construction is completed" or "the bridge must be 10 miles long, it should only have support on the right bank, none in the middle, and the left bank end must not touch the ground at all" or "don't worry about water and sewage pipes at this time, we can add them after the building is built and populated, let's see first if more than a few tenants ask for them".

However, if anyone tells me he has never encountered very similar statements relating to software requirements I will assume that he is very new to the business.

2. albaleo

I'm guessing architects get such requests all the time. They're perhaps a little luckier in that they can whip up a quick sketch to show some ideas, and hopefully they can produce an agreed design that forms the basis of their contract. And all this before a brick is laid. In my experience, we don't have that luxury with software development. We need to build some software first before we can test it out on some real data. And if you work in education like me, you can be pretty sure that the first real data you run it against looks nothing like the sample data you were provided with three months earlier.

1. PatientOne

"I'm guessing architects get such requests all the time."

Indeed, it is common, and not just for Architects. The main difference, however, is the earlier the changes, the easier to impliment, and late changes can be very, very, very expensive.

With Civils projects, and with building in general, adding to the side isn't that bad, but adding another level means working from foundations upwards. In IT terms, it means changing the core code, then checking each and every associated module.

That's not to say Construction can't be agile: They can work to the specification and deliver those parts that are completed as they're ready. It's simply that you can't keep changing the design as you go without major cost consequences. Just ask the Scottish Parliament about that one :p

2. Bananimal

What's to stop you using a UX professional to research, wireframe, prototype and test before you build it? You get early feedback from the users, you have better defined requirements before you start building.

The excuse that you need to build it first, or that you need real data is rarely true in software development where there is an interface exposed to the user. It can be faked for early feedback, issues can be ironed out at low cost prior to build.

3. Adam 1

Now try not to cry when you watch this.

4. Crisp

Can you do us a sort of dashboard thingy with graphs and pie charts and stuff?

Me: Sure, what kind of statistics do you want those graphs to display?

PHB: I don't know... Make something up.

8 hours later...

PHB: Oh no, that's not what I wanted at all. What do any of these numbers mean?

Me: Nothing, you told me to make them up.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Can you do us a sort of dashboard thingy with graphs and pie charts and stuff?

Yah, except when you utter your cute punch line "Nothing, you told me to make them up," you get torn off a strip for insolence and obstructionism - and it goes in your personnel file.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Can you do us a sort of dashboard thingy with graphs and pie charts and stuff?

"This is a test GUI generated with agile methodology to iterate towards the desired result. At the moment these fields are placeholders, what user story would you like to implement?"

Same thing, sounds much better, like all of agile. And it doesn't get you ticked off.

Yah, except when you utter your cute punch line "Nothing, you told me to make them up," you get torn off a strip for insolence and obstructionism

That's why you confirm your instructions by email. And you use less cute, more business-like terminology: "You suggested that arbitrary data be inserted as place-holders until real data is available.".

3. JohnFen

"and it goes in your personnel file"

I stopped caring about what goes in my "personnel file" decades ago, since the contents of that file don't mean anything outside of the company that holds the file. The only "permanent record" that impacts me is the one that affects my general employability, not the one that affects my standing at a particular company.

I only care about doing the best work that I can. And you know what? That goes in your "personnel file" too.

5. Mark Honman

Foundations

Using the building analogy, it is possible to vary the construction along the way, as long as the building's foundations are sufficient. You can even add a second story if the original foundations are deep enough.

Extensions are a pain because their foundations will have to be designed to become as one with the original foundations.

In terms of software requirements, then, it's important to get the big picture of what the system might grow into, as a starting point for system design. That allows one to make appropriate platform and system architecture decisions that should prevent the system running into a brick wall as it grows.

There are 2 problems, of course:

The more capable the platform & more sophisticated the architecture, the longer it takes to get to something that stakeholders can see "turning its wheels".

Ultimately every successful system hits that brick wall where its requirements have outgrown the foundations. Succession planning is essential; we should be thinking about scheduling "moves to a new building" well before they become necessary.

