back to article Fetch calls Uber's bluff: See you in court, bros!

Advertising company Fetch says it wants a federal court to hear its challenge to Uber's claims of 'click fraud' in mobile ads. The American arm of the UK-based ad firm filed a complaint on Tuesday seeking to have a federal court hear its challenge to the suit Uber filed in September of 2017 over the handling of fraudulent ad …

1. The Nazz

Maybe i've woken up from a dream but wouldn't it be excellent if the executives from both businesses were paired up to share the same cells for the next few years?

Meanwhile the Judge summed up : "Uber, you deliberately live outside of the law, regulation and the like as much as and for as long as possible. So if, for once, you are on the wrong end of the stick tough shit."

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

I'm torn...

Uber is suing an ad company who are counter suing Uber. I can't decide which side I want to win. Is it wrong to be on the side of the lawyers this time?

1. veti Silver badge

Re: I'm torn...

Just remember the golden rule: whoever wins, we lose.

Uber wins? (and I threw up a little in my mouth just typing that) - then new rules appear imposing ridiculous record-keeping requirements on advertising companies, and now no-one except Google can even get into the market.

Fetch wins? - that would be seen as a vindication of click rates, which have always been deeply suspect (and suspected), and would be a shot in the arm for in-app advertising, with the obvious depressing consequences.

1. RyokuMas
        Facepalm

"... and would be a shot in the arm for in-app advertising..."

Well, when this sort of attitude is so prevalent, it is only to be expected.

If people had not been so suckered by the lure of "free" stuff at the beginning, we would not be in this mess.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Fetch wins? - that would be seen as a vindication of click rates

Only in a simplistic view. What it will confirm is that partway through a deal you can't magically reinvent the terms and then sue if the other side don't agree.

3. FozzyBear
    Mushroom

The only way we could win is if during the court session all senior executives are present and a stray comet ploughs into the court house, wiping out the executives and the lawyers at the same time.

4. frank ly

'Beauty' contest for courts?

"... Uber wants to pick a court that is more favorable to its case by asking the district court dismiss the claim and allow it pursue the case in a state court."

How does that even happen?

1. lglethal Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: 'Beauty' contest for courts?

<cue appropriate music>

America - Fuck Yeah!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

A truly sad reality

US litigators appear to have a database of every judgement from every court reflecting the tendencies and biases of every lawmaker in the land.

Armed with this, you can always pitch your case into the courtroom most likely to agree with your point of view.

This happens, over and over and over. Constantly.

But the system isn't broken. Au Contraire, they have the best systems.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Re: A truly sad reality

But the system isn't broken. Au Contraire, they have the best systems

..that money can buy. The more money, the best-er the system.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like