What remains very difficult is making the case for the cost-effectiveness of a re-write; that as a system's actual requirements diverged from the requirements on which its design conception is based, there is a crossover point where the cost of maintaining multiple levels of workaround becomes greater than the cost of a re-write.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Foundations

"Using the building analogy, it is possible to vary the construction along the way, as long as the building's foundations are sufficient. You can even add a second story if the original foundations are deep enough".

Indeed, this is a large part of my understanding of software architecture. It involves creating a design with built-in dimensions of flexibility - and those dimensions should correspond to the types of change or extension likely to be requested in future.

Of course, that's far from easy. It calls for a Jerry Weinberg level of insight and understanding - of the organization and how it works as well as the software and how it works.

Re: Foundations

"In terms of software requirements, then, it's important to get the big picture of what the system might grow into, as a starting point for system design. That allows one to make appropriate platform and system architecture decisions that should prevent the system running into a brick wall as it grows."

I can't upvote this enough. Ask yourself what's the general problem of which the initial requirement is an example. Solve that general problem. It might not necessarily be much harder, if at all, than solving the initial one and it will stand a very good chance of being easier than the problem defined by the changes of mind between the start and the deadline.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"it's important to get the big picture of what the system might grow into"

Beware, it could also lead to an over-engineering trap - if you don't have really clear "what the system might grow into", and how long it will take to get there.

I've seen system designed as if they needed to store and analyze the CERN LHC data, instead of a medium-size company. Often, one of the reason was to sell them as much stuff as possible, and earn from that.

"Solve that general problem." - another risky proposition. The "general problem" may require far more complexity and resources, and if you don't plan to solve the same problem over and over again, you may find you have to tackle so many dimensions a solution is very hard to implement, and when done, it doesn't still solve the "general problem". It's called the "framework" approach...

Re: "it's important to get the big picture of what the system might grow into"

Beware, it could also lead to an over-engineering trap - if you don't have really clear "what the system might grow into", and how long it will take to get there.

But beware also the under-engineering trap. I had a client who had a slew of small applications, each hacked out to solve almost the same problem. Every time a customer gave them a slightly different job they wrote a new application to do it. Could a single application replace them all and tackle all the other jobs in the same category? Yes it could.

And they still didn't learn. The next, far more complex requirement came along. The contract required two types of job, both basically take in the data (in XML) rearrange it to drive the production process, batch it up, inspect the result and recycle items that failed QA into the next batch. Result: they insisted on writing two systems, one for each job.

The next, more complex contract after that I got far more of a hand in specifying as well as developing. Most of the code to be inherited from the previous one got thrown out (in retrospect I should have thrown more out) and the replacement made more versatile so, with minor extensions, it coped with more and more additions to that contract and a subsequent one. After all, when you looked at the general problem it was just a set of rules engines to provide different bits of the functionality - and being XML, XMLT is a pretty handy rules engine. Just throw in some new rules (mostly style sheets).

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"But beware also the under-engineering trap."

Sure - you have to find the sweet spot between the two extremes. Usually tech people have a tendency to over-engineer (but the truly lazy ones), while the customer and management to under-engineer to reduce costs or increase revenues. Good requirements and processes need to mediate, and pin-point the right solution taking into account the constraints, which could be also users and maintenance people skills, etc. etc.

6. Zippy's Sausage Factory
    Mushroom

I rant and rave at people who advocate agile as being "agile is the way to do everything, you're either agile or you're doing it wrong, agile will solve all your problems", because generally they're trying to solve the wrong problem.

The problem is that "agile" is such a buzzword for management that, like most buzzwords, they don't see past it and believe it's a magic bullet. "Never mind the problems caused by the business, clearly the problem is the developers aren't 'agile'. So we don't have to address our actual problems, just tell IT to be 'agile' and it'll all be fantastic."

A lot of this problem is caused, or at least made worse, by the slew of terrible books about "how to implement agile" that spend most of their time parroting this ridiculous utopian notion that you don't need to do any actual thinking, or make any changes to the any other part of the business, just adopt "agile" software development processes and everything will come right (agile in this case being nothing to do with the agile manifesto, but whatever snake oil training said "agile practitioner" wants to sell you).

And yes, there are organisations who actually make agile work, but they are few and far between as far as I can tell, and I've tended to find that they would probably work pretty well with almost any project management process, for the simple reason that they encourage clear requirement finding and definition in the first place. Which is, let's face it, the thing that actually makes the most difference anyway, regardless of whether you adopt agile, PRINCE2, waterfall, SSADM or any other requirement management process.

The problem is that "agile" is such a buzzword for management that, like most buzzwords, they don't see past it and believe it's a magic bullet.

And the fate of management buzzwords - achieved in a very short time - is to become meaningless.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Been there, done that, ate the pie

'A lot of this problem is caused, or at least made worse, by the slew of terrible books about "how to implement agile" ...'

I'm right with you - because after spending years working with people who used the waterfall process in an extremely detailed and well-thought out way, I had the misfortune to get another job editing software books. Many of which were exactly along the lines you criticize.

More times than I like to remember I had to challenge assertions in the introduction that "no successful project has ever been accomplished using waterfall". Oh dear. Should I start with OS/360 or the various NASA packages that got people into orbit and onto the Moon? How about every avionics package that controlled any plane you flew in? Or perhaps Windows, or Linux, or the RT/embedded OS of your choice... and on and on and on.

7. adrian lynch

The user is not your enemy

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

He bloody well is.

1. JohnFen

What a strange stance to take, to consider the people you are working to properly serve and support -- the users (a/k/a the customer, a/k/a the people paying your wage) -- your enemy.

I wonder how common that attitude is, and if it's connected to the general decline of software quality over the last decade or so.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@ adrian lynch

Indeed, usually it's your manager or the salesman who promised the impossible or the psost sales team who screwed up customer requirements etc ...

Usually problem somewhere between dev team and customer

AC, obv

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"The user is not your enemy"

The *real* user usually is not, unless you're in a situation when they are happy with the actual situation, and someone is forcing unwelcome changes from the top.

Just, usually, to get at them, you have to get through layers of people who actually don't use the software but are in charge of some part of its acquisition, so they need to have their say and look "smart".

One of the key action for good requirement is to identify the real users and get at them, look at what they need, what they expect, maybe suggest - subtly - ways to improve their work - don't force "revolutions" if it's not what they really ask for. Most managers, if users are happy, will accept a solution because that makes their job easier.

Yes, you can still meet the old jerk, you have to understand how to neutralize them, when possible.

It's a social skill - something you also need to gather requirements.

4. Dagg Silver badge
      Mushroom

The user is not your enemy

Correct the bloody BA is the enemy!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Eliciting requirements is hard

One issue I often encountered, is that people tasked to eliciting requirements are not really the right one. In this situation there are several ways to do it wrong - you could be too business oriented with a lack of technical understanding, leading to impossible or very expensive solutions, you could be too technical, leading to superb technical solutions that don't address the customer needs, or be a useless office document filler.

What you need is someone able to understand the customer domain well enough, also with enough technical knowledge to "guide" the customer when needed towards a good solution, without forcing it into the wrong one just to sell or use one technology or the other. They need also to be able to communicate and manage requirements properly - especially requirements are not marketing brochures or letters to Santa Claus. People writing requirements MUST NOT come from sales or marketing.

These people are hard to find, and means you can't believe to be able to deliver any software project you may encounter.

Then you need proper tools to manage requirement lifecycle and their relationship with tests.

Unluckily, most of the tools I've used, even expensive commercial ones, are usually uncomfortable to use. Since they moved to web interfaces, even more so. We would need really "agile" - in the simplest and truest meaning of the word - tools - tools quick and comfortable to use, not tools that need more time to be cared for than actually creating the product.

I need something easy to navigate, manipulate, change, using several views and dimension at the same time, in different windows when needed, and everything kept in sync with local changes without roundtrips to a web server,l and remote changes when needed. Something that works as well with a mouse and without it, when your hands are both on the keyboard. I don't care if it doesn't have a phone app or a mobile-friendly site - I don't manage requirements on a phone, it's the worst tool.

9. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

One tool I used to use was Enterprise Architect. In particular it had an option to sketch out a user interface and then add on actions in the manner of a Use Case diagram. You could them produce a narrative of what happens if the user undertakes a particular action. For instance a drop down menu could have actions associated with User selects "Missile alert" and User selects "Test missile alert". It gives the user an impression of what the interface will look like, what actions will be available and what will then happen. It also serves as a straightforward guide to implementation as it provides a list of event handlers and what they should do.

1. Vanir

Enterprise Architect CASE tool

@Doctor Syntax

One of the best CASE tools around for the price. Just don't say this in a programing job interview for a company that does 'Agile' - requirements? we use TDD for capturing requirements! Scrum companies employs user stories which is use cases to me.

'Agile' practices are the antithesis to an agile mindset.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Here's the UI for anyone who's interested. It's atrocious.

10. Nimby
    Pint

In all my years in software, I have leared...

1. Management expects to be able to wave a magic wand and software will just instantly appear.

2. Users don't know what they want, even when they know what they want.

3. Ask 100 users, get 101 different answers.

4. The full specs are in the mail.

5. The software is always wrong.

6. Bugs happen.

7. And you will never have enough time.

Honestly, you just can't take software development seriously anymore. Design documents, signatures, none of it will be right even when you try. Signatures are worth less than the paper they are written on. No one ever has enough time to do things the right way. And no one tests properly. You wake up one day to finding that your entire software package is a deck of cards, held together with gum and duct tape, while marketing just told customers to use it in the rain and sales just sold 15 upgrades based on promising customers features which do not exist and which conflict with one another. And it's all your fault.

You cannot win. NO methodology can handle the idiocy involved. All that matters is that you have a system, whichever it may be, and you can pretend to adhere to it while ignoring it as often as needed to get the actual job done.

1. onefang

Re: In all my years in software, I have leared...

"You wake up one day to finding that your entire software package is a deck of cards, held together with gum and duct tape"

I may have been in software for a few more years than you. I remember when entire software packages actually where decks of cards. Though holding them together with gum and duct tape was a really bad idea, made them indigestible for the card readers.

1. Robert D Bank

bloody cards, remember them well, not fondly, for example when you have 7 tray loads to input and you drop a tray, having to resort them which often meant more than one pass, or one or more cards jam and get munched in the middle of the load or punch output.

A programmer at the time though was telling he used to program on an actual board of pins that you had to physically make wire connections between, so not to complain!

When you have that sort of back-ground you REALLY understand how critical requirements gathering is. It shouldn't be any different now. Sure there's a lot more readily available sources of information to work with and it's immeasurably faster to collate, but it doesn't substitute for laziness or lack of wholistic and critical thinking.

Recently seen some vAgilister posting some cr4p about 'don't do this, don't do that, just start!' I would love to give that prick a car without a steering wheel or breaks and say the same thing to them.

2. Oengus

"3. Ask 100 users, get 101 different answers."

Your users are remarkable. If I ask 100 of my users I'll get several hundred different responses (especially if the users can talk to one another). Each user will have multiple ideas about what they want and when they hear other answers they will change their mind and modify the other users' requirement to make it a different requirement.

3. Dan 55 Silver badge

Due to El Reg's broken interface I can't upvote you 100 times. I'll report it as a bug...

11. Paper

The developer has a role to play too...

One way to mitigate requirement drift is to firstly assess what they are least sure about and begin development on that, then show them midway through what it would look like. They will give you feedback and you can adjust based on that.

Another way is to develop generically as possible so as to leave your options open. This will increase the development time a little, but the customer doesn't need to know that, and generally programming managers will appreciate that if they are tech savvy.

Etc etc. None of this is new stuff. However I often see developers throw these out of the window trying to aim for speed and completion. Initially it looks good, but it produces poor results though.

1. Zippy's Sausage Factory
      Meh

Re: The developer has a role to play too...

"Generically as possible". Yep. I once had a project where a core requirement was to fax urgent reports direct from the computer.

This was 1994, the project was in VB3. After two weeks spent getting that working, they decided they didn't want that, and would print them and fax manually at the end of the day so the managers could check them first.

I was then asked what I'd been doing for two weeks because wasn't it clear that they didn't want that? Well, no - nobody told me that. So why was I two weeks behind then?

Honestly... I wish I was making it up...

12. cschneid

catchy methodology names

The methodology my team tended to use was "find out what is needed and then deliver it." I'm surprised it's not more widely used. Maybe it needs a catchy name, perhaps "The Belgian Gambit."

Re: catchy methodology names

"find out what is needed and then deliver it." (my emphasis)

Not necessarily what's wanted.

13. SVV

A million different things to a million different people

If you want a definitive definition of Agile defined, see title above That this is the only 100% truthful thing you can say about it is proved by the discussion in this comments thread Many good ideas anfd observations have surfaced over the years in the course of the never-ending discussion seeking to define the divine definition of the nature of this holy grail, so I won't suggest that we should throw the baby out with the bathwater But it turned out to be a big bath and it is very full of water Really this all comes down to being able to manage change effectively - being calm and having a proper process to manage it works best, running round in a blind panic hinders rather than helps Hypes don't help things one bit- keep remembering there is no silver bullet.

"But with lots more activity 'going digital' across the business as a whole, volatility is becoming the norm rather than the exception."

Please let me know if anybody has ever worked anywhere where volatility was the exception rather than the norm (waterfall projects where it was only realised at the very end, after months of calm coding, that the system was totally not what was needed are not eligible for this competition) Have I and all the people I ever worked with somehow trodden a 25 year path through this industry where cluelessness and incompetence were rife rather than rare, and system requirements changed in a volatile way all the time, rather than the more common utopian world of zen calm and bliss that the article's author suggests most people worked in?

14. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

To Be, or To Be Not Thought To Be and Is, is a Leading Question for Answerers*

Put simply, whether you are using Agile or not, if you are in an environment where requirements are either iteratively defined or constantly evolving, you need mechanisms in place to handle that.

SCADA Systems Achilles Heel ....and ITs Perpetual Systemic Weakness for Far Fetched Vulnerability Exploitation.

* El Reg Communards and Commentards.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: To Be, or To Be Not Thought To Be and Is, is a Leading Question for Answerers*

Agile is as agile does ...... and here be an ACTive AI Beta Test Bed with Huge Root Attack Vectors and Colossal Virtually Vulnerable Footprint ......... Skynet Now: Pentagon Deploys Terrorist-Hunting Artificial Intelligence

What do imagine is UKGBNI MOD Input/Leading Output? Do they have any Vital Key Players in such a supposed Great Game Changer? Or do they Play out in Front Exploiting Other More Effective Prime Fields with evidence kept operational scant for reasons which should be obvious ..... ie Loose Lips Sink Ships?

15. disinterested observer

Requirements are always a nightmare

Imagine for a moment that you're tasked with managing a replacement process for one that's failing badly. The business can't keep anyone doing this - essential - job for more than two months because the process is so fucking awkward that they quit.

Let's assume the current process is built of a big set of data, held in Oracle and a few other places, manipulated by spreadsheets, published to the whole company and then processed. Let's say it affects employee pay, so it's not something you can afford to get wrong.

The correct way to do this would be to use a BA. Hire a decent business process analyst and sort out how it should work. What you can't do - but usually happens - is that somebody goes and asks the users what they want.

What the users want is inevitably going to be what they've already got plus magic that makes it less horrible. This is not a well-defined requirement and we already know the process is fucked up (and almost certainly hard for even a BA to analyse since the users won't know it well because they are by definition new to the job, what with nobody lasting longer than 8 weeks).

The worst case scenario is letting UX talk to the users before the process is set in stone because then you'll get what they've already got with jQuery and extra magic whereby impossible data is displayed instantly and billions of calulations are performed to fill in every read-ahead dropdown.

Developers will then inform UX that what they've ordered is impossible, UX will hurl all toys forcefully from the pram and insist "we've tested this", devs will respond by demanding to see the test conditions and metrics, UX will patronisingly explain that "testing" means "showing it to the users and they like it so now you have to make it" whereupon any decent set of devs will proceed by utterly ignoring UX and making their best guess at what works. Which will work but nobody will like it.

I'm not evangelising BAs here. There are good BAs, bad BAs and utterly incompetent BAs. But you really need the process sorted before you even take a step or your end result is guaranteed to be bad. And yes, devs lack soft skills that UX - for example - don't. But there is no substitute for defining the process exactly, even if design and even feature-set remain agile and fluid.

Re: Requirements are always a nightmare

The worst case scenario is letting UX talk to the users anywhere near anything

FTFY

Whatever interface nightmare you come across it's very likely that UX had a hand in it. Perfectly reasonable websites become useless because these numpties got a hand in it.

2. Dagg Silver badge
      WTF?

The correct way to do this would be to use a BA. Hire a decent business process analyst and sort out how it should work.

The problem is that BAs love agile as it means that they can just do a crap half arsed job then throw over fence to dev to get it built.

We even have the buggers having a fleshout where they don't even know what the client problems are and expect dev to tell them the problem and the solution. While the hell didn't they get off their fat arses and talk to the client!

1. disinterested observer

@Dagg -

I don't much care. From the dev/architect point of view, what I want from a BA is basically a single UML data flow diagram and a single UML State Machine. And even the State Machine is fairly optional.

Give me those and I'll design and build you your system. Give me a bunch of HTML "wireframes" that have been "tested" and I walk.

1. Dagg Silver badge

@ disinterested observer

I don't much care. From the dev/architect point of view, what I want from a BA is basically a single UML data flow diagram and a single UML State Machine. And even the State Machine is fairly optional.

That would be luxury! Our lot have no idea about UML. None of them have any ideas about NFRs and even the FRs are full of words like "may", "could", "like".

16. Vanir
    Coat

It starts with a not very agile user / client

For the want of a requirement the specification was lost,

For the want of a specification the design was lost,

For the want of a design the implementation was lost,

For the want of an implementation the project was lost,

For the want of a project money was lost,

And all for the want of a requirement”

17. Daniel von Asmuth
    Holmes

Speed kills

If requirements are ambiguous, implement it in Visual Basic, so that the result will be ambiguous too.

Agile seems to mean releasing new software versions frequently. Microsoft knows that customers are happy with one release every three years, which is supported for twelve years. If you have an urgent bug fix, you can be sure that a large percentage of sites will not have updated after a year. Frequent releases means more effort on design, documentation and such formalities, rather than actual coding.

Today there is little demand for new software or new features. The first concern is security, the second is reliability, the third concern is performance and the fourth cost of purchase and support.

Some companies still test software instead of proving the code correct with respect to a mathematically exact specification. Sure, user requirements are vague at best, but Apple and Microsoft kept developing new products and read reviews of version 1.0 for ideas for next versions. Where I used to work, 'user requirements' were written by the product manager and underlings nor customers were consulted. One requirement said that the packaged product should take up *at least* 10 MB of disk space, although the author may have meant the opposite (actually delivered a 23 KB package).

18. steelpillow Silver badge
    Joke

Causes:

1. managers

2. standard practices

3. managers

4. corporate resources

5. managers

6. email

7. managers

8. telephones

9. managers

10. the BOFH and PFY

19. kmac499

One useful rule...

Requirements will change, expect it and design/code for it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: One useful rule...

Requirements will change, expect it and design/code for it.

Nah... just sit on your arse for a few weeks until they settle down and then build it. You will still be able to deliver by the exact same deadline that you would if you over designed it over coded it then trimmed out the stuff you built in that is not required.

The big advantage is it keeps your stress level low.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like